Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 17:04   #46
I am Banned

Re: Oldest Part Of Accrington!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Ha ha that might be better on another thread at the moment - if it really is Morecambe Bay...

mmm...... Susie, I was in a quandary where to shove it !!
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2013, 17:13   #47
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
mmm...... Susie, I was in a quandary where to shove it !!
Don't tempt me... sorry I'm being predictable!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:26   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Don't tempt me... sorry I'm being predictable!
You predictable Susie!!!never
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 23:56   #49
I am Banned

Exclamation Re: Oldest Part Of Accrington!

From my various readings I believe that Accrington is considered to have been a deserted mediaeval village. So the oldest part of the town would be where that village was sited and that is probably buried now. Accrington then got going again as a creation of the industrial revolution. I would give my vote to either the area around the parish church, near the library (which I hope still exists) or the area near where the old VAT office was (now the misnamed 'Jobcentre').
Tesco Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 14:07   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler View Post
From my various readings I believe that Accrington is considered to have been a deserted mediaeval village. So the oldest part of the town would be where that village was sited and that is probably buried now. Accrington then got going again as a creation of the industrial revolution. I would give my vote to either the area around the parish church, near the library (which I hope still exists) or the area near where the old VAT office was (now the misnamed 'Jobcentre').
The name Akerintun was first recorded back in the early 1100's, there were two small settlements, one down near Bull Bridge on Allom Lane, on what is now Hyndburn Rd, the other was arround the Black Abbey St area. Those two settlements developed into Old & New Accrington. By 1660 the total tax payers or both villages was approx 579, New Accrington having the largerst population.
I suugest you expand the scope of your reading, and spend some time at the Public Record Office at Kew, then you will probably know what your talking about.
Barrie Yates and maxthecollie like this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-03-2013 at 14:11.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..