Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 18:32   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Old Hotels in Accrington

re kendals anyone remember the shop called little jacks?
claret39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-09-2011, 21:22   #17
Senior Member+

Old Hotels in Accrington

Re Kendals.
Someone has bought it, and its being made into houses and offices, so one of the workmen said today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kendalls Hotel site Blackburn Road 6th Sept 2011 .jpg (342.1 KB, 45 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 21:39   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Re Kendals.
Someone has bought it, and its being made into houses and offices, so one of the workmen said today.
Cheers was wondering, bet it aint a Lancastrian though thats bought it?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:19   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Cheers was wondering, bet it aint a Lancastrian though thats bought it?
Um I don't know cashy could well be a Mr Hammed or a Mr Patel
Old 29-11-2011, 10:08   #20

As far as I know a local has bought it. My Dad popped in as he knew one of the guys working there and it turns out that they still have the original guest book when the hotel was going in the early 1900's - lots of Russian names in there apparently.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 10:20   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekibird View Post
As far as I know a local has bought it. My Dad popped in as he knew one of the guys working there and it turns out that they still have the original guest book when the hotel was going in the early 1900's - lots of Russian names in there apparently.
Once remember a Russian called Ikickabollockoff staying there for a couple of weeks
Old 29-11-2011, 10:30   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Ask them to donate it to the Library, its part of Accringtons history.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 10:33   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Once remember a Russian called Ikickabollockoff staying there for a couple of weeks
And his mate Ivorknackerless.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 12:26   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Very interesting, and i second what Retlaw says re the library
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 13:41   #25

It's nice to see something on Blackburn Road being repaired rather than knocked down
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 23:57   #26

I am going over to see my parents at Christmas (they emigrated to france five years ago) and ask for contact numbers of the new owner. Apparently he was very proud of the historical elements he has found and perhaps plans to keep them in promotion of the place once its finished. I can always suggest library option but I believe its going to be a marketing tool. We shall see...
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 13:21   #27
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Re Kendals.
Early 1950s a Mr/Mrs Preston owned the Kendle Hotel they had a son called James and a daughter called May, been to quite a few all night xmas parties there,after Morts
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 17:25   #28
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
At one time the watering hole frequented by Mike, Less and Beni, used to take paying guest, not sure if they still do, as did the Regency Bar (think it was called the Commercial in those days)
My mother , a weaver at the Royal Mill Clayton , was laid off in the 1930s Depression . She got a job as a maid at the Commercial , and was allowed home after tea but had to be back by 10pm to sleep in the hotel .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 13:21   #29

Wink Re: Old Hotels in Accrington

My name is May Preston. On October 1st. 1945 my parents bought Kendall's and turned it into a thriving business.l left Accrington in 1959 to be married and live in Barcelona. My parents died and my brother Jim and his wife Jean took over the hotel. So many stories could be told ...... but in the hotel business silence is the word.
May Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 12:25   #30

Could anyone assist me with the history of Spire Farm?
Frank T is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..