Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 22:02   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Let's Get That Goblin Clock Back, Everyone!!!

Bring it back! I can't help but I would love to be able to. Bring back the flower gardens too. I remember all the oldies sitting there in the summer watching the world go by. I expect that they are now sitting in front of daytime tv.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2009, 22:13   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
Bring it back! I can't help but I would love to be able to. Bring back the flower gardens too. I remember all the oldies sitting there in the summer watching the world go by. I expect that they are now sitting in front of daytime tv.
No, Junetta .. we are still sitting there (having a fag), albeit stainless steel forms and admiring the flower towers and growing oak trees ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 22:17   #48

yes lets bring it back it was a nice thing to look at
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 22:35   #49
Senior Member+

BRING BACK THE CLOCK!
me and my sister used to love watching the clock as kids, no trip to accy was complete untill we'd made our parents wait for the goblin to start pedalling!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 00:05   #50
Give, give, give member

Everything eighties, which is when the clock was introduced, is back in fashion.

Shoulder pads, big hair, recession obliterating glamour, so bring back the clock!

I can't think of anything else Accy has had in recent times that seems to hold such warm public affection.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 00:10   #51
Give, give, give member

Nevermind creating a mutil-million pound 'continental' square in front of the Market Hall, with fountains squirting water up your jacksie as you walk through that dark wind tunnel, any politican who returned the clock would ensure maximum publicity and interest for the town, and all for a relatively small cost.

Old 08-04-2009, 00:18   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Nevermind creating a mutil-million pound 'continental' square in front of the Market Hall, with fountains squirting water up your jacksie as you walk through that dark wind tunnel, any politican who returned the clock would ensure maximum publicity and interest for the town, and all for a relatively small cost.
i think that,you think that, those that should think- don't.
Old 08-04-2009, 00:21   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i think that,you think that, those that should think- don't.
Sadly not.

Probably if we took some fancy city offices, called ourselves a Design Consultancy, and charged a damn fortune, they'd think it was good advice.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:28   #54
JFT96

Yes lets bring it back.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:43   #55
Senior Member+

Just to remind people - The "Father Time" clock was designed by Andy Plant, after he won BB2's "Great Egg Race" in 1986. The sculpture centres around a globe made from a welded steel frame covered with a beaten aluminium skin, the land masses standing out in relief. On the top of the world sits a sleeping Father Time on a bicycle. Approaching the quarter hour, a little schoolboy slowly creeps out from the top of the world, aiming to swipe Father Time's alarm clock. But the old man stirs and the schoolboy retreats. Then, on the hour, Father Time wakes to his ringing alarm, and sets off on his bike. As he begins, he rises up into the Arndale Centre's feature dome on a cloud followed by two flying cherubs. At the same time, the world begins to spin and opens to reveal a fun band playing "Rock Around the Clock" on drums, accordion, maraccas and tambourine. The performance over, the world closed and Father Time returned to the top of the globe and his slumbers.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:05   #56
God Member

I see the guy who started the thread hasnt been back, would have been nice to be updated.
Personally i loved the clock. when my kids were all small they loved it too. it was my few minutes of peace whilst out shopping lol ...
I did give accy a bit of individualty although in my younger days the clock on Peel st was the meeting place for everyone. hehehe .
Incidently what is accys meeting place now ?
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:34   #57
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Incidently what is accys meeting place now ?
It would appear the meeting place for people on a night out is now Burnley
Old 08-04-2009, 10:54   #58
Resting in Peace

The only problem now is that HBC don't have any say in the Arndale centre, if you remember that nice Mr Slynn sold the lease, it would be down to the owners to bring it back, which might take some arm twisting to say the least.
Old 08-04-2009, 17:03   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
...it would be down to the owners to bring it back, which might take some arm twisting to say the least.
Especially because the Arndale owners have said they have no great urge to invest in the Accrington Arndale, now the council gave the go ahead for a town centre Tesco, which they vehemently opposed.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:33   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
Never mind the old folk!! me and my mates used to sit there on a Saturday afternoon as teenagers in the 60's admiring the 'scenery' walking past. Didn't do us much good though, never did manage to arrange a date for Sat night..
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..