Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2010, 19:58   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Old House At Home Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
During the early 60's I did a short spell for Ribble buses at Burnley and one job was Burnley-Accrington-Padiham-Accrington-Burnley.
The waiting place in Accrington was on Mebourne street opposite the Old House pub and while I had a brew in the Melba cafe next door my conductor would have quick pint in the Old House.
A few years later when I moved from Todmorden to Accrington I drank a lot in the Old House. I knew it was knocked down to make the town centre by pass but never realized it changed it's name.

Old 28-07-2010, 21:53   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hell gremlin, that brings back some memories, used to take papers fer that shop behind the bus, was Bilsbourghs in those days, then Bibbys took it oer, also got me first passport from building were bus is parked,, n lived just around left hand corner of burnley rd on the short row of houses.
Old 28-07-2010, 22:32   #63
God Member

Someone let you have a passport?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 22:58   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Someone let you have a passport?
yep think they was glad i was sodding off.
Old 29-07-2010, 08:50   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
hell gremlin, that brings back some memories, used to take papers fer that shop behind the bus, was Bilsbourghs in those days, then Bibbys took it oer, also got me first passport from building were bus is parked,, n lived just around left hand corner of burnley rd on the short row of houses.
When I first moved to Accrington I lived on Hood Street and got my papers from the same shop. Do you remember the old foundry burning down? I took a few photos of it, today the H&S would have evacuated the who area but nobody stopped us going right up and talking to the fireman.

Back to the Old House at Home.
I was banned from there by the landlord called Eric. I came outside at closing time and in a bit of a drunken state I urinated down the cellar grate as he was locking it up and I gave him a free hair wash. Happy days.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:02   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
When I first moved to Accrington I lived on Hood Street and got my papers from the same shop. Do you remember the old foundry burning down? I took a few photos of it, today the H&S would have evacuated the who area but nobody stopped us going right up and talking to the fireman.

I was banned from there by the landlord called Eric. I came outside at closing time and in a bit of a drunken state I urinated down the cellar grate as he was locking it up and I gave him a free hair wash. Happy days.
me dad worked at "Whittakers Foundry" until he retired, also remember Wilsons Egg Place on Maudsley St burning down, Hughie was the landlord that banned me, so yer in good company.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:14   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
me dad worked at "Whittakers Foundry" until he retired, also remember Wilsons Egg Place on Maudsley St burning down, Hughie was the landlord that banned me, so yer in good company.
Did you make a point of knowing all the landlords that banned ya cashy, did ya have a little black book like Jack Charlton used to have
Old 29-07-2010, 09:21   #68
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I think I remember hearing about that incident but It was before I started going in the Old House. At the time I went in I can remember Tony Dixon, Alan Hesketh, John Hamer, Jim Prior, Jim Williams, etc. I used to play darts there.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 09:32   #69
Senior Member+

All the above named went in when I did and I also played darts.
I was a mate of Tony Dixon and usually went in with him and Peter Boden, Tony's wife Marlene worked for Peter when I was helping him out after he got banned from driving.
John Purdy was another who used the pub. he lived further up Hood street from me.
Jim Prior was a good joiner if I remember right and he did a bit of work on some floor boards for me which were broken. Twas about 1967-70 when I used the place and can still see the layout of the rooms, one to the left of the front door with a bar and two on the right of the corridor, toilet down the cellar door outside, oops wrong again, out back I meant.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:39   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

still see john pretty frequently, aint been that well fer a while now. was n owd mate of mine used to sup in the vault, lived dowry st same as me, "Pat Snead" sadly croaked oer 10 yrs ago.

Last edited by cashman; 29-07-2010 at 09:41.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 10:44   #71
Resting In Peace

I used to go in around that time Gremlin, I must know you. John Pyrda is doing OK, see him quite regular.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 12:05   #72
Senior Member+

Pictures of the fire between Dowry Street and Burnley road just higher up than Melbourne street. Look how close people got.
Someone else took the photo of me and my wife with our backs to the camera and gave it to me later, I took the rest.

Luckily The New Brewery and the Royal Oak manged to stay open so the brave firemen could have a quick pint afterwards.

I think I have managed to post them OK but if not maybe the admin man could help me.

Old 29-07-2010, 12:11   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
I used to go in around that time Gremlin, I must know you. John Pyrda is doing OK, see him quite regular.
Yes Jeff I saw John in the Accrington market last time I made one of my very rare visits into the town center.

I lived on Hood street when I used the Royal, Brewery, Horse Shoe and Old House.
I had a Triumph Spitfire then a GT6 before I got a Capri and then a 525 BMW, my garage was the lock up attached to the end of Derby street which I sold for a fortune recently to a Jewish guy from Manchester.

I
Old 29-07-2010, 12:16   #74
God Member

Whooooh when was that taken gremlin??

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 14:11   #75
God Member

Quote:

Where did Hughie go after the Old House, was it Adelphi ? His name rings a bell

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..