Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2013, 17:45   #1

Interesting Facts about Clayton Le Moors

Hi All!

My daughter has a project to do on Clayton Le Moors for school. Today we walked around most of it and took photos of the various landmarks (Mercer Park, All Saints Church, Sparth Manor and House, The Dunkenhalgh, The Canal, Wilsons playing fields, the area around Hyndburn Bridge and water street etc) but I wondered if anyone could offer any stories or unusual facts about the area that might not be common knowledge. We are visiting the library tomorrow to see what they have, but as the whole school year is doing this project I thought someone might have something different she could put in her project. Anything ghostly or ghastly would be brilliant (all 10 year olds love that!!) or any other suitable story we could look up.
Many thanks in anticipation of some good stuff!!

Bekibird.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-05-2013, 18:00   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Interesting Facts about Clayton Le Moors

Try using the Accyweb search facility to find previous threads on Clayton and ghosts.
Old 29-05-2013, 18:14   #3

Just looked through everything and not a bean! Lots about Accrington ghosts and the story of the Dunkenhalgh one (which we may have to rely on by the looks of it) but nothing in Clayton.
Old 29-05-2013, 18:21   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekibird View Post
Just looked through everything and not a bean! Lots about Accrington ghosts and the story of the Dunkenhalgh one (which we may have to rely on by the looks of it) but nothing in Clayton.
There never was a ghost at Dunkenhalgh, that myth was laid to rest by the Accrington Pals, they were on night exercises in the grounds at Dukenhalgh, and the ghost turned out to be mist rising from the river.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 19:09   #5

That's an interesting story Retlaw. Was it a normal thing for the Accrington Pals to do night exercises at the Dunk? We are going to put a piece in the project about the moorfield pit disaster as that affected a lot of Clayton families and also talk about some of the impressive buildings in the area. Any other noteworthy or interesting fact about Clayton Le Moors would be much appreciated.
Bekibird.
Old 29-05-2013, 19:11   #6

The half way point for the Liverpool-Leeds Canal is just off Blackburn Road heading towards Clayton - marked by a mile post I believe.
bekibird likes this.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 19:16   #7

Clayton Hall: Grimshaw Family

Good Site too
bekibird likes this.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 19:25   #8

I am probably being really thick here but which current building is Clayton Hall? We took lots of pictures of the Dunk, Mercer House, Sparth House but I don't think its any of them... where is it?
Old 29-05-2013, 19:46   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
That's an interesting story Retlaw. Was it a normal thing for the Accrington Pals to do night exercises at the Dunk? We are going to put a piece in the project about the moorfield pit disaster as that affected a lot of Clayton families and also talk about some of the impressive buildings in the area. Any other noteworthy or interesting fact about Clayton Le Moors would be much appreciated.
Bekibird.
Only a couple of times. There is a book in Accrington library on the History of Clayton, one thing that sticks in my mind, the Bapstists that had the Macpelah church on Hyndburn Rd, where the petrol station is now, came from somewhere in Clayton around the mid 1700's, most of those grave stones that were on Hyndburn Rd are now in the grave yard up New lane Ossy.
bekibird likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 29-05-2013 at 19:50.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 20:03   #10
God Member

Quote:
I am probably being really thick here but which current building is Clayton Hall? We took lots of pictures of the Dunk, Mercer House, Sparth House but I don't think its any of them... where is it?
I have a friend who lives in the coach house of Clayton Hall.
There is a Clayton Hall drive shown on this map

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Cla...d+Kingdom&z=17

The road cannot be followed on Google maps because it is a private road.

When I have visited her I could not see the hall itself because the walls around it are very high.
bekibird likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 20:29   #11
Senior Member+

The book Retlaw refers to is A History of the township & manor of C-le-M by Richard Trappes-Lomax 1926. There's a 1790 plan with it, and there's much to be found on it - eg the line of the road to Acc before the turnpike was constructed. Be sure to read the last chapter -= 4 pages on modern developments. The road named after the athlete Ramsbottom (?), is another thing worth listing. Clayton has 1059 acres.
bekibird likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 23:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have a friend who lives in the coach house of Clayton Hall.
There is a Clayton Hall drive shown on this map

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Cla...d+Kingdom&z=17

The road cannot be followed on Google maps because it is a private road.

When I have visited her I could not see the hall itself because the walls around it are very high.
That explains it then!! We parked in the car park of Wilsons to take pictures of the track and I noticed that there was no through road past Wilsons. How interesting! The website mentioned previously on this thread shows some really good pictures and gives an excellent history... shame its so out of the way. Is it occupied now do you know?
Old 29-05-2013, 23:10   #13

I never thought a kids school project would interest me so much! We had a really good day out looking at the local historical sights of the town and I am really quite impressed by what such a small place has to offer. We've collected quite a bit of info so far but any other interesting facts and maybe even figures would be very much appreciated. Being Accrington born and bred means I have a lot of knowledge and information about Accrington but I've never really looked closely at Clayton Le Moors. I wonder if there are any pictures to be found (before 4th June... deadline for the projects to be in!!) of Whalley road area around the Hare and Hounds before the motorway... I think that info would look really good for kids who have only ever known the area as it is. I am going to Clayton Library tomorrow to see what they might have but if anyone thinks I should go elsewhere please let me know. I will also pop to Accy Library to look for the info mentioned by Retlaw. Thanks again everyone!! I just knew I'd get some good info from you all!!
Bekibird
Old 29-05-2013, 23:20   #14

Also.... when we visited Water Street (Next to Hyndburn Bridge Pub) there is a gate right at the entrance to the little street which (although brand new) says the date 1784 on it... does this mean the row was constructed in this year... perhaps being one of the oldest streets in Clayton?
Old 29-05-2013, 23:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There never was a ghost at Dunkenhalgh, that myth was laid to rest by the Accrington Pals, they were on night exercises in the grounds at Dukenhalgh, and the ghost turned out to be mist rising from the river.
Sorry Retlaw but the MYTH is going in!! Even if it is just a dodgy legend (which the Accy Pals prove) its still a much told and revered story. I think the class will enjoy it! Still, it would be good to find out more connections with the Accrington Pals with the people of Clayton... were many Pals from Clayton?? If you could provide a listing of those from Clayton we could do a section on that too.

Just a side note that probably won't be believed by many... My husband and I stayed overnight at the Dunk a few years back as a birthday treat for me. It was the worst nights sleep we'd ever had. Laying in bed that night we both felt the distinct presence of 'something' in the room. At first I thought it was me but when I asked my Husband if he was asleep he answered an affirmative NO! It was horrible, like someone was standing at the end of our bed. We didn't 'see' anything, but there was a really creepy feeling that something was in the room with us. We ended up turning all the lights on and attempting to sleep. It may have been something dodgy we'd both eaten that night at the Dunk Restaurant but when we mentioned it the following morning to staff they said we'd slept in the 'new' wing and that they'd never heard of anyone having a bad night before... spooky... yes it was!!!

Thanks again!!

Bekibird

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..