Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2015, 16:12   #1

Model Lodging House At Church

I wasn't sure whether to add this on to the "Historic Waterfront At Church" thread but it might gain more attention as a "stand alone" item. During my limited visits to Church and this great Website particularly re an interest in Hargreaves Mill, I've somehow failed to notice that the building on the other side of Simpsons Bridge is a former Model Lodging House. It's already a bit of a coincidence that had the Haslingden Canal [Bury Basin to the Canal at Church] been built it would have passed just near my home in Ramsbottom. What I didn't say is that my house is a former Model Lodging House built circa 1880-and sometimes carrying on the tradition I bought it as a former Scrap Yard and was considered mad for doing so. It's nothing like as big as yours though.

I've got some Church material to research but I'm wondering what info/stories/rumours etc Church locals may have. I was able to gather a reasonable amount of detail re my place from accounts in the Heritage Society Magazine etc. I see the MLH is one of the "core" buildings identified in the Gateway Plan of 2006 which sank in 2008 and was being given CPR again in January this year. Any folk memories of Church's MLH would be welcome or anything at all. Was it known as th'Model [as in Rammy] for instance? My place was still housing lodgers in the late 30's for example and was the centre of a Wild West period after Harvest every year when everyone came into town at the weekend. The story is that you could sleep cheaply standing up, leaning on both a rope and the next man along.
All contributions very welcome.
Dave W
wadey likes this.
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2015, 20:55   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Model Lodging House At Church

I have not come across this before. I think that the censuses will provide the answer as to the occupants and use of the building .I think Church was in the Blackburn Poor Law Union from c1837 so from that time, vagrants and the poor would use the workhouse at Queen's Park. The building could have been a commercially-owned lodging house. There is a website - Google 'workhouses' but I don't think that Church will be mentioned. 'Model' meant that it was operated on the government-approved model for
such establishments. It might also appear in early directories. I have heard of sleeping on ropes as being cheaper than in a bed.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 20:57   #3

Dave, do you live in Paradise Street ?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 22:41   #4

For my sins-yes Wadey. ! Are you very familiar with Rammy? Do I know you?

Bob your expert input would be appreciated as always. I found a website today "Did My Ancestors Live In A Model Lodging House?" that sort of confirms my speculation that there was a Daily Mail type panic about working class conditions. The Deeds for my place show it was built for an Aristocratic Woman in Yorkshire [heresy I know] to raise 18 Guineas a year in income a tidy sum then. Perhaps it was a government supported "cash cow" like wind farms today?

Dave
Old 29-06-2015, 07:33   #5
Senior Member+

I remember the saying when I used to lodge in Islington when the digs were full and I had to look elsewhere. "Go and have two penneth of rope" meaning find the shed where the tramps slept leaning on a rope.
I never used those facilities because I always had backup digs.
I knew a man who lived in Paradise street Accrington, he was a radio ham but I cannot remember anymore about him
Old 29-06-2015, 08:48   #6

The rope story is viewed with some scepticism in Rammy although the Scrap Yard guy told me that two elderly ladies turned up one day and related the same tale plus other details re the building. It took me a while to clarify that it was the Ramsbottom MLH as it had been confused with a [demolished] place on the other side of town that had been a Theatrical Lodging House. When people refer to the "Common" Lodging House I act all offended

Your Islington Story is very helpfull. There was a Paradise Street in Bury with a Folk Music pub but it's been obscured by town improvements now, the same ones that have turned Bury into a New York Multiplex! I tell people that I live in Paradise at the Centre of the Universe!

I think that there must be a whole rake of MLH stories related to Church. Early days yet!

Dave
Old 29-06-2015, 09:46   #7

i notice it was tuppence on the rope Gremlin not a penny. Always costly in "that London". Just another slight coincidence [Nicolas Roeg the Film Director seemed keen on synchronicity in the BBC4 Doc last night] I've always been very interested in vintage Radio/TV etc as per the chap in P Street Accrington.
I passed the Radio Amateur Exam at Bolton College in 83 but never actually transmitted-it all got a bit CB and offensive for a while.
Dave
Old 29-06-2015, 09:48   #8
Senior Member+

I am on the case, Dave., checking censuses
Old 29-06-2015, 13:51   #9

Float with women, men with horse GARDEN PARTY. Edwardian In Paradise St. Rams with New Model Lodging House, Crow Lane, Ashton Chimney to south, maybe float for Ramsbottom Queen?

Ramsbottom Heritage Society - Image search results - "lodging"

May be of interest !
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 16:28   #10
Senior Member+

Struggling to find stuff to confirm the Church lodging house However, in 1897, Absalom Eddleston kept a lodging house at 41 Blackburn Rd, which was between the Commercial & Henry St
This block no longer there.
Tis a pity that David Hogg's bo0oks on the history of Church and Ossie are not indexed/
wadey likes this.
Old 29-06-2015, 20:24   #11
Senior Member+

1901 census shows 55 Blackburn Rd as Mr Eddleston's lodging house - with 25 male boarders. This type of lodging house would be what was called an Artisans' lodging house. I am sceptical about the canalside building being a lodging house
Old 29-06-2015, 20:55   #12

Bob I only picked this up really through the photo of the MLH and Warehouse showing it with a banner for a Wedding Planning business or some such. The Gateway Document from 2006 isn't very specific as far as I can see. There were also other lodging houses in Rammy along with my place.

Thanks for that Wadey-i will check it out!

Dave
Old 30-06-2015, 07:32   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was certainly a place in Manchester, cant remember where now, but the local saying was " Penny Rope int Doss House"
wadey likes this.
Old 20-08-2015, 19:53   #14

I was back in Church recently [nice pies at the shop on Henry Street]. On Friday 7th of August, my brother and I had a walk around in the sunshine with a view to looking at Hargreaves Mill and the Lodging House. I thought somebody might be working at the Mill or are they just using it as a Builder's Yard? The red brick Model Lodging House next door must have had going on 50 rooms. I counted three rows of eight rooms at the back! My brother pointed out that the section furthest away from the canal looks like designated accomodation for perhaps the official/administrative section or the Warden and his family? My place in Rammy had Warden accommodation but as it's part demolished, I'm not sure how that was arranged. We were hoping to find some sort of ID on the building but nothing? The header over what seems too be the front entrance is in sandstone and very worn away, contrasting with the Accy Brick construction. There seems to have been some wording on there once but very faint, we couldn't make it out at all. Any ideas? Phil rang me yesterday to say the MLH is now on sale at £240k. That seems opptomistic to say the least.

In spired by the Rammy/Church coincidence I made a rough list of others in Lancs at one point but it's misplaced at the moment. Shortage of time is usually the problem plus too many things going on.

I've known Accrington for years but never really had a close look at the Centre [apart from the great library building that served Jeanette Winterson so well]. We were really impressed as outsiders but I know those who've lived with a decline may not agree. It's still a very interesting place in our view. I tried to get a street map in Smiths but settled for a more general one instead. They cheerfully agreed that they get asked for these regularly but it's Head Office at fault apparently. Just like the old joke-we don't stock it-your the fifth person to ask this week. I'll be back on site in a few weeks.
Dave
Old 20-08-2015, 20:22   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I remember the saying when I used to lodge in Islington when the digs were full and I had to look elsewhere. "Go and have two penneth of rope" meaning find the shed where the tramps slept leaning on a rope.
I never used those facilities because I always had backup digs.
I knew a man who lived in Paradise street Accrington, he was a radio ham but I cannot remember anymore about him
Russell My brother Bob Griggs lived on paradise Street and he was a Radio Ham
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..