Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 16:12   #16
I am Banned

Re: New Jerusalem Church Abbey St.

[quote=susie123;1007312]It does say in the article

A new smaller modern building was erected in Hargreaves St on the site of the old Sunday School and was opened in September 1985 and remains in use.
The new building is not built on the site of the old school, it is on the site of no's 1 to 7 Hargreaves St formerly occupied by 1 Mortimer, 3 Mrs Parker, 5 Gill's & 7 was Jack Sagar the Church & School caretaker.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2012, 16:20   #17
Resting In Peace

[quote=Retlaw;1007349]
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
It does say in the article

A new smaller modern building was erected in Hargreaves St on the site of the old Sunday School and was opened in September 1985 and remains in use.
The new building is not built on the site of the old school, it is on the site of no's 1 to 7 Hargreaves St formerly occupied by 1 Mortimer, 3 Mrs Parker, 5 Gill's & 7 was Jack Sagar the Church & School caretaker.
Yes that is correct, the Sunday school was further up Hargreaves Street, Having been there every day for school I do remember that.
Old 05-08-2012, 17:59   #18
Junior Member+

My thanks to everyone for all this help. Susie and Margaret, thank you for your links. I could spend hours looking at these old photographs, and Atarah, thank you for posting the photos. Bob, I'll send you a PM about the Grammar School.

New Jerusalem was a very large church, or so it seemed to me, and it was lovely inside. I'm sorry it's demolished, but I suppose the congregation had dwindled and couldn't support a church of that size. I didn't know about the dry rot.

When I went there, Mr. Hill, Rev. G.T. Hill, was the minister, and I have faint memories of a Mr. Edge before him. Retlaw, you might put me right, if I'm mistaken. Susie, was the Central Prep. School in the same Hargreaves St. Building as the Sunday School? Two of my neighbours attended, twins, Leo and Frances Warren, but they may have been there before you. They lived on Sandy Lane.

Joan
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 18:05   #19
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post
My thanks to everyone for all this help. Susie and Margaret, thank you for your links. I could spend hours looking at these old photographs, and Atarah, thank you for posting the photos. Bob, I'll send you a PM about the Grammar School.

New Jerusalem was a very large church, or so it seemed to me, and it was lovely inside. I'm sorry it's demolished, but I suppose the congregation had dwindled and couldn't support a church of that size. I didn't know about the dry rot.

When I went there, Mr. Hill, Rev. G.T. Hill, was the minister, and I have faint memories of a Mr. Edge before him. Retlaw, you might put me right, if I'm mistaken. Susie, was the Central Prep. School in the same Hargreaves St. Building as the Sunday School? Two of my neighbours attended, twins, Leo and Frances Warren, but they may have been there before you. They lived on Sandy Lane.

Joan
Thank you Joan. Yes, CPS was in the Sunday school building. I was there till 1957, from when the school located from Oak Street Cong sometime at the beginning of the fifties. I was only four when I started so not sure what year they moved but I have a vivid memory of my first day at school at Oak Street!

Your neighbours' names are not familiar but they could have been above me.
Old 05-08-2012, 18:22   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post

Joan
Mr Edge was the Vicar of the Church, the main school, building on the odd numbered side of Hargreaves St, was used by the Home Guard during the war, after that it was mostly used by the Robert Cunliffe Orchestra & other organisations as a meeting place. The Sunday School, was facing nu 19 to 25 Hargreaves St, and was at one time used by Williams Tool Merchants, that building is still there.

Old 05-08-2012, 18:31   #21
I am Banned

I watched them when they were taking the roof off, and exposed all the beams & rafters inside, they piled a lot of the stuff in Briggs Yard, next to the old air raid shelter, the main beams were made from yellow pine, that was the timber used in the pattern making industry, lovely wood to work with, but it was just sold on as scrap, all the fancy pinacles got smashed, yes it was a big church one of the biggest in Accrington.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..