Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2013, 10:31   #1
BOB

new book about the observer

Just spotted a book about the Accrington observer and telegraph on Amazon . its called a splash of hot metal ? anyone read it ?
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2013, 10:56   #2
Senior Member+

Re: new book about the observer

An author called Hunt, who was a cub reporter in the 50s has written one - different title - about his Edgar St days with the Observer. I don't know if he moved onto the Telegraph. Give us a title & author please, Bob. Bob
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 13:37   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
An author called Hunt, who was a cub reporter in the 50s has written one - different title - about his Edgar St days with the Observer. I don't know if he moved onto the Telegraph. Give us a title & author please, Bob. Bob
A Splash of Hot Metal By Jeff Stevens.
Old 22-08-2013, 13:49   #4
BOB

just download the book on kindle my first one
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 22:01   #5

Talking Re: new book about the observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB View Post
just download the book on kindle my first one
Well I'm glad someone's buying,it is available in print as well.
My first effort,seems to have found favour with most of the people who have read it,apart from one' professional journalist'.
I wrote it mainly as a light hearted history of local newspaper production, it relates a few tales of the characters who worked at the Observer and Lancashire Evening Telegraph,from the1960's to the 1990's.
I don't think I will be retiring on the proceeds!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 08:28   #6
Senior Member+

I 've heard a whisper that Lampman is coming to Acc to give a talk about his Observer days - what's the score, Lampman? If correct, while you are here, please find time to give a lesson in reporting to the present staff on the paper.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 15:47   #7

Talking Re: new book about the observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I 've heard a whisper that Lampman is coming to Acc to give a talk about his Observer days - what's the score, Lampman? If correct, while you are here, please find time to give a lesson in reporting to the present staff on the paper.
Hmm! Must be Chinese whispers.
As for the journalist,I think we hould let lying dogs sleep..........As Frank Kitchener the former Editor said on numerous occasions.:-
Old 22-10-2013, 16:03   #8

Sorry,the perils of tablet typing! I think we should let lying dogs sleep:-)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..