Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 22:18   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: Name the stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
No I admit I forgot! Sorry ..... I will try to get my butt in gear beginning of this week.

Any news on how to get some pics Kate?
Ok .. here is the tale.

Went to Chairman, says, "Yes Marketing has images on a DVD, ask them" Gave me a run-down of the history of the stream, etc. Confirmed everything you have said.

I proceed to ask Manager in marketing,"Have you got maps on DVD?" " No.. but will ask Director of Ossy Mills, when he gets back from business trip, where they are and get shots for you"

Gets back to me nobody knows where they stored them, but belong to civic society,"here is E-mail address of Civic Society Chairman" duly notes this.

Goes back to Chairman, explains what has happened,"Do you know where said maps are?" "Yes" quotes he "In the old showroom next to you". "But says I, our Marketing Department says does not have these on DVD". "Are you sure?" says Chairman, did ask for it to be done, anyway, they are going back in three weeks time".

In the meantime, searches dismantled showroom, but lights not working properly and can't find the bloody things !!

Chairman comes to me on Friday asks if I have got them. "No" I reply in disappointed manner. He notes my crestfallen expression and says : "I think young Sarah has these on computer,but she is on holiday, ask her when she gets back from holiday !!"

Think tomorrow, so I will carry on with this quest.

Will post next episode tomorrow. ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2006, 22:32   #107
God Member

Bloomin heck Kate ...... all that trouble!! Cheers though
Old 10-07-2006, 17:42   #108
Resting in Peace

Chapter ll .. well, young lady back from holiday and seems they did attempt photographs of the maps, but are laminated and the reflection distorted the image to the camera, also too large for them to scan.

So .. will E-Mail Mike Booth (have left address on pad at work and didn't get time today). Was history teacher at Rhyddings. Seems he has written books on Oswaldtwistle that can be obtained, so feel might get directed to said books. Will give it a go anyway. x
Old 10-07-2006, 21:06   #109
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Went to Chairman, says, "Yes Marketing has images on a DVD, ask them" Gave me a run-down of the history of the stream, etc. Confirmed everything you have said.
Confirmed everything who said?
Tinks? Me? Doug?
I've never believed any marketing person they do tend to bend the truth. So the bottom line is we still don't know the answer for now.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 21:40   #110
Resting in Peace

Must admit Bagpuss, have got a little lost in this thread, just trying to find the maps that's all for yer'. Just that Hilden Group chairman has a lot of knowledge with regard to streams in Ossy, etc., as probably owned most of them in the past, and confirmed where it started etc. Did glaze over a little when he was telling me the history of it all, but what is the ultimate answer you are looking for .. sorry, know probably being a little thick here.
Old 12-07-2006, 21:18   #111
Resting in Peace

Well, 'spect you all bored by my hunt by now, however, E-mailed Civic Society, no reply as yet . possibly on holiday BUT .. have found the maps, ironically 10 yards in front of me behind a division wall. Let me know what you want me to look at and will do.

Tinkerbelle: sure if you wished to come and look, they wouldn't mind.
Old 12-07-2006, 21:23   #112
Accy Red

If you go back to the first post we are trying to find out the name of a stretch of water. We want to know if it has one name from Jacobs Lodge to the River Hyndburn or if it splits and then there would possibly be two names.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 12-07-2006, 21:31   #113
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
If you go back to the first post we are trying to find out the name of a stretch of water. We want to know if it has one name from Jacobs Lodge to the River Hyndburn or if it splits and then there would possibly be two names.
Oh, sorry, thought that you had solved it though .. Antley Syke ? Hey, not easy these streams are they ? Ok... will concentrate more sir
Old 12-07-2006, 21:39   #114
Accy Red

Quote:
Oh, sorry, thought that you had solved it though .. Antley Syke ?
Me and Doug don't agree with that name although we have yet to come up with anything else yet, Tinkerbelle's source came up with Antley Syke but we don't think that is the name for the whole length of the stream.

Old 12-07-2006, 21:50   #115
God Member

Quote:
Tinkerbelle: sure if you wished to come and look, they wouldn't mind.
Sorry Katex I'd missed that bit.

I'm going to try and grab my sidekick tomorrow and have a look in to Ossy Mills. Were do I go?

I'm asking here instead of a private message incase any one else wants to have a look.
Old 12-07-2006, 21:56   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sorry Katex I'd missed that bit.

I'm going to try and grab my sidekick tomorrow and have a look in to Ossy Mills. Were do I go?

I'm asking here instead of a private message incase any one else wants to have a look.
Well, I think I could bring down to reception at lunch time what you wish to see, sure they won't mind. Are actually not at Ossie Mills, at Clifton .. 'ya know the red brick building past the gardens at the back.

I will obviously have to get permission first .. sure will be OK .. anyway I can get in touch with you in the morning? Would have to be my lunch time 12.30 >>1.30 which I would gladly sacrifice to meet yerself.
Old 12-07-2006, 22:00   #117
God Member

Quote:
Well, I think I could bring down to reception at lunch time what you wish to see, sure they won't mind. Are actually not at Ossie Mills, at Clifton .. 'ya know the red brick building past the gardens at the back.

I will obviously have to get permission first .. sure will be OK .. anyway I can get in touch with you in the morning? Would have to be my lunch time 12.30 >>1.30 which I would gladly sacrifice to meet yerself.
Your a diamond! I'll be there 12.30 on the dot. Cliftons Reception.
Old 12-07-2006, 22:16   #118
Member.

Well done Kate.

I’ll pick up a few interested individuals on the way over, we can all have lunch on Tinks..

As a great man once said, "Antley Syke my A***" :engsmil:

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 22:21   #119
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Well done Kate.

I’ll pick up a few interested individuals on the way over, we can all have lunch on Tinks..

As a great man once said, "Antley Syke my A***" :engsmil:
As this great woman once said ........ Doug I'm gonna kick your a***!
Old 12-07-2006, 22:27   #120
Member.

Quote:
As this great woman once said ........ Doug I'm gonna kick your a***!
Do I look bothered........

Is that way you always run and hide when I drive up your end.

You fairy..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..