Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2007, 14:08   #31
God Member

Re: Old House At Home Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
yep , thats right , where the Ribble buses used to set off from to Manchester, Clitheroe and Burnley , Accrington corporation buses on the Gt. Harwood -Whalley ,#231 run used to set off from there as well, think the wakes weeks charabancs used to set from there as well.
Ah I remember it now but i cant ever rem a pub...umm must have been before my time
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2007, 17:33   #32
Senior Member+

Remember it well as Corners in the early 80's.The couple who had the Astronaut took it over (McGuiness).Cant remember if it changed names again or not before it eventually fell to the power of the bulldozer
Old 14-01-2007, 22:15   #33
God Member

It used to be the bees knees, hope and anchor, broadway, corners and back round em all when i was 18. You started off and finished in the corners. Then when you got kicked out of there if it was a friday night you went home - if it was saturday you went to Rumours or whatever it was called next to where the old pictures was.

Really didnt like it when they said they were knocking it down because they were building that new road through. In fact the road goes through where the bar was in the corners.

By the way saying 18 because i dont really want to give any 16 year olds a bad impression when really it was 16! The corners was the first pub i went into down accrington when i was 16 - actually on my 16th birthday!

Last edited by shillelagh; 14-01-2007 at 22:19. Reason: added a bit more
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 11:50   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
Remember it well as Corners in the early 80's.The couple who had the Astronaut took it over (McGuiness).Cant remember if it changed names again or not before it eventually fell to the power of the bulldozer
Got it At one time either before or after it was called Corners it was called The Cock & Bull I'm having doubts now,can anyone confirm this
Old 21-01-2007, 17:00   #35
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

corners!! I remember that pub, used to have some good pi$$ ups in there when i was a kid!! ....good times!!
Old 21-01-2007, 17:03   #36
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Got it At one time either before or after it was called Corners it was called The Cock & Bull I'm having doubts now,can anyone confirm this
That sounds vaguely familiar.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 23:25   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

missed this thread,was in spain in jan lol used to be one of my regulars, had a landlord called Hughie who i used to get on with really well, UNTIL 1 night i got a vinegarfly pint, so i said can you change this pint its a bad un, Hughie said Get Out you are Barred, well cashy was not amused, in the lounge on the wall were 2 lovely brass pipes (ones you blow) so cashy went in took one off the wall n bent it in half n said there Hughie now i'm barred for a GOOD Reason.
Old 09-07-2007, 15:34   #38
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
missed this thread,was in spain in jan lol used to be one of my regulars, had a landlord called Hughie who i used to get on with really well, UNTIL 1 night i got a vinegarfly pint, so i said can you change this pint its a bad un, Hughie said Get Out you are Barred, well cashy was not amused, in the lounge on the wall were 2 lovely brass pipes (ones you blow) so cashy went in took one off the wall n bent it in half n said there Hughie now i'm barred for a GOOD Reason.
Class Mr Cashman, have you mellowed since then, my bet is you would still do the same now.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 18:42   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Class Mr Cashman, have you mellowed since then, my bet is you would still do the same now.
thanks Bagpuss, suffice to say i live life by a simple phylosophy, if people are ok with me - then they got a mate, if they aint- Bad Move, cashy is much worse.
Old 15-07-2007, 20:32   #40
Senior Member+

Yep, Cock and Bull rings a bell with me too, I got into my first ever fight in the Corners a long time ago !
Old 15-07-2007, 21:23   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
would that be the same guy that had the central club,n has now the Great Eastern ?
Old 16-07-2007, 13:40   #42
Senior Member+

correct cashy
joe mcguiness liked a flutter if i
remeber correctly

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:06   #43

Yes it did become the Cock N Bull, boy that brings back memories. Didn't Tommy Balmer used to do a disco there?
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 13:36   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
Yes it did become the Cock N Bull, boy that brings back memories. Didn't Tommy Balmer used to do a disco there?
yep, both him n his brother were djs, brian now sings on the club circuit, saw him a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:41   #45
Resting In Peace

joe Mcguiness is now on the clubs doing stand up comedy
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..