Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 08:54   #1
God Member

Park Road, Accrington

Hi all, just wondered if anyone knows anything about the history of the land at the bottom of Park Road (opposite the entrance to the school) and whether it had any connections to Elmfield Hall when it was a military hospital in the first world war?
The reason I'm asking is that the place I work is now situated on that land & a few of us are curious as to what was built here or what the land was used for way back when.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-10-2011, 13:06   #2

Re: Park Road, Accrington

Do you mean the land across Hyndburn road facing Hyndburn Park school (on Bowker BMW side), or the land on the same side as the school behind the LIDL?
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 13:08   #3
Senior Member+

Park Road, Accrington

Are you in that "glass" building along Hyndburn Road, the site of an old mill I believe. The area was once known as Hag(g) Road for starters
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 13:19   #4
Senior Member+

Hyndburn Road, Accrington

I took this photo one murky morning, on my way to work, quite a few years back, so not the best of photos, but gives you an idea of the size of the mill which was once next to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hyndburn road 2007.jpg (345.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 11-10-2011, 13:24   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
Do you mean the land across Hyndburn road facing Hyndburn Park school (on Bowker BMW side), or the land on the same side as the school behind the LIDL?
Sorry, we are on the same side of Hyndburn Rd as the school (facing their side entrance) so yes, we are sort of behind Lidl
Old 11-10-2011, 13:27   #6
God Member

Re: Hyndburn Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I took this photo one murky morning, on my way to work, quite a few years back, so not the best of photos, but gives you an idea of the size of the mill which was once next to you.
Hi, no we are not in the glass building, we're on the opposite side right at the bottom of Park Road but I remember that mill being demolished - it had looked dangerous for quite a while before they got round to it
Old 11-10-2011, 13:28   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

can only remember it being waste land before those buildings accymad, though someone wi a better memory may know, wasn't my area of town when young, so someone raised around yon,should know better n me,
Old 11-10-2011, 18:27   #8

The 1909 map shows it as empty land.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 19:19   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyLes View Post
The 1909 map shows it as empty land.
Cheers Tubbyless, i can never remember owt being yon.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:23   #10
God Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, it was around the time of the first world war we were interested in finding out about as a few of our staff have reported feeling a 'presence' when they have been on a sleepover shift & one or two have been convinced they have seen what they describe as a person in military attire & also someone in an old fashioned nurses uniform, this was before we knew that Elmfield Hall had once been used as a military hospital. May go & have a look in the library & see if they have any more information although it's looking like it was wasteland for quite a few years before our home was built on it - who knows, maybe one of the nurses & a soldier did a bit of courting over here?
Old 12-10-2011, 13:11   #11
Senior Member+

Hi, I still cant figure out where you are???? Are you near that lovely stone built unusual house with lots of chimneys? If so, that was one of the two gate houses for Hyndburn House, the fabulous mansion in that area. Also, IF you are in that area, there used to be a "walkway" from that area of town to Blackburn Road, known as either GLOVERS WALK or LOVERS WALK (think the Glover could be correct as I am sure there is a terrace on Blackburn Road called Glovers Terrace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg april 2009.jpg (530.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 12-10-2011 at 13:17.
Old 12-10-2011, 13:22   #12
Senior Member+

I too am in doubt as to where we are talking about. The nursing home is built on Nelson Square I know of no direct connection with Elmfield Hall or Gattty Park, just across the river. I think the empty land being talked about, opposite the school MIGHHT
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 13:46   #13
Senior Member+

I too am confused. The nursing home, facing Emma St, is built on what was Nelson Square. The empty land being discussed .,opposite the school, MIGHT be owned by the Corporatuion who built the school a century ago.

I have never heard of the ginnel being called Glovers Walk. It was known as Lovers' Walk and ran between very high walls from the back of ther Lodge House to a point, close by the nursing home, where the river emerged from a tunnel.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 13:52   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, I still cant figure out where you are???? Are you near that lovely stone built unusual house with lots of chimneys? If so, that was one of the two gate houses for Hyndburn House, the fabulous mansion in that area. Also, IF you are in that area, there used to be a "walkway" from that area of town to Blackburn Road, known as either GLOVERS WALK or LOVERS WALK (think the Glover could be correct as I am sure there is a terrace on Blackburn Road called Glovers Terrace.
Hi, yes from the back windows of our home, we overlook that house
Old 12-10-2011, 14:52   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Dunno how yer are confused? the front of those houses are on Park Rd,facing the school,which were built on land that was waste since before W.W.1. according to the map Tubbyless checked out.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..