Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 17:52   #46
I am Banned

Re: Howard & Bullough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Anyone remember the big fire at H & B? It would have been about 1969....I recall being woken up the following morning and told all the grown-ups had been out on the street (this was in Church) watching the glow in the sky.
It was January 12th 1967, I was at that fire with the turntable ladder. It started in the drawing offices, and progressed so fast I had to resite the ladder 3 times before the fire was stopped.
A picture taken the morning after.

For those interested a picture of Bulloughs when it was part of Platts.

Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Howard & Bulloughs.jpg (218.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Bulloughs Fire..jpg (369.6 KB, 98 views)
EmmaMyc likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2009, 21:57   #47
Resting in Peace

Gosh Retlaw .. that made a mess !!

What was the cause ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 22:43   #48
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Gosh Retlaw .. that made a mess !!

What was the cause ?
It was supposed to be an electrical fault. The original call was made by a passer by to the watch office at 2145 hrs, Bulloughs had its own fire brigade then, and they turned out, found they could'nt handle it and called us at 2151 hrs, by that time it was going well. By the early hours of the morning there were 20 pumps and 31 jets in operation. I was knackered when we got relieved at 0900 next day, was at that job for over 11 hrs. Then I was back at work at 1800hrs.

Retlaw.
Old 11-02-2010, 16:56   #49

Served my apprenticeship at Howard & Bulloughs from 69-73, worked in the milling, drilling, inspection,heavy machine shop, and ended up in the tool room. Worked on the fitting bench, but also got roped into the slotter, and planer work owing to my previous experience. There were several guys that worked in the tool room that were older than paint. The three Holden brothers, Alex Staff,Wolstenhome Penny, Jack Hargreaves, Jack Heys to name a few. had the sad news that two guys from the tool room, Alan Pearson and Charlie had passed away last year. Alan was my apprentice instructor in the training school, and also my foreman in the heavy machine shop.

I later took my voluntary redundancy in the mid seventies, and moved to Dusseldorf, Germany. Later was employed by a German company to travel internationally as a service technician. Worked in the middle east for some time, and then was asked to relocate to the USA, and got involved in the construction equipment sales business.

Bulloughs was, and will always be, a good memory for me, not just the building , but the people that worked there.
EmmaMyc and roy elliott like this.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 09:55   #50
Junior Member+

Take a look at where the Bullough family and their pals went for their jollies!

Kinloch Castle - Bullough Family - Isle of Rum

This is the island that featured in the 'Autumn Watch' programme.
Dizzy Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 10:59   #51

There is a very interesting chapter in the book 'Accrington Observed' about Howard & Bullough - which can be borrowed from accy library.

Maria
Mariam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 02:53   #52

I worked in the Typing Pool in 67' or 68' only temporary, my Aunt was the Manager there.
I used to enter from the Brown St. entrance, the place was so big I would get lost.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 13:37   #53

my DAD Roland Whittaker worked at howard and bullough for some time any one rememeber him (sadley passed away last year)
Tickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 11:49   #54

Sorry - I gave wrong title of book containing chapter about
Howard & Bullough. It is Aspects of Accrington edited by
Susan Halstead & Catherine Duckworth.

Maria
Mariam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 14:09   #55

As an apprentice I used to attend the Apprentice School around 1950. I used to go to the School every week but I cant remember where it was. My memory has let me down. Does anyone know?
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 19:14   #56
Senior Member+

Somewhere above a mention was made of the Howard and Bulloughs lorries.
A friend of ours gave me these two photos many many years ago, his name was Tom and he is stood next to the one in the second photograph

I don't remember those two and certainkly wouldn't want to start the engine by swinging it over with the handle in the front.

The second one although it looks older with the solid tyres is actually newer according to the number plates.

I bet non of you remember them either.

Gremlin R.t.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 21:14   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2 great pics, cheers gremlin. dont remember em, but the second one sure looks in better nick than some of the heaps ive had.
Old 17-02-2010, 22:45   #58
I am Banned

I don't remember those two and certainkly wouldn't want to start the engine by swinging it over with the handle in the front.

The second one although it looks older with the solid tyres is actually newer according to the number plates.

I bet non of you remember them either.

Gremlin R.t.[/quote]
They probably used the plates off one of the old lurries (thats what they called them) and re-registered it. There were quite a lot of similar model lurries in pre war Acc.
Retlaw.
Old 17-02-2010, 23:07   #59
God Member

I think the second photograph was taken in Liverpool; someone has nicked the headlights off the lorry.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 14:45   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Platt Saco Lowell had a large research establishment on Holcombe Road at Helmshore
Had a walk this morning and took this photo, sorry it's in shadow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0007.JPG (355.8 KB, 59 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..