Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By anzac
  • 1 Post By wadey
  • 2 Post By Bob Dobson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2015, 10:36   #1

Laneside Schools

Postcard of "Laneside Schools" for sale on eBay. Anybody know where they were?
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2015, 16:39   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Laneside Schools

I don't think there were any. Sure it's Accy?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 16:51   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I don't think there were any. Sure it's Accy?
There's Little Tinkers and Sunbeam?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 21:42   #4

This is St Peters Laneside in Haslingden.
I have the same picture of the School which is now the Community Hall.
wadey and Balbus like this.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 22:08   #5

Yes it's a mistake

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rossen...-bXQbPL-bXQchh
Balbus likes this.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:24   #6
Junior Member+

Hi there, does anyone have any knowledge of a ROBERT METCALFE who was recorded as living in BUSK, Oswaldtwistle in January 1855? The birth of my great, great grandfather, JOHN JAMES HARDACRE occurred in Busk, Oswaldtwistle (mother MARIA HARDACRE) at this time. The "occupier" of the residence on the birth certificate is listed as ROBERT METCALFE at Busk. My suspicions are that this place was temporarily rented as it it seems Maria was pregnant to a member of the aristocracy in Yorkshire and this Robert could have been an employee of this aristocrat who was sent with her to register the birth in another county. (Such a wonderful mystery! I am an author so all of this really stirs the creative juices!) Thank you to anyone who may have knowledge of this Robert…and could anyone tell me exactly where the BUSK area of Oswaldtwistle was in 1855. From my research it appears to be close to the Straits and Union Street, near Tinker Brook, and I do believe there is an old map showing it but I cannot trace this map online. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated … many thanks from Sydney, Australia. Cheryl
CherylSyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:45   #7
Senior Member+

Robert Matcalfe was probably the man referred to as 'Tar Bob' as he owned a works in Church which distilled tar. At some time in the past I did some research on him which I think showed that he married his Yorkshire housekeeper and adopted her children. Retlaw helped me with that, but at the moment I have no time to look for it.
wadey and CherylSyd like this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 06:49   #8
Junior Member+

Thank you Bob Dobson, I very much appreciate your time on this. i will do some more research on this "Tar Bob". This could very well be him as this boy is said to be born in BUSK, Oswaldtwistle…but in other places, like the census, it says his birth is in CHURCH…which is where you say this "Tar Bob" lived. Thank you kindly for your time on this…it is much appreciated from someone on the other side of the world! Cheryl
CherylSyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..