Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2010, 23:48   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Old House At Home Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats the corner of Water street/Melbourne St, Atarah, the old house at home was other end of the little block on Melbourne St, the gable was on the back alley. think that was the bit after when name changed n it was extended. P.S. if Jeff, Bernard Dawson, or Taggy, sees this, am sure they can verify.

I'm sure you're right Cashy,the pub was further along Melbourne St.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2010, 23:55   #92
Senior Member+

Yes i'm pretty sure your right Cashy..i'm sure Bernard would know for definate..he was always more observent than me!! Lol! I'm sure when the Old House at Home changed hands...and indeed names...it got extended into the next door premises..cant recall what was there before!!...Mind you i've had a few bevvies tonight....so not at me sharpest! Next time i see JOe Mc Guiness i'll ask him!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 23:57   #93
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I'm sure you're right Cashy,the pub was further along Melbourne St.
Ahh....THanks Bernard...you were quicker on the draw...we must have been typing at the same time!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 01-08-2010, 00:41   #94

isnt this the 'corners' ? anyone recall danny being landlord ?

he had a tat on his head
i went often for late drinks and we played murder ball aftertime and it was mental.he paid people free drinks to beat up anyone who wandered in there from rawtenstall ,he hated rawtenstall types for some reason lol
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 00:49   #95

I remember Danny being in there and his wife Theresa. I think it was extended. The main doors were on the other end of Melbourne street but I think the side door came out where that picture is shown. I might be mistaken.
Danny O sulllivan was his name. I think after he had it, Billy Potts from Burnley took it over for a brief spell. He used to have the Concorde pub on Burnley bus station what later became Sidewalk 54 I think. He also had the Coach & Horses in Burnley too. I knew Billy Potts. I once worked for him at the Concorde in Burnley ( I was doing him a favour at the time ) , what an experience that was. I went in the back room collecting glasses and got told off by some prostitute for being on her patch. I only worked behind the bar !
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 00:52   #96

I also remember Mick working on the doors but I can't remember his last name.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:30   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
I also remember Mick working on the doors but I can't remember his last name.
Sue that Would'nt be MIck Sargison by any chance would it??..Used to be a pal of Dave Salmon and Dave Norris??

I'm just wondering now....i think because the camera lens tends to shorten things a bit...The OLd House At Home..was a bit further on....but as i said, it was extended in later years to become the Cock n Bull and then Corners...
If that bit on the end in the photo, didn't become part of the pub...because thats on the corner..surely that would give credence to the name " Corners "??...So i think Sue's hit on it really...the extension to the Old House at Home ...became Corners!!
Does that sound plausible?...****** i'm off to bed now...so hopefully someone will make sense of this tomorrow!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 01-08-2010, 04:04   #98

It was extended and the main doors were where the main entrance to old House at Home was, then when you went in they had the main bar, then a long thin bar next to it running full length of the extension. You came out of the side door where the photo was taken. There was also patio door type things at the back leading out onto a paved area behind the bank. It ended up like two seperate pubs. One at the top end with the main bar where Tommy Balmer did the disco and another long bar then a pool room at the bottom in the extended bit next to it.
The lad on the doors wasn't Mick Sargison but you've got me thinking now because I know that name and also the name Dave Salmon
Old 01-08-2010, 04:19   #99

I remember some names that used to frequent the pub at the time, Ste Whelan ( now deceased ) Rob Johnstone ( now deceased ) Hughie Johnstone , John Fitzharris, Andrea Davenport, Simon Ball and Debbie Ball and if you hang on while my lager clears I may remember some more .
Old 01-08-2010, 06:54   #100
God Member

The landlord and landlady who I helped out were called David & Sharon, I think it was about 78/79 ( I was only a nipper )
Old 01-08-2010, 08:51   #101
Super Moderator

Seem to remember when I used to drop in occasionally in the mid-70's, it was a hotbed of Burnley fans. Names that spring to mind are Billy, tall moustachioed bloke, Les, a little guy and a pretty tough girl with long dark hair called Jean.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:54   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
He must have desperate for trade.
Knew a good customer Tealeaf
Old 01-08-2010, 09:00   #103
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Seem to remember when I used to drop in occasionally in the mid-70's, it was a hotbed of Burnley fans. Names that spring to mind are Billy, tall moustachioed bloke, Les, a little guy and a pretty tough girl with long dark hair called Jean.
Yes it was. Only name that springs to mind for me was somebody called Gordon who seemed to arrange a lot of the away travel those days
Old 01-08-2010, 09:02   #104
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
I remember Danny being in there and his wife Theresa. I think it was extended. The main doors were on the other end of Melbourne street but I think the side door came out where that picture is shown. I might be mistaken.
Danny O sulllivan was his name. I think after he had it, Billy Potts from Burnley took it over for a brief spell. He used to have the Concorde pub on Burnley bus station what later became Sidewalk 54 I think. He also had the Coach & Horses in Burnley too. I knew Billy Potts. I once worked for him at the Concorde in Burnley ( I was doing him a favour at the time ) , what an experience that was. I went in the back room collecting glasses and got told off by some prostitute for being on her patch. I only worked behind the bar !
Concord in Burnley, now that was a place and half (bet dave will back me up on that) Played pool there a couple of times in the 70s, of all the pubs in Burnley that was by far the least memorable
Old 01-08-2010, 09:04   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Sue that Would'nt be MIck Sargison by any chance would it??..Used to be a pal of Dave Salmon and Dave Norris??

I'm just wondering now....i think because the camera lens tends to shorten things a bit...The OLd House At Home..was a bit further on....but as i said, it was extended in later years to become the Cock n Bull and then Corners...
If that bit on the end in the photo, didn't become part of the pub...because thats on the corner..surely that would give credence to the name " Corners "??...So i think Sue's hit on it really...the extension to the Old House at Home ...became Corners!!
Does that sound plausible?...****** i'm off to bed now...so hopefully someone will make sense of this tomorrow!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Were it not George Norris Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..