Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2010, 15:51   #31

Re: Mansions in Accrington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, can I just mention that the house was never known as anything other than Elmfield Hall. Its just a case of one of the transcribers reading it incorrectly. Have just looked at the 1871 census, and, because I am a local person, I know it reads Elmfield. Someone outside the area has just put what they "thought" it said.
Thanks for that Atarah,
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2010, 17:51   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
Does anyone have a decent picture of Lower Antley Hall? It was formerly owned by my ancestors.
Thanks
There is a photo in the Jubilee book Jelly Baby .. well, says photo, but looks like a sketch to me. Presume you may have seen this already. If not, will try and get it scanned for you. This is the text that goes along with it :

'Built about the beginning of the seventeenth century, was one of the most ancient halls of Accrington, and was situated where Lonsdale Street and Newark Street now stand. (well not now .. LOL). The Rishtons inhabited it until 1821. In later years it was divided into tenements, and was finally demolished to make way for town improvements'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When I saw this name kate it didn't ring any bells at all, I do have an old copy of the electoral register, so have just dug it out and its Valerie Robinson Foxhill Bank House, The Coach Road
Valerie Walsh was her maiden name Jaysay, sorry. She was a year above me at school.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 20:21   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
It's good stuff reading about these old 'Mansion houses'; most of 'em were built in the early part of the 19th century as homes for local industrial magnates. It would be nice to see a piccy of the old Manor House at Church (hence Manor |Gardens), which I believe was destroyed by fire sometime in the 1940's. That lay on the site roughly opposite where Dill Hall garage now stands. I believe it may well have been a 17th century building, but there is some historical evidence that a building of a similar nature has been on the same site from the 13th century and possibly even before...anyway, it would be nice to see a snap of the building lost in WW2, if one is available....I've never seen one.
Tar Billy Metcalf lived lived at Manor House, he lost a son and a stepson in WW1.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 22:25   #34
Senior Member+

Hi, by saying the old Manor House, do you mean Church Hall? If so, there is a photo in the Old Homesteads, which I could scan for you. If so, it states that towards the end of the 17th century, and for a considerable part of the 18th century, the Hall was occupied by the Entwistle family. There are several references to the family in the registersof Church Kirk. Around 1928 the Broderick family lived there.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 19:19   #35
God Member

Quote:
Hi, by saying the old Manor House, do you mean Church Hall? If so, there is a photo in the Old Homesteads, which I could scan for you. If so, it states that towards the end of the 17th century, and for a considerable part of the 18th century, the Hall was occupied by the Entwistle family. There are several references to the family in the registersof Church Kirk. Around 1928 the Broderick family lived there.
Aye, thats the one...I wasn't sure about the date of the fire. It would be nice to see a piccy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 19:31   #36
Senior Member+

Church Hall for Tealeaf

This one?

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg churchhallfortealeaf.jpg (391.8 KB, 106 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 19:48   #37
God Member

That's the one......Cheers Atarah.

At first glance, early 17c, I think.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 15:21   #38

Quote:
Sorry the photo of Bank House was not very good. This one is clearer I believe. The second photo shows some of the remaining driveway wall, still there, on the old track by the Ambulance Station. If you also look at the top of Adelaide Street, you can still see the remaining gate posts of Bank House.

T'was a lovely house, and was auctioned off in 1957. Lady Higham was the last owner of the property.

Here are a list of all the rooms which were mentioned in the Sales Catalogue:-Garage, Wash-House, Butlers Pantry, Kitchen, Boot Room, Main Hall, Billiard Room, Dining Room, Drawing Room, Morning Room, Conseratory, Library, Domestic Sitting Room, Bedroom, 8 in total.

Atarah
Lived on Barnfield Street in the fifties and used to climb in/ break in to what was probably a garage at Bank House Sandy Lane. Remember there being a wooden plane propeller on the wall. Anyone else remember it?
lesley speak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 07:59   #39
Senior Member+

The two i can think of are Aden Hall and Owl Hall which both stood on plantation road ,Owl hall is still there, Arden hall has been long gone but its coach house is still there and occupied.Owl hall has been bought and planning was sought to turn it into flats and some other housing built on the curtalige of the site,but was knocked back i think, so is now stood empty and fire damaged.
Old 31-12-2010, 11:32   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley speak View Post
Lived on Barnfield Street in the fifties and used to climb in/ break in to what was probably a garage at Bank House Sandy Lane. Remember there being a wooden plane propeller on the wall. Anyone else remember it?
You've got the wrong house, the one facing the top end of Barnfield St, with the junction of Sandy lane, was Broad Oak House.
Bank House was at the top of Adelaide St, as Atarah quoted.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 15:47   #41

Another picture of the laund here for anyone who's interested.
hollandspie likes this.

Last edited by Pudwoppa; 21-02-2011 at 15:53. Reason: Attachment issues :(
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 12:06   #42

My mum was the cook at Bank House in the early fifties until it was sold off. I remember going there every day after school and sitting in the corner of the kitchen playing with my dolls ha ha. I remember clearly the fabulous staircase and the billiard room and I was once allowed to go upstairs and see one of the guest bedrooms and its ajoining bathroom and I can still remember the polished brass pipes and the victorian shower canopy over the bath....I was only twelve when it was sold and dont have any photographs.....I remember the garden parties, the stream running through the grounds and the little bridge over it...and I remember being taken through to sit next to Lady Higham, she asked me some things...dont remember what was said but I remember her high necked, long full skirted black dress ... so very victorian....

Last edited by Rose Wilson; 19-02-2012 at 12:09.
Rose Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 16:29   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There used to be a big house in what is now the Foxhill Nature Reserve, was inhabited until the mid fifties, then became derelict, it was on top of the hill. I remember it had a magnificent stair case in it, was a real shame when they eventually pulled it down
This was Foxhill Bank Hall. It was the residence of Thomas Simpson who was part owner and manager of Foxhill Bank Print Works. He also owned many of the pits around Oswaldtwistle. Thomas was the nephew of James Simpson of Methven in Perthshire who was a calico printer first at Barrow then at Foxhill Bank. His son also called James, cousin of Thomas was a gentleman, not a businessman, and used his inherited wealth to promote vegetarianism, total abstinence, compulsory secular state education, repeal of the corn laws and so on. As a boy I went in the house shortly before it was demolished.
wainejohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..