Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2014, 17:28   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Howard & Bullough

I am from the Museum in the Arndale. we have quite a nice collection of H & B stuff.

Could I politely ask what your exhibition is going to be about?

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2014, 17:29   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I started in Jobbing(spares)stores in 1970 went 'upstairs in 1982 as a progress chaser after 'new company formed by Hollingsworth.Progressed up to purchasing manager and in 1993 60 people moved to the old OXO plant in Great Harwood.5 years later a company from Bradford bought what remained of the spares business which was by this time just 2 people one of which was me and put us in an office in Colne for 12 months and then moved us over to Bradford .After travelling over there for 5 years I retired early in December 2006 And today my former collegue still sells spare parts for Platt machinery
amongtst other textile machinery parts.I have in my possession the original brass Howard and Bullough registered office sign which was
outside the Globe works.I did once offer it to a councellor for the Globe Centre but never heard back.
Ray Tattersall? Harry Gettings?
Chris Machaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 17:37   #123
Senior Member+

Howard & Bullough

Ooooh, we have a brass plate belonging to H & B, don't know if its similar to the one you have though? We would LOVE to have it in our Museum in the Arndale? :-)

Last edited by Atarah; 14-03-2014 at 17:44.
Old 14-03-2014, 17:44   #124

Atarah, the registered office brass plate you have is the one I spoke about in my last post,there should be a label on the back with my details on.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 17:50   #125

Chris,yes I know both Ray and Harry very well ,Harry was the 3rd last employee as I was the 2nd last enmployee,Ray finished when we were bought by the firm in Bradford in 2002 and 3 of us moved and travelled daily to Bradford,I retired in 2007 but the last Platt(H&B)person is still working there and selling a few spares for Platt machinery
Old 14-03-2014, 19:13   #126
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Chris are yeh Steves brother?
Old 15-03-2014, 18:07   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I am from the Museum in the Arndale. we have quite a nice collection of H & B stuff.

Could I politely ask what your exhibition is going to be about?

Atarah
Atarah,

Its not an exhibition as such. I am trying to find out more information about the building and what it did and get more old photographs into the building. I have managed to get an old pin that was issued to the workers tonight and will be heading to the library and museum in the coming weeks.

Thanks
EmmaMyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 18:17   #128
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Atarah, the registered office brass plate you have is the one I spoke about in my last post,there should be a label on the back with my details on.
Oh sorry, this one you mean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Museum in the Arndale 14th March 2014 edit.jpg (440.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 15-03-2014, 18:23   #129
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaMyc View Post
Atarah,

Its not an exhibition as such. I am trying to find out more information about the building and what it did and get more old photographs into the building. I have managed to get an old pin that was issued to the workers tonight and will be heading to the library and museum in the coming weeks.
Looking forward to you coming down. Let me know when you might be bobbing in. :-)
Old 15-03-2014, 18:40   #130

That's the plaque Atarah, being the last 2 people left at Platts when I finished I took the plaque home from Bradford as it belongs in Accy.
Old 15-03-2014, 19:00   #131
Senior Member+

Be aware of the biography of George Bullough and the family's association with Rhum. It contains good stuff on the company. You need to be speaking with John Simpson in the library
Soloman likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 17:35   #132
Junior Member+

My father worked in the tool room his name was Harry Watson, did you know him, I think he was in the Home Guard there. Might you have any pictures.
Soloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 13:21   #133
Junior Member+

Correction to that, he worked in the turret room, he was a machine setter. I think he was in the Home Guard there as well. Anybody got any picture's of the Home Guard?.
Old 22-11-2014, 21:06   #134
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevis2 View Post
re Howard & Bullough
Bulloughs had a Home Guard unit and we guarded the Globe Works , Charter St, & Stevenson St plants,during the war at night , and Sunday we had to be on parade and go on the fireing range in the #2 moulding shop or the fireing range down around Mitton
My dad was in ' Bullough's home guard. His name was Harry Watson. Did you know him, might you have any photo's ?
Old 30-11-2014, 15:23   #135
Junior Member+

Do you remember Harry Watson? Do you have any pictures of the Home Guard?.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..