Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 12:13   #61

Re: Let's Get That Goblin Clock Back, Everyone!!!

I also say bring back the clock.
Where to put it if it’s not in the Arndale - In the new market square in a class dome or in the revamped market hall. Any more suggestions?
Puffing Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-04-2009, 12:40   #62
God Member

I don't visit town often and never saw it open. It looks like I missed something.
If it was removed before the council signed away the Arndale lease, then it will still be council property. So when was it removed?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 14:00   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i too would love to see the clock restored, needs to be under cover though kate, with the crap british weather.
Old 17-06-2009, 15:42   #64
Senior Member+

I was always told that the clock, once taken down, was just in the "cellars" of the Arndale. Now the cafe has been gone for ages, and there are just bits of stalls on its site, why cant the clock go back in the position which was created for it, i.e. the dome? Who could find out if its still "under our feet".
Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 15:51   #65
God Member

I don't know where the clock is right now but I do know that a chap called Bill Huntly could probably find out for you - he's the Town Centre Manager - his email address is [email protected]

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 17:34   #66
Senior Member+

Bump..

Did anyone e-mail him.. ?
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 22:01   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
Bump..

Did anyone e-mail him.. ?
Think we probably all thought someone else would do it Nickelson ... have just done it. Will let you know, of course, if I get a response.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 10:21   #68
Resting in Peace

Got a very quick reply from Bill Huntly who confirmed it is owned by the Arndale, and to ring the Manager there, Zain Kiyani (is that a male or female ?), to find where it is now. Will try later.

Suspect, as mentioned before, will still be stored there. Think the issue was the cost of repair ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 18:14   #69
God Member

is that the guy who used to be head of secuity there,i think it is..
Old 21-07-2009, 19:27   #70
Senior Member+

Yep that's Zain, and male!
Old 17-02-2012, 21:04   #71

Yes please bring it back I loved it
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 12:00   #72
Senior Member+

Bring back the clock!
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 21:50   #73
God Member

with the arndale been bought by new owners i wonder if people got a petition sent to the new owners you never know
Old 29-04-2012, 22:03   #74
Senior Member+

Yep, I am with you!
Just to remind people - The "Father Time" clock was designed by Andy Plant, after he won BB2's "Great Egg Race" in 1986. The sculpture centres around a globe made from a welded steel frame covered with a beaten aluminium skin, the land masses standing out in relief. On the top of the world sits a sleeping Father Time on a bicycle. Approaching the quarter hour, a little schoolboy slowly creeps out from the top of the world, aiming to swipe Father Time's alarm clock. But the old man stirs and the schoolboy retreats. Then, on the hour, Father Time wakes to his ringing alarm, and sets off on his bike. As he begins, he rises up into the Arndale Centre's feature dome on a cloud followed by two flying cherubs. At the same time, the world begins to spin and opens to reveal a fun band playing "Rock Around the Clock" on drums, accordion, maraccas and tambourine. The performance over, the world closed and Father Time returned to the top of the globe and his slumbers.

Unless things have changed, the last contact with Mr Plant was positive and he was "up" for repair of his master-piece. Remember it was a one-off, specially made to fit under that glass dome in the Arndale.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:12   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Yep, I am with you!
Just to remind people - The "Father Time" clock was designed by Andy Plant, after he won BB2's "Great Egg Race" in 1986. The sculpture centres around a globe made from a welded steel frame covered with a beaten aluminium skin, the land masses standing out in relief. On the top of the world sits a sleeping Father Time on a bicycle. Approaching the quarter hour, a little schoolboy slowly creeps out from the top of the world, aiming to swipe Father Time's alarm clock. But the old man stirs and the schoolboy retreats. Then, on the hour, Father Time wakes to his ringing alarm, and sets off on his bike. As he begins, he rises up into the Arndale Centre's feature dome on a cloud followed by two flying cherubs. At the same time, the world begins to spin and opens to reveal a fun band playing "Rock Around the Clock" on drums, accordion, maraccas and tambourine. The performance over, the world closed and Father Time returned to the top of the globe and his slumbers.

Unless things have changed, the last contact with Mr Plant was positive and he was "up" for repair of his master-piece. Remember it was a one-off, specially made to fit under that glass dome in the Arndale.
My kids (now grown up) haven't been over to England for years, but they have never forgotten that clock and we had to go to ACCY almost every day just to see it work. It would be wonderful to see it again. I remember that there was once a post on here showing a video of the clock in movement
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..