Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57   #1
Junior Member+

Howard & Bulloughs WWII work

Hello I'm a new member of the website and have read with avid interest the threads on Howard & Bullough. My mum riveted aircraft parts here during WWII. Does anyone know if there are any records or photos specific to WWII years at Howard & Bulloughs.

Last edited by Mick; 13-11-2012 at 05:20.
Fontayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Howard & Bulloughs WWII work

[quote=Fontayne;932015]Hello I'm a new member of the website and have read with avid interest the threads on Howard & Bullough. My mum riveted aircraft parts here during WWII. Does anyone know if there are any records or photos specific to WWII years at Howard & Bulloughs.

My mother also worked at H & B during the war

Last edited by Mick; 13-11-2012 at 05:21.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26   #3
Junior Member+

I wish I knew much about it Jaysay, I was starting to raise a young family when she died, so hadn't got to the stage of asking sensible questions sadly. Any information would be good
Old 08-09-2011, 13:26   #4
I am Banned

[quote=Fontayne;932015]Hello I'm a new member of the website and have read with avid interest the threads on Howard & Bullough. My mum riveted aircraft parts here during WWII. Does anyone know if there are any records or photos specific to WWII years at Howard & Bulloughs.

Accrington Library is the place you should be looking, they have loads of info & pictures on H & B's.
One of the retired librarians, collected a lot of stuff, and used to visit Rhum every year.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Mick; 13-11-2012 at 05:22.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 17:13   #5
Junior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Howard & Bulloughs WWII work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Accrington Library is the place you should be looking, they have loads of info & pictures on H & B's.
One of the retired librarians, collected a lot of stuff, and used to visit Rhum every year.
Retlaw.
Thank you, I'll check it out as soon as I can
Old 08-09-2011, 17:47   #6
Resting in Peace

Re: Howard & Bullough WWII work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontayne View Post
I wish I knew much about it Jaysay, I was starting to raise a young family when she died, so hadn't got to the stage of asking sensible questions sadly. Any information would be good
My Mum never really talked about the war years nor my father either, it was only after my mother passed away in 1993 that my father opened up about the war years, in fact he did an autobiography which I actually typed up for him and I still have it as he too passed away 8 years ago
Old 08-09-2011, 19:21   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
he did an autobiography which I actually typed up for him and I still have it
I'd hate to be your proof reader!

Not many from either of the wars would talk about it. Can't have been as much fun as it looks on an X box.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 19:33   #8
Senior Member+

My claim to war fame- I was machine gunned by a Messershmitt!
This German pilot must have taken a fancy to my mother as she wheeled my pram down a country road in Kent. She said the road erupted all around us but no harm done.
When I told my wife the story she said 'I'd like to get my hands on him!Missing my mother-in-law!'.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:16   #9
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
My Mum never really talked about the war years nor my father either, it was only after my mother passed away in 1993 that my father opened up about the war years, in fact he did an autobiography which I actually typed up for him and I still have it as he too passed away 8 years ago
I know what you mean. I've spent an age trying to piece together my father's war years myself from about 3 facts, including the paddlesteamer minesweepers names that he served on. Your autobiography from your dad must make for fascinating, if sad, reading. I'm writing my family tree in book form - spent about 2 yrs of research and writing in spare moments up to now, but working life gets in the way - LOL
Old 09-09-2011, 09:23   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I'd hate to be your proof reader!

Not many from either of the wars would talk about it. Can't have been as much fun as it looks on an X box.
My father undertook that task seeing I didn't inherit his literary skills Gordon Na As I've said he didn't say much about his war experiences, but it became quite clear that he was very lucky to be alive being only one of four survivors, (he was badly wombed) from a unit engaged in a meeting with the Nazis in North Africa
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27   #11

My mum worked at H&B during the war in fact my brother has her photo which she had for identification purposes it has a stamp on it she has her hair tied back with her scarf.I suppose you had to keep your hair away from the equipment for safety.She looks so young on the photo my dad carried the photo round in his wallet for years and when he died mum found it and gave it to my brother she never said much about it just that she worked on munitions during the war.
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 14:50   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marl View Post
My mum worked at H&B during the war in fact my brother has her photo which she had for identification purposes it has a stamp on it she has her hair tied back with her scarf.I suppose you had to keep your hair away from the equipment for safety.She looks so young on the photo my dad carried the photo round in his wallet for years and when he died mum found it and gave it to my brother she never said much about it just that she worked on munitions during the war.
Wouldn't mind betting thats how she met my mam Marl?
Old 12-11-2012, 17:01   #13

Yeh yer probably right Cashy.
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 21:27   #14
Senior Member+

To Fontayne - your Mum wasnt one of the first six ladies to work at Howard and Bulloughs was she in 1939? Its just that a photo was taken to mark the event and a copy was given to me by a lovely neighbour of mine who was one of the six ladies (she is now deceased). The photo in question has been copied time and time again (I gave it to the library) but I do have a copy here at home.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..