Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 20:26   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn Local History Society.

Next meeting, tomorrow night 3rd March at The Lecture Room, Accrington Library. 7.30 p.m. : £2.50 for non members.

'The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway in East Lancashire'
Speaker: Noel Coates.
Burnley.

See ya' there.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2011, 10:00   #77
Resting in Peace

Last lecture of the season:

"Steam Tram Days around Accrington"
Speaker: Mr. Alan Parkin.
Hyndburn LHS.

The Lecture Room, Accrington Library.
Thursday April 7th.
Non Members: £2.50.

Time approximately 7.30 p.m. .. the AGM precedes this lecture for members at 7.00 p.m.
Old 13-04-2011, 22:06   #78

Can't believe I have missed this thread!! I would have loved to have attended some of the lectures spoken about. It looks like the season has finished now. When do they start up again and is there a listing of the subjects I can see?
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:36   #79
Senior Member+

Next year's meetings are not yet announced. Starts in September. There are often walks held locally in the Summer. I cannot find my membership leaflet to tell you. The society does not have a website. Meetings are held the first Thursday in the month 7.30 start, all over 9pm ish in the library
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 10:04   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Next year's meetings are not yet announced. Starts in September. There are often walks held locally in the Summer. I cannot find my membership leaflet to tell you. The society does not have a website. Meetings are held the first Thursday in the month 7.30 start, all over 9pm ish in the library
Think first lecture is usually 1st Thursday in October ?
They are doing another walk around Ribchester during the Summer and maybe another one.

Will put all details up for you, Bekibird, as soon as details are received.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:56   #81

I was disappointed also that I missed the last meeting for the season but will keep my eyes and ears open for when they start up again in September?

In the meanwhile, don't forget the public viewing of the DVD on the history of Plantation Road and its properties to be held at the lecture room Accrington Library 7.30pm for 8.00pm start on saturday 28th May 2011.

Last edited by Mikejoed; 12-05-2011 at 12:57. Reason: url link now obsolete
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 22:13   #82
Senior Member+

Should we not be referring to it as Plantation MILL Road?
Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49   #83
Senior Member+

Just announced: Summer Meetiongs:-
Wed 22 June 7.30pm in the library: Les Bond presents his ideas for Accrington to celebrate the centenary of the founding of The Pals

Sun 10th July . A guided walk around Ribchester. Meet in ther main car park 2pm

Sun 21st August A walk around Hidden Ossie with Albert Wilkinson. Meet at the cenotaph 2pm. Bring strong footwear and rain gear.

Non-members welcome.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51   #84
I am Banned

[quote=Bob Dobson;911353]Just announced: Summer Meetiongs:-
Wed 22 June 7.30pm in the library: Les Bond presents his ideas for Accrington to celebrate the centenary of the founding of The Pals
What the ELL does he know about the founding of the Accrington Pals, other than what he's read in Bill Turners books, or what he keeps ringing me about.
The Pals were formed in September 1914.
This year is the 95th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme, July 1st 1916. I know what he's after, access to the William Turner Collection, well he's one off, he won't get access to Bills Collection under any circumstances.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-06-2011 at 11:55. Reason: addition
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 14:34   #85
God Member

Oh Dear Walter! Looks like you've misread Bob's posting. Mr Bond is simply presenting ideas for the centenary of the founding which will be in three years time - it's planning ahead. What's the problem with that?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 15:22   #86
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Oh Dear Walter! Looks like you've misread Bob's posting. Mr Bond is simply presenting ideas for the centenary of the founding which will be in three years time - it's planning ahead. What's the problem with that?
I didn't misread whats going on, I know a lot more of whats behind all this than you. I have already discuss the anniversay's of the Pals with the Library Staff & Haworth Art Gallery.
Mr Bond is trying to promote himself as a Pals expert, when he has done very little research into the Pals.
There have been several so called Pals experts coming out of the woodwork in the past few years, all of them trying to get their hands on Bill & my files.
Bill never used to swear or curse, only ever heard him once, and that was when I mentioned certain peoples names in connection wth the Pals.
My files now contain over 4000 names of men who served in the 11th East Lancs, got over 900 sets of service records, and now aproaching 3000, medal Records. I also have several hundred pictures of the Pals which are not part of the William Turner Collection.
Retlaw.
Old 10-06-2011, 22:51   #87
Senior Member+

I wish there could be a summer walk in ACCRINGTON from the Historical Society. I used to love going on them. As much as I love going to Ribchester, its not exactly got owt to do with Hyndburn, has it?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 14:05   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I wish there could be a summer walk in ACCRINGTON from the Historical Society. I used to love going on them. As much as I love going to Ribchester, its not exactly got owt to do with Hyndburn, has it?
What I find somewhat surprising is that there is no dedicated recreational path around and through Hyndburn. To the west, there is Blackburn's Witton Weaver's Way; to the south are both the Rossendale Way and the Irwell Sculpture Trail; to the north and north-east are the Ribble and Pendle Ways; even the Dingles have got their Burnley Way.

So why ain't we got a Hyndburn Way? There are enough public footpaths around the borough to make one so all it needs is the imagination and the will to do it plus a few bob to spend on a few signposts.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 14:26   #89
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
What I find somewhat surprising is that there is no dedicated recreational path around and through Hyndburn. To the west, there is Blackburn's Witton Weaver's Way; to the south are both the Rossendale Way and the Irwell Sculpture Trail; to the north and north-east are the Ribble and Pendle Ways; even the Dingles have got their Burnley Way.

So why ain't we got a Hyndburn Way? There are enough public footpaths around the borough to make one so all it needs is the imagination and the will to do it plus a few bob to spend on a few signposts.
Have you never heard of the Acorn Trail.
Retlaw.
Old 13-06-2011, 17:57   #90

There is a walk, hyndburn clog trail.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..