Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 06:56   #31
God Member

Re: Not my kitchen window!

Correction: 'Warm Lea' should read 'Warm Leaf'. I can't type!
Old 10-08-2004, 07:25   #32
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

Doug:

If you look At the First edition OS 1:10000 map you will see that St. Augustines hasn't been built yet but it's position is between four farms Higher Brown Birks to the south, Lower Brown Birks to the north - ish Warm Lea and Within Grove, Both slightly to the West. However the whole area was given the name, based on Within Grove Cottage when the council estate was built.

Bu**er, I'm going to aft to buy a map now. You have my respects bob, but please remember that I'm in Blackpool and working from an old road map and a even older defective memory.

Keep them coming………
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 16:31   #33
God Member

Try this:

http://www.mario.lancashire.gov.uk/

It layers up to date maps with aerial photographs and old maps. It's probably the best thing to come out of the county council - EVER! I waste hours using it.
Old 10-08-2004, 21:21   #34
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Try this:

http://www.mario.lancashire.gov.uk/

It layers up to date maps with aerial photographs and old maps. It's probably the best thing to come out of the county council - EVER! I waste hours using it.
Excellent Bob, I don't know how I've never come across this before, thanks for the tip.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:30   #35
God Member

I only came across it by accident, myself. But isn't it typical of the way things are run around here? The things they make a b*ll*cks of are lauded to the heavens and the stuff they can do reasonably well is often ignored.
Old 12-08-2004, 16:12   #36
God Member

Just tidying things up a bit.

St.Augustine's. 1909, grade II listed, In the Perpendicular style. The arms, above what is described as "mouchette tracery", I speculate, belong to Mr H.H. Bolton J.P. a major benefactor of the church. Can anyone confirm this, please?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..