Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2011, 20:05   #1
Senior Member+

New Book; Edwardian Accrington Observed

This is a book just published. It is edited by Richard Crossley, whose family owned the Observer. It's 266pages are made up of the articles appearinbg in the Observer each Saturday under the title 'Ladies' Chain', edited by 'Stella' In the period 1901-10, 'Stella' was the editor's daughter, Florrie Crossley.

This is not juist for today's ladies. Blokes will enjoy it too, as it is local history from a different standpoint. Some will see it as 'middle class', where ladies wore gowns and not frocks. It gives a look into the past that I have not come acrioss before in any depth, as althiough I have looked at hundreds of old Observers, I have not previously read many 'Ladies' Chains'

Probably on sale in the library and the Town Hall @ £11.95. Ordered by post with an accompanying cheque, there are no postage charges; Send to
Richard Crossley, 'Woodnook' Moor Lane, Whalley BB7 9JO ([email protected])
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2011, 20:49   #2
Full Member+

Re: New Book; Edwardian Accrington Observed

I first came across the term Ladies' Chain when I was trying to find info about Bank House (where I live is the old site of BH) Still not sure of the connection, maybe Lady Higham was a member of the Ladies' Chain.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 21:02   #3
Senior Member+

I don't know how the name first cropped up. With a bit of luck, Accyweb's 'First Lady' (Atarah) will know and respond.
Old 23-11-2011, 21:22   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Ta Bob,will tell some family mug,to get it me fer xmas.
Old 23-11-2011, 22:37   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ta Bob,will tell some family mug,to get it me fer xmas.
Are you a masochist or what, who the ell wants to read that tripe, woman about women, giving them bright ideas. Go to library put one of the old observers into the micro viewer, and have a read, then see if you want to read the rest.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 22:49   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Are you a masochist or what, who the ell wants to read that tripe, woman about women, giving them bright ideas. Go to library put one of the old observers into the micro viewer, and have a read, then see if you want to read the rest.

Retlaw
No am just interested to see if they are Dumb or Dumber back then. but the Librarys a good idea.
Old 24-11-2011, 10:27   #7

I saw a few copies floating round on ebay (new and direct from the author I think) if anyone wants to buy it online.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 10:42   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
I saw a few copies floating round on ebay (new and direct from the author I think) if anyone wants to buy it online.
Good spotting. However, do check first if they are 'post free'
Old 24-11-2011, 10:55   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Good spotting. However, do check first if they are 'post free'
Yes they are Bob, just been to have a look.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 02:24   #10
Senior Member+

Think folk should try and find out what the book is about first of all before they buy. It WONT be "everybody's cup of tea".
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 12:09   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Think folk should try and find out what the book is about first of all before they buy. It WONT be "everybody's cup of tea".
I ordered it on ebay yesterday. Should be here early next week then I will be able to let you know.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 17:40   #12
Junior Member+

The book is now available in the Accrington Branch of WH Smith. If anyone would like to receive a pdf with a sample of some of the actual content and photographs, I would be happy to oblige. Just email me on [email protected]
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 18:28   #13
Senior Member+

Where else? The library? the Town Hall?
Old 25-11-2011, 18:44   #14
Junior Member+

At the moment it is available either directly from me (including my Ebay entry) or WH Smith. I have agreed to supply The Lancashire Book stall in Ossy Mills and am awaiting his order.
The Library and Accrington Town Hall are not outlets at the time of writing.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 10:35   #15
I am Banned

May i suggest a copy be donated to the library, to add to the local reference section? Thankyou
groove is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..