Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 18:17   #16

Re: Jacob Hargreaves - born 1812, Accrington

Hi Wendy
You need to start using a couple of sites that although not complete are worth keeping your eye on.

The Lancashire BMD site is where the births were recorded including the mothers maiden name and that is where I looked in the first instance.

Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths Indexes

Just remember if you are looking for Accrington or the Haslingden Registration District use the Hyndburn Link on the site.

Another site which is going to be amazing once finished is
Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project -

but both these sites rely on volunteers so patience is a virtue you will have to keep.

I also checked out on the census Jacob and Mary in Clitheroe and they had 4 children by 1841 so I didn't think it was the same couple.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2011, 19:25   #17
Junior Member+

Thanks so much that's really helpful.

I did a quick search on familysearch.org and came up with a baptism for Jacobus Hargreaves in Haslingden in 1811 - I think this must be my Jacob. The exciting thing is, it listed his parents as Johann Hargreaves and Margaritae!

So I think I may have got my next generation back.

Must try and find them on the 1841 census.

Thanks again,

Wendy
WendyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 19:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyP View Post
Thanks so much that's really helpful.

I did a quick search on familysearch.org and came up with a baptism for Jacobus Hargreaves in Haslingden in 1811 - I think this must be my Jacob. The exciting thing is, it listed his parents as Johann Hargreaves and Margaritae!

So I think I may have got my next generation back.

Must try and find them on the 1841 census.

Thanks again,

Wendy
Wendy
If you prove that Jacob Hargreaves and Mary Roberts are the parents of your William Roberts Hargreaves the by purchasing the marriage certificate from 1840 it will give you Jacob's Fathers Name which will then take you 1 generation back with real proof.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 19:59   #19
Junior Member+

Yes you are quite right. I must try and find out where I got Mary 'Robinson' from, although I do think Mary Roberts is correct given that one of their children was named William Roberts Hargreaves.

Wendy
Old 06-10-2011, 20:14   #20
Junior Member+

Oh dear, different information from two sources - any ideas which is more likely to be correct?

Source www.familysearch.org
Name: Jacobus Hargreaves
Baptism/Christening Date: 21 Jul 1811
Baptism/Christening Place: Haslingden, Lancashire, England
Birth Date: 14 Jul 1811
Birthplace: Haslingden, Lancashire, England
Father's Name: Johann Hargreaves
Mother's Name: Margaritae
Project (Batch) Number: C02174-9
System Origin: England-EASy Source Film Number: 1068835 Reference Number: item 7

Source: Lancashire Online Parish Records
Baptisms: 1 Jan 1811 St James, Haslingden, Lancashire, England
Johannes Hargreaves - Filius of Johannis Hargreaves & Margaritae
Born: 11 Nov 1810
Abode: Grain
Register: Baptisms 1809 - 1812, Page 1, Entry 1
Source: LDS Film 1068835
Old 06-10-2011, 20:32   #21
Junior Member+

Well, I have finally found how I got to Mary Robinson, the Lancashire Online Parish Records!

Marriage: 19 May 1834 St Mary Magdalene, Clitheroe, Lancashire, England
Jacob Hargreaves - (X), of The Town & Chapelry of Clitheroe
Mary Robinson - (X), of The Town & Chapelry of Clitheroe
Witness: Thos Finch; John Read
Married by Banns by: J H Anderton
Register: Marriages 1828-1837, Page 107, Entry 320
Source: LDS Film 1278858

Now I have a task on my hands!

Wendy
Old 07-10-2011, 08:36   #22
Senior Member+

There has been a discussuion on the Lancashire Family History Society's forum recenbtly about Christian names being Latinised. It does not necessarily mean they were Catholics. Another reason why you should join.Attending The Straits will help you tremendously.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:56   #23
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Its no good going to Christ Church, it didn't start operating till 1841, very few churches hold any of their old records now, most of them are at the P-R-O in Preston.
Retlaw.
But he was living in the area in 1871 so could certainly have been attending there then. I'm not sure how much information is recorded in church records as they vary an awful lot. Some will give details of previous generations whilst others are very basic.

However, I've also found a Jacob Hargreaves, child under the age of 1, buried on 8th January 1813. Father John Hargreaves. (Johannis) I am wondering if there may be an error in transcription somewhere with some of the dates. It's a pity the original records are not available online. It may be worth checking if it's possible to view the original films of the records at the LDS Family History Centre at Chorley. I have the phone number if you'd like it. There's no charge for using the centre and just a nominal fee for hiring the film for you to view.

Just out of interest I found another Jacobus born to Margaritae and Johannis 4 Oct 1808 who was Christened 12 Jan 1809.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 07-10-2011 at 10:01.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:46   #24
Senior Member+

It is possible to check just what the Lancashire Archives, formerly called the Lancashsire Record Office, hold by logging onto National Archives then selecting Lancashire.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:05   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
But he was living in the area in 1871 so could certainly have been attending there then. I'm not sure how much information is recorded in church records as they vary an awful lot. Some will give details of previous generations whilst others are very basic.

However, I've also found a Jacob Hargreaves, child under the age of 1, buried on 8th January 1813. Father John Hargreaves. (Johannis) I am wondering if there may be an error in transcription somewhere with some of the dates. It's a pity the original records are not available online. It may be worth checking if it's possible to view the original films of the records at the LDS Family History Centre at Chorley. I have the phone number if you'd like it. There's no charge for using the centre and just a nominal fee for hiring the film for you to view.

Just out of interest I found another Jacobus born to Margaritae and Johannis 4 Oct 1808 who was Christened 12 Jan 1809.
There are 24 Hargreaves's buried in Christ Church.
One may be yours Absolom Hargreaves 12 weeks old from Bank St Acc, buried 5 Feb 1860.
The records don't give parents, just grave owners, the grave owner was John Carsley of Bank St.
Most churches in England won't allow the Mormons access to their records. I have asked the Mormons to provide proof for some of their crap, and I'm still waiting.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 22:23   #26
Resident Waffler

To whom specifically did you direct your query? If it was one of the volunteers at the Family History Centre they may not have known the answer.

It also depends which 'crap' you are querying. Some LDS records are films of original parish records, census returns; some are filmed copies of the GRO indexes of births marriages and deaths. As such they are no less accurate than the original documents. Other records are computerised transcripts of filmed records. These are input by different people and checked by independant adjudicators where there is any discrepancy. The church has worked alongside Ancestry dot com and also has many non member volunteers doing the transcribing. These records are as accurate as humanly possible.

Then there are the IGI records which are kept by the church but which have been submitted by individual members - those are only as reliable as the person submitting them and should always be backed up with reference to original documents. There are also personal family trees which have been made available to the public. These are submitted by members and non-members alike and again are only as reliable as the person submitting them but in these days of computerisation a lot of older anomalies are being clarified on an ongoing basis.

Does that cover your query or was there something specific you were particularly concerned about?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..