Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2010, 16:57   #16

Re: Peel Park celebrates 100 years this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Went to this today ... was absolutely terrific ... what a good show Peel Park put on.

Picked up one or two class 'photos of mine I didn't have. Spent ages chatting to the very few people I knew. 'Course went over years up to 2000 so not all aimed at my era. Wished I could have stayed a little longer to look through the log books/registers etc .. nearly got thrown out.

Balbus... where were you !?! Had a query on the name of a pupil in our year which you may have been able to answer.

Could go on and on, but would probably bore other people into rigamortis.

Haha ... somebody reminded me of the crack that ran the whole length of the Junior school hall, and when you had been naughty .. had to stand on it for a while for all to see.

Merit badge to Peel Park ...
I was there. It was impressive. The old building has survived well. Didn't recognise many people though. Perhaps the building has survived better than we have. I went over to the Peel Park Hotel afterwards to arrange an informal get together for the day of the centenary - Tuesday August 24th - 18.30 onwards. Perhaps see you there. People have been asked to bring any mementoes.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2010, 20:51   #17
God Member

I think I'm right in saying that along with Hyndburn Park, this school was built as a result of the 1902 Education Act. I wonder just how many recently built schools and extensions to schools built under PFI/Government Academies will be around in 100 years time?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 20:59   #18
Senior Member+

This is one of the boards from the school - my grandad is the second name down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July 10th 2010 Peel Park OPen Daya.jpg (397.4 KB, 68 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 21:14   #19
God Member

I wonder what the scholarship deal led to...there was no 11+ until 1944.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 15:30   #20

Informal get-together Peel Park Hotel -Tuesday August 24th - 6.30 p.m. onwards. 100 years to the day that the school opened. Anyone welcome - please bring any mementoes (photos, reports etc).
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 07:14   #21
Senior Member+

Well - how did it go? Any photos?
Old 29-08-2010, 10:09   #22
Senior Member+

I think I am correct in saying that 'passing your scholarship' in the early days meant that you would be paid for to attend. The local Co-op Society put a lot of money into this. I think that the first name on the board was Robert Rush who went to the Grammar School then Manchester University. He became a pharmacist, working for Mr Brownbill ( we schoolboys called him Bluebeak) in Avenue Parade. He became a national authority on public transport and died a couple of years ago. The Co-op was one of the prime movers in Accrington getting a Grammar School.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 11:40   #23
Senior Member+

Hi Bob, sorry, Mr Rush didnt have his name put on a board until 1924. First name is Thomas Alty, but the second name is certainly my grandad Joseph Hindle (a relative of yours too!) - see item no. 18 on this thread.

Last edited by Atarah; 29-08-2010 at 11:49.
Old 01-11-2011, 16:58   #24

Can I add my two penneth to this thread please - my first post on here, by the way.
I went to Peel Park from 1950 to 1955 (before our family moved to St Annes) and remember it fondly. Yes I remember the line too!! I have an autograph book which was signed my Mr Wade, Mr Gleave, Miss Shaw, Mr Barber and others when I left - I think Miss Butterworth was my first teacher.
I remember playing football at dinnertime with the Stanley players.I remember too our class being taken on a nature walk with Mr Hinchliffe up the Coppice. I'm sorry I missed the anniversary & would have gone had I known.
I lived on Laneside and was sorry to leave Accrington. I remember catching the bus for St Annes from the Load of Mischief when I was 9 and fighting back the tears. I live in West Lancs now, but come to Accy now & then for old times sake.
That's a great photo Atarah.
haywoodroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 23:39   #25
Senior Member+

Summat up here. Haywoodroad says it is his first post, but the number 2 appears alongside his name. Bloody inflation!!!! Living in Haywood Road, most of your mates would have gone to St John's
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:10   #26
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodroad View Post
Can I add my two penneth to this thread please - my first post on here, by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Summat up here. Haywoodroad says it is his first post, but the number 2 appears alongside his name. Bloody inflation!!!
Think he means this specific thread Bob.
Old 08-11-2011, 20:21   #27

Good spot Bob! I have posted twice previously but on the Accrington Stanley sub forum, not on here and even then it was a few years ago. It was seeing the Peel Park memories that prompted me to post here. My memories are vague as I was only 9 when I left but I still go and watch Stanley occasionally as I used to when Walter Galbraith was Manager and George Stewart was centre forward. A long time ago!!
haywoodroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 03:02   #28

Good memory - I can remember those teachers now. The good bad and ugly, I left 72.
Only school where the pupils leaving could go on to private school, grammar/comp or Borstal !! And we know who they were !!!
Mikexxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 19:47   #29

This is a bit late for the 100 year celebration, but I thought someone in this thread might like to see a Peel Park class photo from around 1964-65. Headmaster Mr. Hinchcliff is standing on the left, teacher Mr. Heaton on the right. I am on the first row, third from the left. The only two friends I remember are Rachel Wolstenholme, front row, last girl on the right; and Mary Harding second row from the back, third girl from the left. Oh wait.... maybe that's Sharon Robinson third from the right, second last row.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Class of 65.jpg (176.8 KB, 82 views)
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 20:08   #30
Beacon of light

John Heaton was my form master in my last year at Peel Park School.
Turtle likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..