Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 06:20   #16
Senior Member+

Mansions in Accrington.

Here we have Bank House. Demolished and Queen Elizabeth Crescent (Sandy Lane area) built on the site.

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bankhouse.jpg (347.4 KB, 101 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2009, 09:05   #17
Senior Member+

Mansions in Accrington.

Sorry the photo of Bank House was not very good. This one is clearer I believe. The second photo shows some of the remaining driveway wall, still there, on the old track by the Ambulance Station. If you also look at the top of Adelaide Street, you can still see the remaining gate posts of Bank House.

T'was a lovely house, and was auctioned off in 1957. Lady Higham was the last owner of the property.

Here are a list of all the rooms which were mentioned in the Sales Catalogue:-Garage, Wash-House, Butlers Pantry, Kitchen, Boot Room, Main Hall, Billiard Room, Dining Room, Drawing Room, Morning Room, Conseratory, Library, Domestic Sitting Room, Bedroom, 8 in total.

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bankhouse.JPG (35.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Bankhousemodern2.JPG (61.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 06-05-2009, 09:19   #18
Senior Member+

Mansions in Accrington.

This is for Entwisi, a photo of Laund House, Baxenden.

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheLaund.jpg (164.0 KB, 120 views)
gezmagus likes this.
Old 07-05-2009, 16:42   #19

Re: Mansions in Accrington.

Does anyone have a decent picture of Lower Antley Hall? It was formerly owned by my ancestors.
Thanks

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 16:46   #20
God Member

There is still a rather splendid house in Foxhill. It looks like it's been divided into two homes now but it's quite something.

Rhyddings Hall used to be quite special as well and I believe there was one where Catlow Hall St is - called, wait for it..... Catlow Hall.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 18:10   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
There is still a rather splendid house in Foxhill. It looks like it's been divided into two homes now but it's quite something.

Rhyddings Hall used to be quite special as well and I believe there was one where Catlow Hall St is - called, wait for it..... Catlow Hall.
Where abouts Gayle, I ain't been in Foxhill for over 30 years, seem to remember that a woman who played Hockey for England Valery something or other, live somewhere in that neck of the woods, I know Brian Barns the Scrap Metal bloke used to have the old gate house, but that was over 25 years ago
Old 07-05-2009, 18:15   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Where abouts Gayle, I ain't been in Foxhill for over 30 years, seem to remember that a woman who played Hockey for England Valery something or other, live somewhere in that neck of the woods, I know Brian Barns the Scrap Metal bloke used to have the old gate house, but that was over 25 years ago
Valerie Walsh Jaysay.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 18:24   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
he still had it a couple of summers back, we was walking up yon n was talking to him.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
he still had it a couple of summers back, we was walking up yon n was talking to him.
Like I said cashy I knew he lived there because I sold him some kitchen units quit a while ago, he used to have the Scrap yard on Roe Greave Road, don't even know if that is still there these days
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Valerie Walsh Jaysay.
When I saw this name kate it didn't ring any bells at all, I do have an old copy of the electoral register, so have just dug it out and its Valerie Robinson Foxhill Bank House, The Coach Road
Old 09-05-2009, 11:04   #26

/

Jelly Baby

Last edited by jelly baby; 09-05-2009 at 11:08.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:05   #27

/

Jelly Baby

Last edited by jelly baby; 09-05-2009 at 11:08.
Old 23-02-2010, 19:51   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
Taken from the 1871 census. Seems the house in Gatty park used to be be called Glenfield Hall".
Hi, can I just mention that the house was never known as anything other than Elmfield Hall. Its just a case of one of the transcribers reading it incorrectly. Have just looked at the 1871 census, and, because I am a local person, I know it reads Elmfield. Someone outside the area has just put what they "thought" it said.

Last edited by Neil; 23-02-2010 at 19:58. Reason: fixed quote
Old 23-02-2010, 23:00   #29
God Member

It's good stuff reading about these old 'Mansion houses'; most of 'em were built in the early part of the 19th century as homes for local industrial magnates. It would be nice to see a piccy of the old Manor House at Church (hence Manor |Gardens), which I believe was destroyed by fire sometime in the 1940's. That lay on the site roughly opposite where Dill Hall garage now stands. I believe it may well have been a 17th century building, but there is some historical evidence that a building of a similar nature has been on the same site from the 13th century and possibly even before...anyway, it would be nice to see a snap of the building lost in WW2, if one is available....I've never seen one.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 13:58   #30

Tealeaf I can remember the house that you refer to but I think the fire was well before the War. Around 1937 if my memory serves me right.I lived opposite and I think that I remember a Thunderbolt dropping onto the roof and setting the building alight. But then I was only about 6 years old so I could be wrong.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..