Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 12:09   #1

Local photos -and others

Firstl I would like to thank Busman for mentioning, and listing, my Old Photos which with assistance I have recently re-published. This was done at the request of a couple of old friends now abroad. In addition to the "Oldies" I have a few personal albums listed which I have left unlocked for anyone to see. We intend to add more albums drom time to time.

The direct link is: Picasa Web Albums - owdbert

I understand that Atarah has made mention about items locked away in the Town Hall basement. During her visit I acted as her cameraman and if she has not kept the photos I can let her have them. Please contact me personally Atarah and NOT via Accy Web as I have difficulty clicking on the correct buttons to get messages.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2010, 15:42   #2

Re: Local photos -and others

thanks for making the photos available i love looking at local photos found them very interesting
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 16:00   #3
Resting in Peace

Thanks Bert will have a good look as soons I get the time
Old 07-11-2010, 16:01   #4
Give, give, give member

A real treat, and very intersting too.

Thank you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 16:42   #5

Thanks very much for putting those photographs on the site.
I have really enjoyed looking at them this afternoon
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 18:10   #6
Senior Member+

Many more thanks for the photographs Bert. I came over from Yorkshire about 1967 so am classed as a newcomer compared to some forum members and am fascinated to see the town and surrounding areas as they used to be. Was Rastricks foundry also called Antley foundry? I have a mate who used to deliver sand and coke there and he always refers ton it as Antley. I suppose it is because it was in the Antley area. Am I right?
Old 07-11-2010, 18:43   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Many more thanks for the photographs Bert. I came over from Yorkshire about 1967 so am classed as a newcomer compared to some forum members and am fascinated to see the town and surrounding areas as they used to be. Was Rastricks foundry also called Antley foundry? I have a mate who used to deliver sand and coke there and he always refers ton it as Antley. I suppose it is because it was in the Antley area. Am I right?
Was always called Raistricks as far as i know Gremlin. many did refer to it as antley foundry maybe cos it was in antley.
Old 07-11-2010, 19:24   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Was always called Raistricks as far as i know Gremlin. many did refer to it as antley foundry maybe cos it was in antley.
As I put in my post Cashman I thought it may be because of the location of the foundry.
I will tell him about it on Tuesday when we meet for our thrice weekly beer sessions.

You may know him as Alan Luke a 83 year old ex Coal Board, Gilmartin and Shopfitters driver. I will print the Nori pictures for him because he carried a lot of the bricks on his Gilmartin lorry. He is the chap I got a pint out eventually for putting him right about the Old House at Home not being in Clayton le Moors.

Once again I am glad I came across this forum because of the threads about the town and the photos that go with them.
Old 08-11-2010, 15:16   #9

I don`t think there is any doubt about Raistrick`s being called Antley Foundry. I am almost sure that Atarah has old photos taken in Raistricks. I will contact her about them as her brilliant website "Accrington Uncovered" no longer seems to be available. A great pity as it was a Treasure Trove of local heritage.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 17:04   #10
Senior Member+

Owd Bert my pal, its LOVELY to see you on line again.

Regarding Raistricks. According to notes by Mike Rothwell, there was a BANK (ANTLEY FOUNDRY), established by a Thomas Wood, ironfounder of Star Works. Wood ceased business in 1910 and the works apparently was closed until after WWI. A Mr W.E. Woolley took over about 1920 and enlarged the works 1928. Lamp standards, grates, gutters etc were made. You can STILL see lamposts around town with the name WOOLLEY on them. See if you can spot some.
These works were sold to Raistricks in 1931.

Last edited by Atarah; 08-11-2010 at 17:11.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 18:18   #11
Resting In Peace

it brings back a lot orf memories.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..