Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2013, 13:47   #16
I am Banned

Re: Photos of Clayton in times gone by

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Thanks for posting this -might actually be able to make it -who knows!
A convocation of Accy Webbers in Clayton le Moors?
Try saying that with a mouthful of pork scratchings

There's a bit in this weeks Observer highlighting the lack of funding to put Clayton's heritage on line being shelved due to lack of funding, so I am not holding out much hope these pictures will get onto the www soon. Unless some computer geeky person volunteers to do it for free.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2013, 14:21   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
A convocation of Accy Webbers in Clayton le Moors?
Try saying that with a mouthful of pork scratchings

There's a bit in this weeks Observer highlighting the lack of funding to put Clayton's heritage on line being shelved due to lack of funding, so I am not holding out much hope these pictures will get onto the www soon. Unless some computer geeky person volunteers to do it for free.
How much can that cost D, there`s lots of free web space out there, you might already have some yourself depending who you get your internet through. Virgin Media give you 200MB of webspace if you get internet from them.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MER_TYPE=Cable
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 15:37   #18

1 - 7pm , Which will give me approx 30mins to view them ...... shame
Old 16-08-2013, 05:45   #19
Senior Member+

I have been in touch with a couple of people who might be interested in turning them into a book.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 06:40   #20
Senior Member+

I attended and spent a very pleasant hour walking down old streets looking at folk and old buildings. The exhibition was arranged by some enthusiasts who have come into possession of a collection of photos belonging to a man who left them ( or they've been given ) to the hall in Mercer Park. A man from the hall, Neil , is considering how best to preserve and display/publish them. The event was very well attended.
Judith Addison and smobile like this.
Old 20-08-2013, 07:01   #21

Would love to see this collection either on permanent display somewhere or in book form.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 07:22   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I attended and spent a very pleasant hour walking down old streets looking at folk and old buildings. The event was very well attended.
As did I Bob Within the collection and new to me were the photos of "Barge Picnics" Fully laden with people in their finery off along the canal to a rented feild for their picnic. As the note said before the advent of the charabang or the railways for mass transport,
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 18:22   #23

went yesterday afternoon very good the photos belonged to jack thornton barber in c-l-m for many years
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 00:55   #24

The late Mr. & Mrs. Thornton were members of Clayton Civic Society. One of their daughters told me that they never threw anything away! I think she's donated some old books and photos to Mercer House/Clayton Civic Society.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 06:15   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
The late Mr. & Mrs. Thornton were members of Clayton Civic Society. One of their daughters told me that they never threw anything away! I think she's donated some old books and photos to Mercer House/Clayton Civic Society.

These are the ones which were on show. Judith. I'm surprised that you haven't got an Ossie one cracking. Let me know if you do.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..