Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2015, 05:58   #151
Mog

Re: Howard & Bullough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Did he work in stores in the 70's Mog ? I think I remember him.
No Dave, Unfortunately he died due to very bad burns to his whole body. Maybe in the mid to late fifties. He was a mate of my Dad Dave Stevenson who also had half of his hand chopped off when a large lump of metal fell onto him about 1956 ish.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2015, 17:19   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Served my apprenticeship at Howard & Bulloughs from 69-73, worked in the milling, drilling, inspection,heavy machine shop, and ended up in the tool room. Worked on the fitting bench, but also got roped into the slotter, and planer work owing to my previous experience. There were several guys that worked in the tool room that were older than paint. The three Holden brothers, Alex Staff,Wolstenhome Penny, Jack Hargreaves, Jack Heys to name a few. had the sad news that two guys from the tool room, Alan Pearson and Charlie had passed away last year. Alan was my apprentice instructor in the training school, and also my foreman in the heavy machine shop.

I later took my voluntary redundancy in the mid seventies, and moved to Dusseldorf, Germany. Later was employed by a German company to travel internationally as a service technician. Worked in the middle east for some time, and then was asked to relocate to the USA, and got involved in the construction equipment sales business.

Bulloughs was, and will always be, a good memory for me, not just the building , but the people that worked there.
Tom Holden (Jig Boring(
John Holden (Shaping)
Alf Holden (Bench Fitter)
HeritageHound likes this.
roy elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 21:02   #153

How old are these tokens I found one recently stamped with the number 4700

Last edited by ragner; 14-07-2017 at 21:04.
ragner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 08:14   #154
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragner View Post
How old are these tokens I found one recently stamped with the number 4700
Dunno but i had one in the 60s so must be much older than that, imho
Old 15-07-2017, 16:30   #155
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Bob have you got H /B on your Cashy worked here list
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 22:14   #156
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
Bob have you got H /B on your Cashy worked here list
Heavy Machine Shop on a great big Grinder.
Old 15-07-2017, 22:35   #157
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Those number on bullers checks were used over an over agin as people came and went. I have bullers check numbers in my Accrington Heroes lists, of those who worked at bullers, joined up, and were then discharged back to Bullers on munitions, and were given a different set of checks, so only bullers would ever know who was who at any given time. And as with all other things, there are some real clangers, some dated as leaving before theyd even started, some dated as leaving weeks after they'd left, and were at Caernavon.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 17:13   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
It was January 12th 1967, I was at that fire with the turntable ladder. It started in the drawing offices, and progressed so fast I had to resite the ladder 3 times before the fire was stopped.
A picture taken the morning after.

For those interested a picture of Bulloughs when it was part of Platts.

Retlaw
I recall the fire. My Grandma lived in one of the terraced houses on Brown Street, directly across from the factory. I visited along with my parents every week or so.
On this occasion, the morning after the fire and knowing nothing of it, we found the approach roads blocked off and had to park the car and walk. I mostly recall there was paper everywhere blowing about the streets
HeritageHound likes this.
Geoffblackpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 14:14   #159

Hi John

I'm running a heritage project in Accrington and would love to know more about your experiences at H & B. I've sent you a friend request and it would be great to hear from you.

Many thanks
Trizia
HeritageHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 14:22   #160

Hi Geoff

I was interested in your post. I'm running a heritage project about Accrington workplaces and would like to know more about your memories of the fire. I've sent you a friend request and it would be great if you could get in touch.

thanks, Trizia
HeritageHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:17   #161

Hi Vinny,
Just seen this photo again and realised that (I think) the guy far right on the second row could be my uncle Bert Swain, Son of Dick Swain then Manager of the moulding shop.
Can you or someone else confirm this?
Cheers
Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Road
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 18:04   #162
Junior Member+

Export activity - During The Great War

In 1917 William George Drinkwater (married to my great aunt Elizabeth King) died at Kobe in Japan.

Puzzled as to how he came to be there I found that in April 1916 he travelled with another Accrington man on the ship St Paul to New York.

USA Department of Labor Manifest show that travelling together in 2nd Class are John Arthur Mitchell (age 48) and William George Drinkwater (age 52), two ‘Cotton machinery erectors’ Their passages were paid for by Messrs Talkate Co, 1 Chome, Yokohama

Fortunately J A Mitchell is in Accrington for the 1921 Census which records his employer as Howard and Bullough.

So I come to my question

Are there any company records archived in Accrington which could provide more information about these exports and the employees in 1916?
Robindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 10:50   #163
Senior Member+

I am not aware of any such records, Robindad, either in Accrington library or in the Lan- cashire Archives in Preston. I suggest that you drop a line to the local studies librarian [email protected]
taddy likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 11:13   #164
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I am not aware of any such records, Robindad, either in Accrington library or in the Lan- cashire Archives in Preston. I suggest that you drop a line to the local studies librarian [email protected]
Thanks - will do
Robindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 13:56   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I shall jot that down for myself Bob, Thanks, by the way, do you know that Sue and Dave leave the Peel Park today after 17 years, Regards, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..