Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 10:01   #1

Mountain Lane

I was up round christchurch the other day and i came across Mountain Lane, i've tried doing a bit of research on the internet but i cant really find any information on it. Could any body enlighten me about history of it? im particularly intrested in number 7 (the first one on the right if you are looking from the rough lee side) as it looks different to all the rest.

Many thanks in advance

Deef
Deef is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2011, 10:03   #2

Mountain Lane

I was up round christchurch the other day and i came across Mountain Lane, i've tried doing a bit of research on the internet but i cant really find any information on it. Could any body enlighten me about history of it? im particularly intrested in number 7 (the first one on the right if you are looking from the rough lee side) as it looks different to all the rest.

Many thanks in advance

Deef
Old 12-05-2011, 10:41   #3
Resting in Peace

Re: Mountain Lane

Would love to help but I don't get to New Zealand very often.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:01   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef View Post

Many thanks in advance

Deef
A lot of the houses on Moutain Lane predate 1840, and the house your quoting has changed over the years, they were originally back to back, & the rear part was known as Richard St, the postcode was BB5 2LU.
Mount Pleasant St has also gone, when Mountain Lane was modernised.

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-05-2011 at 11:06.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 20:00   #5
Senior Member+

Hi, you must mean the house thats been up for auction, which apparently never reached the reserve price, and has now been sold privately? The house IS def different than the other 3 on the row.

Somewhere at the back of my mind I feel there was a connection with the house you mention, the Nutter family and the building which became Rough Lee Maternity home, just a little higher up the road.

There used to be seperate houses at the rear of that small block and were once known as Richard Street, but alas, that street name has now been lost in time, as the other 3 houses were knocked through from the Mountain Lane side, and now the only postal address is Mountain Lane. You had to go between the 4 cottages on the RH side and up towards the side of Holly Bank to get to Richard Street. The loss of an old name also applies to the other side of the street. They too were back to back houses, the "other" side being known as Mount Pleasant. There were a few "ginnels" which took you through to Mount Pleasant, but those too have been boarded up as they became "part" of the enlarged properties.

Really old area, think most of it is certainly on 1851 census, might even be on 1841, not too sure, maybe Retlaw will help on that one.

Last edited by Atarah; 12-05-2011 at 20:03.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 20:38   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, you must mean the house thats been up for auction, which apparently never reached the reserve price, and has now been sold privately? The house IS def different than the other 3 on the row.

Somewhere at the back of my mind I feel there was a connection with the house you mention, the Nutter family and the building which became Rough Lee Maternity home, just a little higher up the road.

There used to be seperate houses at the rear of that small block and were once known as Richard Street, but alas, that street name has now been lost in time, as the other 3 houses were knocked through from the Mountain Lane side, and now the only postal address is Mountain Lane. You had to go between the 4 cottages on the RH side and up towards the side of Holly Bank to get to Richard Street. The loss of an old name also applies to the other side of the street. They too were back to back houses, the "other" side being known as Mount Pleasant. There were a few "ginnels" which took you through to Mount Pleasant, but those too have been boarded up as they became "part" of the enlarged properties.

Really old area, think most of it is certainly on 1851 census, might even be on 1841, not too sure, maybe Retlaw will help on that one.
There are two threads running on the subject of Mountain Lane, I have already supplied info on Richard St, on the othger one.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 21:06   #7
Senior Member+

Hi, yep, there are two threads running
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ane-57833.html

Will see if I can find anything else for you though

Last edited by Atarah; 12-05-2011 at 21:09.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 22:33   #8
Senior Member+

Rough Lee is so called because the Nutter family came from Rough Lee, which is near Nelson I think. The Nutter also owned land in Cleveleys, where there is a Nutter Rd and other street names linked to the family., Of course, there is also Nutter Rd in Accrington.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 21:56   #9

Thanks for the replies yeah i posted it on both just in case the histories one didn't get checked or something. Who where the nutter family? Do you think number 7 was some sort of annex of rough lee?
Old 13-05-2011, 21:58   #10

Thank you for the reply

Tags
accrignton, accrington, history, lane, mountain, street

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..