Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 14:21   #1
Junior Member+

Paintings by a "Miss A. Peel"

Hello everyone. I've just joined the forum while doing some research on some paintings I've been given my by grandmother. When she was born her father worked for the Peels of Knowlmere and Heaning. She, in fact, was born at Heaning. Some time after my great-grandfather ceased working for the Peels, and as my grandmother was preparing to go off to art school, someone gave to him a collection of watercolours which had been done by a "Miss A. Peel". She never signed her full name on them, although they are nearly all signed and dated. They were done between 1862 and 1897 or so. A great many of them seem to have been sent of to a tutor and his comments are written on the back. There are about 120 of these paintings in total. I'd love to be able to find out more about the artist. I've found that Jonathan Peel was living at Knowlmere with his three daughters; Edith, Mary Ann, and Julia Maude, but have not been able to find out who this "Miss A. Peel" was.

Thanks in advance,

Hugo Heriz-Smith
hugohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2010, 16:33   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Paintings by a "Miss A. Peel"

BBC - Be on a show - Antiques Roadshow

Good Luck.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 18:57   #3

Alice Peel was the 2nd Daughter of Jonathan & Mary Peel. She was born in 1840 and lived until 1929.
Maybe an obit in the local paper may give you some information
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 19:06   #4
Junior Member+

Wow, that was very quick! I had suspected she was their daughter, but my little research so far had only turned up who I suspect were here sisters - Edith, Mary Ann and Julia Maude. I am correct in thinking they were her sisters? Her dying in 1929 makes sense as it was shortly after that when the paintings were given to my great-grandfather. Thank you for the tip on the obit - now I just need to find one.
Old 11-07-2010, 19:51   #5
Senior Member+

I will try and see what I can turn up in our local library tomorrow (Mon). Am quite intrigued with your story.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 20:00   #6

Atarah
She died in the July/Aug/Sep quarter of 1929 but the death was registered in Lunesdale and although she never lived in Accrington it may be mentioned in our local paper due to the history of the family.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 21:20   #7
Junior Member+

Upon doing a little further research, it looks as if Alice Peel died on 31 August, 1929. Any further information on her be great. I have posted one of the paintings here if you'd like to see: A new project! — Hugo Heriz-Smith
Old 12-07-2010, 12:07   #8
Junior Member+

Thank you Atarah - I'm very interested to hear what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I will try and see what I can turn up in our local library tomorrow (Mon). Am quite intrigued with your story.

Atarah
Old 12-07-2010, 19:38   #9
Junior Member+

I thought, in order to show you some Miss A. Peel's work, I'd post the front and back of one of her paintings. This painting is titled, "Glorious Summer" and is dated August, 1877. The comment from her tutor reads,

"Now there is a great deal of good in this sketch. The colours are very good in the in the distance which is in all respects the best part of the drawing[. A]s we get to the foreground then the work of colour becomes weak in comparison and that is just the part which requires the most care and finish. For instance the rocks int he foreground should and would stand out sharp and distinctly from everything else, no matter what their colour might be; here they do not for want of sharp edges. The small bit of rock right in front in the centre of the drawing melts in with the water which could not be: it looks no more solid that the water. Had it stodd out distinct from the water it would have come in front of everything as it should do, and it would have given transparency to the water which is rather too much of the [illegible] color."

Old 12-07-2010, 19:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugohs View Post
I thought, in order to show you some Miss A. Peel's work, I'd post the front and back of one of her paintings. This painting is titled, "Glorious Summer" and is dated August, 1877. The comment from her tutor reads,

"Now there is a great deal of good in this sketch. The colours are very good in the in the distance which is in all respects the best part of the drawing[. A]s we get to the foreground then the work of colour becomes weak in comparison and that is just the part which requires the most care and finish. For instance the rocks int he foreground should and would stand out sharp and distinctly from everything else, no matter what their colour might be; here they do not for want of sharp edges. The small bit of rock right in front in the centre of the drawing melts in with the water which could not be: it looks no more solid that the water. Had it stodd out distinct from the water it would have come in front of everything as it should do, and it would have given transparency to the water which is rather too much of the [illegible] color."

I think this is beautiful, what harsh criticism, she must have been looking beyond the boulders to the fells. Art is only a perception of the person observing, I think she was in love.....
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 21:19   #11
Junior Member+

Oh, I think you're right. You should see the paintings she did of your area. What a wonderful way of putting it!
Old 07-10-2011, 19:49   #12

Hello Hugohs
I came across your post whilst researching a house my daughter will be moving into next year, and was fascinated to learn that Alice Peel was a painter.
I usually research families and thought it would be interesting to look into the history of a house.
At the turn of the 20th century Alice was joint owner of the house in Wyresdale with her sister Mary Ann, neither of whom married.
Alice also seems to have been a photographer and writer, although I have not looked far into that side yet. Great paintings - and so many of them!
Kind regards
Paula
greenpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 20:23   #13
Senior Member+

I think I have a book bearing her signature. The family still live at Knowlmere at least part of the year. If yo9u want to find them,put out an A -ppeal.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 20:40   #14
Senior Member+

Miss Alice Peel did die in 1929 at Crowtrees, Melling, nr Hornby, in Lunesdale. She was in her 90th year. She was one of the 5 daughters of Mr Jonathan Peel of Accrington and Knowlsmere.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clitheroe, heaning, knowlmere, peel

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..