Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 20:52   #16
Member.

Re: Mk I Presentation Spitfire R7154 - is this what's left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSyme View Post
Sorry, think I posted on the wrong thread.

Any pictures would be of use if you know where the originals came from, but ideally I had in mind this pic from the Mk I Presentation Spitfire R7154 - Accrington, Church and Oswaldtwistle thread.

Any idea where the pictures you attached came from?
Hi RSyme,

The posted photo was a cropped version of the original downloaded off the web, but I first saw the original in a book by a local Historian by the name of John Goddard. The book is an excellent photo archive of Accrington and the surrounding area; it’s a well worth purchase for anyone remotely interested in Accrington or the East Lancs. area.

The Archive Photographs Series

ACCRINGTON

Author; John Goddard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_snazal_com.jpg (37.9 KB, 9 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-06-2009, 21:33   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Sorry, think I posted on the wrong thread.

Any pictures would be of use if you know where the originals came from, but ideally I had in mind this pic from the Mk I Presentation Spitfire R7154 - Accrington, Church and Oswaldtwistle thread.

Any idea where the pictures you attached came from?
Yes from my collection of Fire Brigade photographs.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 21:35   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Hi RSyme,

The posted photo was a cropped version of the original downloaded off the web, but I first saw the original in a book by a local Historian by the name of John Goddard. The book is an excellent photo archive of Accrington and the surrounding area; it’s a well worth purchase for anyone remotely interested in Accrington or the East Lancs. area.

The Archive Photographs Series

ACCRINGTON

Author; John Goddard

John Goddard was formerly the Librarian at Accringon Library.
Retlaw.
Old 19-06-2009, 14:09   #19

Thanks everyone for your help, I have spoken to John who gave me an absolute wealth of information on the spitfire.

Apparently one of the fund raisers held was a football match between the police & fire brigade and the local air raid wardens, the police team won 13-1.
RSyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 15:36   #20
Member.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help, I have spoken to John who gave me an absolute wealth of information on the spitfire.

Apparently one of the fund raisers held was a football match between the police & fire brigade and the local air raid wardens, the police team won 13-1.
Excellent, glad you found what you were looking for. Maybe Mr. Goddard might fancy doing a small publication on the Aircraft. I'd buy it.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 11:05   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeffeBlonde View Post
I found a post from Doug from 2005 re the above spitfire.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...stle-9979.html

I was searching for details of a wreck I came across on a beach in Scotland recently. I never expected what I found out - fascinating! The Accrington, Church, Oswaldtwistle presentaton Spitfire made a crash landing on the beach at Sandwood Bay in 1942 and I reckon that what I found is the remains of the engine and prop - but would welcome some sort of confirmation.

Attachment 11861

Attachment 11862

The find was all the more fascinating because my wife's family is from Church and her parents may well have contributed to the fund.

I have e-mailed the RAF museum to see if anyone could confirm whether the remains look remotely like a Merlin engine but they have ignored me, I guess they have better things to do.

Any Merlin experts out there?

LeffeBlonde
I saw this engine/prop on Sandwood Beach back in 1977. I met a guy with a metal detector who'd just located it buried in the sand. He told us he had found it on a previous visit, and knew of its history, but I only remember him saying that the pilot managed to walk out ok. I can only imagine its the same one. The pictures show exactly where I remember seeing it, north of the two rock outcrops that jut out into the surf. We had to help him dig out around the prop, as this point of the beach is below the waterline of the loch behind, and water constantly seeps into anything you dig.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 17:07   #22
Give, give, give member

More details, and photographs of the crash site on here.

coastrider: Roadtrip 2011; Sandwood bay

The pilot of the Spitfire, Sgt. Kilburn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spitfirepilot.jpg (19.7 KB, 3 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 19:12   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
More details, and photographs of the crash site on here.

coastrider: Roadtrip 2011; Sandwood bay

The pilot of the Spitfire, Sgt. Kilburn.
Been to Sandwood Bay, and its a LL of a hike, one sign says 1 1/2 miles, but then they are Scottish miles, which are 4 times longer than ours, from then on it gets rougher.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 09-09-2011 at 19:14. Reason: Spelling

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..