Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014, 22:55   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Peel Park celebrates 100 years this year

Brilliant photo Turtle. Could I print it off and put a copy in the Museum in the Arndale. We have started a book of old school photos.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2014, 06:36   #32

Question Re: Peel Park celebrates 100 years this year

That would be great, Atarah! Is the resolution ok for you? I could email you a higher res version if you like. Maybe we should leave the girls names I mentioned off it? I leave that up to you
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:27   #33
Senior Member+

Hi Turtle, just printed it off. It looks fine. Thanks for saying yes!
Turtle likes this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:56   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
This is a bit late for the 100 year celebration, but I thought someone in this thread might like to see a Peel Park class photo from around 1964-65. Headmaster Mr. Hinchcliff is standing on the left, teacher Mr. Heaton on the right. I am on the first row, third from the left. The only two friends I remember are Rachel Wolstenholme, front row, last girl on the right; and Mary Harding second row from the back, third girl from the left. Oh wait.... maybe that's Sharon Robinson third from the right, second last row.
This was pointed out to me this morning. Had to take a look. I remember you Turtle! I was bereft when you went to Canada. I missed my friend very much.
tizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 13:00   #35
Beacon of light

Tizzy - how good that you have found your friend again.
Now you will be able to catch up on each other......Accyweb rides again!
Turtle likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 13:15   #36

Tizzy, I've sent you a private message - lovely to hear from you!

Thank you, Margaret, yes, Accy Web is amazing
Old 03-03-2014, 13:17   #37
Beacon of light

I keep looking at the picture of the peel parkers and can't get over why you were not in uniform.
I left in 59...and we had to be in uniform back then...even down to bottle green knickers!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:05   #38

I've got a class photo from All Saints from the mid sixties and we weren't in uniform. I can't scan stuff at the moment so can't put it on here but I was wondering when uniform became the required dress in primary schools. From what you are saying Margaret there may have been a period around then when standards were allowed to slip.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:13   #39
Beacon of light

I cannot comment on All Saints policy of uniform during the late fifties...but Eric in Canada might be able to enlighten us there.
My own daughter went to all Saint in the 70's and she did not wear uniform.
However back to Peel Park. I can remember wanting to go on a school trip and not having a green beret with the distinctive green and gold badge on it....I was told that if I wanted to go my parents would have to buy one.......so they did...and it ended its life after one wearing, in the River Dee at Chester! I could be wrong, but I thought that back then the uniform was compulsory.

I can also remember Mr Hinchcliffe telling us that while we were in uniform we were carrying the good name of the school and to behave in a manner which would not let the school down .
I remember the green gymslip with the yellow silky belt with tassels, my green and gold tie. Some teachers would inspect your shoes at the start of the day to make sure they had been polished
We all looked very smart.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:46   #40

I do remember wearing a bottle green raincoat at Peel Park, but no other uniform items. Memories are coming back now... We went on a wonderful trip to London - the first big school trip I'd taken, other than Chester Zoo. It must have been 1964, and we saw the Tower of London, the Crown Jewels etc. A big thing for me was standing outside Buckingham palace and seeing lots of screaming teenagers, and four shadowy figures behind the gate. The Beatles were there!
Old 04-03-2014, 14:39   #41

John Heaton used to play football for Accrington rangers---anybody remember them. Also ? Davenport used to play--he emigrated to Australia
lol1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 19:39   #42

Searching through some old files (very old!) I came across an old exercise book from my days at Peel Park School (1965-66). We used ink pens in those days, poured into a well on our desks. Neatness counted in our marks, and these books had to be handed in regularly for marking. Does anyone remember these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exercise book front.jpg (284.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Exercise book back.jpg (294.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-03-2014, 19:43   #43
Beacon of light

Yes, I remember the exercise books, but ours had times tables on the back......and things like weights and measures. 22yds make one chain(is one that sticks in my brain).
Turtle likes this.
Old 13-03-2014, 00:00   #44

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Searching through some old files (very old!) I came across an old exercise book from my days at Peel Park School (1965-66). We used ink pens in those days, poured into a well on our desks. Neatness counted in our marks, and these books had to be handed in regularly for marking. Does anyone remember these?
Oh joy....thanks for making me feel really really old..I remember those exercise books and the ten words we wrote in the spelling one on monday that we had to learn for the friday morning test.
Turtle likes this.
Old 13-03-2014, 09:59   #45
Beacon of light

Were your spelling test words written on the blackboard all week and rubbed off On Friday morning?
That is how ours were done(as well as having to write them in our book on a Monday morning) I am sure many of those spelling were absorbed during the week of seeing them every day in the calssroom.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..