Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2009, 12:06   #31
Senior Member+

Howard & Bullough

Are these the metal checks you are mentioning?
dont know where the photo is from, but I do have a couple of these myself anyway.

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Howard and bullough.jpg (30.0 KB, 32 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-08-2009, 13:16   #32
I am Banned

Re: Howard & Bullough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Are these the metal checks you are mentioning?
dont know where the photo is from, but I do have a couple of these myself anyway.

Atarah
Yes thats an overtime check. You put it in a box on the inside of the widow ledge of the watch office as you left.
Every entrance and exit to Bulloughs for the workers had its own watch office, if you were ten minutes late the widow was closed, and you had to knock to hand your check in, you were docked an hours pay for being late.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 20:18   #33

My grandad worked there Jack Wilson , i use to see him through the windows on ormerod st !!
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 22:46   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1 View Post
My grandad worked there Jack Wilson , i use to see him through the windows on ormerod st !!
ian
that wouldn't be the guy with a sis called helen would it ian1?
Old 27-09-2009, 15:03   #35

Hi Trevise2
I live in Kingston Ontario. My dad worked for Howard&Bollough in the fortys.In fountain street. Dont remember much i was very young at the time.
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 15:20   #36
Junior Member+

My dad worked at H and B for almost 40 years - I've been racking my brains to try and remember what he told me before he died 10 years ago. He was a miller I believe and also involved in the union. I remember walking home from school and waiting for him outside an entrance on Ormerod st to walk home with him. I have this vivid memory of hundreds of men running out of the factory to get to their cars!
EmmaMyc likes this.
AnneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 10:33   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneW View Post
My dad worked at H and B for almost 40 years - I've been racking my brains to try and remember what he told me before he died 10 years ago. He was a miller I believe and also involved in the union. I remember walking home from school and waiting for him outside an entrance on Ormerod st to walk home with him. I have this vivid memory of hundreds of men running out of the factory to get to their cars!
They were more than likely running for the bus in those days Anne
Old 28-09-2009, 12:08   #38
Resting in Peace

Mentioned this thread to my friends whilst I was on holiday. My friend's father worked for Howard and Bulloughs and talked about the strike they had for about 16 weeks (?). His father was a heavy smoker and couldn't afford the tobacco, so my friend went around the street collecting 100's of stubs, taking off the tobacco that was left and presented it to him. He was thrilled with his very young son's actions .. smoked it too.

Don't know what the strike was about though ? Would possibly be in the early 50s.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 14:53   #39

Hi travise 2
Just to let you know I am a neighbour. I live in Kingston Ontario.
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 14:42   #40

Brings back a few memories - by chance I googled H&B and saw this thread. I was a student apprentice there from '70 to '73. During that time I spent time in the Jig and Tool Design Office, Tool Room, Design Office and then the Heavy Machine Shop (also 1 spell with the Maintenace replacing the Jetal Black baths down in the bottom floor one Wakes Weeks - not a pleasant job - not sure what the dust was but it prickled on the skin when mixed with sweat). Also did a course at Helmshore.

Seemed that nothing changed quickly in the business. On a visit to Smith and Nephew at Brierfield in '71, I saw carding machines nearly identical the new ones being built at Accrington (fewer guards) but with a H&B manufacturer plate showing 1909!

By '73, I began to doubt whether there was a long term future in textile machinary, saw a job advertised in the North Sea oil and never went back.

Happy memories though.
John A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 20:29   #41

1970/80 were the years the firm I worked for at that time began doing there shipping and warehousing of course it had been renamed platt saco lowell and there machinery was going all over the world the late harry brindle was the chief shipping clerk trailer loads down to jacks motors at turner street blackburn the four warehouses some times jammed full beside the jacks transport platts own transport was used I remember there main driver big brian he must of got fed up sometimes running up and down to blackburn some of the export orders were massive full ship loads sometimes Liverpool was used a lot but I remember a full ship load going to a smaller port at kings lynn and the letter of credit failed and the whole lot went back to blackburn however it still was sold on again In the late seventies platts started to bring in the repco spinning machines from australia via containers into jacks motors for storage at first but it became a good seller so they were not in long alas came the eighties and then they were gone both platts and jacks motors
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 20:40   #42

One of their machines with thanks to The Bolton Museum
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 20:56   #43
God Member

Did Bulloughs manufacture weaving looms ? . Or were they manufacturers of other types of textile equipment (spinning and winding stuff) only reason I ask is , I thought Northrop (Blackburn) were the main manufacturers of weaving looms (the 'original' Lancashire loom and later the 'automatics' ) .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 21:39   #44
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Did Bulloughs manufacture weaving looms ? . Or were they manufacturers of other types of textile equipment (spinning and winding stuff) only reason I ask is , I thought Northrop (Blackburn) were the main manufacturers of weaving looms (the 'original' Lancashire loom and later the 'automatics' ) .
When I was at Bulloughs in the 1950's a large proportion of the output was ring spinning frames.
Never saw or made any patterns for looms.

Lang Bridges was more into cloth printing, stentering and drying machines as well as heavy engineering.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 22:30   #45
God Member

Anyone remember the big fire at H & B? It would have been about 1969....I recall being woken up the following morning and told all the grown-ups had been out on the street (this was in Church) watching the glow in the sky.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..