Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Accyexplorer
  • 1 Post By Accyexplorer
  • 1 Post By Retlaw
  • 1 Post By Accyexplorer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2014, 02:18   #1
Senior Member+

Old Blackburn fire station (byrom street)

Did this a while ago now,While visiting a friend in Blackburn I drove past the old Fire station an noticed it was derelict.
I couldn't help myself,I had to take a closer look (Shame i only had my iPhone) .

HISTORY:
BLACKBURN FIRE STATION opened on December 8th 1921 , the 0.81 acre site includes workshops, offices, car park and a 60ft-high fire station tower.
Earliest traceable records show a Fire Brigade in Blackburn as long ago as 1794. Fires reported in local papers of 1812 and 1826 stated that the town's provision, which was based in Lord Street, was in a very unfit condition and of little effect. In 1836 it is recorded that the Brigade cost the town of Blackburn £106 1s.7d for it's upkeep. In 1851 Blackburn received its Charter of Incororation and one of the first duties of the Town Council was to improve the facilities for coping with outbreaks of fire and in 1856 they purchased a fire engine at a cost of £150. This horse drawn engine was housed in Engine Street, which is the site of the present Town Hall. By 1856 the Town Council was forced to take action to improve the facilities again and a site in Clayton Street was acquired, and a station built and opened in 1867.

The Station comprised an engine house, 42' high hose tower, store room, engineer's workshop and recreation room. There was also a small smithy, office, Superintendent's house and stabling for the horses. Seventeen cottages adjoined the station for the men, the remainder lived at distances of up to 300 yards from the station. The engine house remained substantially the same until it's closure in 1921.

Later two motorised Fire Engines were purchased and installed in a new Fire Station on Byrom Street. This station also included residences for the first and second officers and 33 cottages for the men. The station remained on the site until 2012.

The new Blackburn Community Fire Station was opened on 26th April 2012 by the Fire Minister, Bob Neill MP and the Worshipful the Mayor of Blackburn with Darwen Borough Coucil,Councillor Mrs Karimeh Foster. The new station is situated directly opposite the previous station on Byrom Street

ENJOY

IMG_1175.jpgIMG_1207.jpgIMG_1231.jpgIMG_1241.jpgIMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1185.jpgIMG_1215.jpgIMG_1218.jpgIMG_1224.jpgIMG_1329.jpg
wadey likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Mick; 23-01-2014 at 19:36.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2014, 11:15   #2

Re: Old Blackburn fire station (byrom street)

Just looking at pic #5: I'm impressed by the amount of architectural detail put on a utilitarian building in those days.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 14:48   #3
Senior Member+

Looks like this wonderful buildings made recent news,I foresee it going down the demolition road to be honest

Blackburn fire station fears as vandals strike (From Lancashire Telegraph)

password--Accyweb
Old 25-01-2014, 16:54   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Just looking at pic #5: I'm impressed by the amount of architectural detail put on a utilitarian building in those days.
Very True,The craftsmen of today would struggle to match such architectural masterpieces
Turtle likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 25-01-2014, 22:06   #5

Old Blackburn fire station (byrom street)

And it's not the only disused fire station lying empty and derelict. The one on Manchester Road is of similar period construction. it is Grade 2 listed, and so will be near impossible to sell. Has been on the market for years, but there's not so much of a need for bomb shelters these days

http://www.pettycommercial.co.uk/pro...p?property=155
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 00:12   #6
Senior Member+

password--Accyweb
Old 28-01-2014, 22:05   #7

The videos are interesting - we feel like we're exploring along with you. Do you ever get creeped out in any of the buildings?
Old 28-01-2014, 22:38   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
And it's not the only disused fire station lying empty and derelict. The one on Manchester Road is of similar period construction. it is Grade 2 listed, and so will be near impossible to sell. Has been on the market for years, but there's not so much of a need for bomb shelters these days

http://www.pettycommercial.co.uk/pro...p?property=155
It wouln't take much explosives to bring down Accys old fire station, there are cracks all over the place, and subsidence in some places, some of the houses in Grange lane had to be underpinned, the only things that will survive are those concrete supports for the old glass canopies over the rear engine bays, they are reinforced. Some of the Yorkshire stone facings are also being pushed out of place, some of them were rebbeded when I was there during the 1960's.
Accyexplorer likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-01-2014 at 22:41.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 00:40   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
The videos are interesting - we feel like we're exploring along with you. Do you ever get creeped out in any of the buildings?
Thanks,I uploaded them to try give folk a better insight into some of the places I've been.

The short answer is yes ,however there is a (strange) relaxation in the stillness of dereliction on some sites.
Once inside (my mind takes over) I find it amazing to imagine what these places would have been like in the day.
I suppose its kinda like tunnel vision I find myself conjuring up images and questions about what went on,how these places were used.
To be honest I find modern life can get a bit boring, how people are so unaware of our past and can walk right past somewhere without a second glance (I suppose that's the mentality of some of folk nowadays,destroy rather than preserve ).
Accrington Lad likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 29-01-2014, 13:27   #10

Thanks for sharing. The odd time I've been able to explore a derelict building I had similar thoughts and feelings.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..