Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2011, 19:00   #91
God Member

Re: Hyndburn Local History Society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Have you never heard of the Acorn Trail.
Retlaw.
You're having a laugh...aren't you, Walter? The Acorn Trail is no more than a ten minute stroll around the town centre....half an hour if you want to stop for a few jars on the way. I'm on about a decent walk, twenty or so miles around the borough.

I must admit, I've never heard of the Clog Trail. Where's that one run, then?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2011, 19:51   #92

When I worked at Clough Head Information Centre over Grane there was a walk which we used to supply the leaflets for called "The Hyndburn Clog" which was done in about the mid 80's by the Hyndburn Ramblers. I may still have a leaflet somewhere in the house but will have to have a look.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 19:58   #93
God Member

details here -
Hyndburn Clog Trail - The Hyndburn Clog

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 20:23   #94
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
You're having a laugh...aren't you, Walter? The Acorn Trail is no more than a ten minute stroll around the town centre....half an hour if you want to stop for a few jars on the way. I'm on about a decent walk, twenty or so miles around the borough.

I must admit, I've never heard of the Clog Trail. Where's that one run, then?
Not realy, that ten minute stroll would take me over an hour, can't walk far these days.
I could probably do the 20 miles by new year.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 22:16   #95
Senior Member+

As I said, I wish there was a walk around Accrington from the History Society. I have often wished I had the "courage" to set a walk up around Accrington Cemetary, but, it would take so much research. I have plenty of info of many of the important folk from this town who now rest there, but ..... maybe not enough for a 2 hr walk.
WISH I COULD GET FRANK WATSON TO DO ANOTHER WALK.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 06:56   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

Good. That looks like an excellent walk. It's just a shame it does not appear to be signposted nor, as with the case of our neighbour's walks, marked on either of the OS maps Landranger 103 and Explorer 287. A little bit of better publicity would always help.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 15:35   #97
Senior Member+

I looked in vain on the pages for any sort of map.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 16:13   #98
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
As I said, I wish there was a walk around Accrington from the History Society. I have often wished I had the "courage" to set a walk up around Accrington Cemetary, but, it would take so much research. I have plenty of info of many of the important folk from this town who now rest there, but ..... maybe not enough for a 2 hr walk.
WISH I COULD GET FRANK WATSON TO DO ANOTHER WALK.
You SHOULD do one.

You know some amazing facts about the town. Many particular to you. All that Bertie Prince of Wales and the Steiner girls stuff etc.

I'd come on it.

You have a year. Until next summer.

Do it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 17:34   #99
Senior Member+

I agree, set one up Atarah!

It could be a Accyweb Walk because I am sure many on here would come along.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 18:40   #100
Senior Member+

I will speak to Kath Hargreaves from the Family Histoiry Society, who has prepared a guided walk round the cemetery.
Old 14-06-2011, 22:42   #101

If you look on the Hyndburn ramblers site there is a bit more information about the Hyndburn clog trail.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 10:05   #102
Senior Member+

Last night's meeting was addressed by Les Bond, who outlined ideas that the town and the society could take up to commemorate ( not celebrate) the Great War and in particular the forming of The Pals in 1914, the events of 1st July 1916 and the Armistice of 1918. There was much discussion in which it was learned that some planning involving the council is already under way and 'under wraps'.It was felt that restricting the number of council-involved events might be easier to achieve, in the present climate and lack of resources, than taking on a lot of workload.

The society's chairman will be seeking a meeting with the present mayor with a view to setting up a working party of interested organisatuions and individuals to oversee planning. The eyes of the world may be on Accrington in the period 2014-18.

Some good ideas were raised and discussed as to their merit or otherwise. - Staging the 'Accrington Pals' play/ having a silent vigil on the morning of 1st July 2016 /planting poppies/involving youth groups. I didn't take minuites, and have forgotten some topics.
Old 23-06-2011, 11:52   #103
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The society's chairman will be seeking a meeting with the present mayor with a view to setting up a working party of interested organisatuions and individuals to oversee planning. The eyes of the world may be on Accrington in the period 2014-18.
Seeing as there are already organizations working on several projects, and have been for over two years, these projects for the aniversary's have already been discussed, with those who have the authority to allow these events, setting up some tin pot committee to interfere in what is already planned, is an insult to those who have already put a lot of work into their projects.
I have already got some of my pictures on display in the Thiepval Memorial Musem, plus other local things to do with the Pals, and the last thing I & the hard working others need, is the 1-3/4 appreciation society pushing their noses in, too many cooks spoil the broth.

Retlaw

Last edited by Neil; 23-06-2011 at 20:18. Reason: fix quote for clarity
Old 23-06-2011, 12:20   #104
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The society's chairman will be seeking a meeting with the present mayor with a view to setting up a working party of interested organisatuions and individuals to oversee planning.
What good will that do the present Mayor will not be the Mayor in 2016.
My daughter has met all the appropriate people with regards to Pals Anniversary's. The council will not allow its workers under the present finacial restraints, take on any more work which will cost money.
Its evident that what she told you last night about funding, and what will be allowed didn't sink in.
The interested organisations already liase with one another.
Just because the 1-3/4 appreciation society have not been consulted, must mean something, ie your not needed, and at this late stage, trying to jump on the band wagon, and take all the glory will not happen.
Retlaw

Last edited by Neil; 23-06-2011 at 20:18. Reason: fix quote for clarity
Old 23-06-2011, 13:44   #105
Senior Member+

oh oh! who's gone grumpy again?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..