Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Observer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2014, 07:28   #1

Pickups of Spring Hill House

hello - this is my first contact with your forum and I hope someone can help.

I am doing a friends family tree and several members of her family seem to have worked for firstly, William Pickup Pickup (1834-1872) and possibly for his widow and later, son George William Pickup (1862-1910).

Trying to find out how long the Pickups owned Springhill and the surrounding estate. I am guessing that my friends family were still linked to the estate in 1911 when, I am assuming, George's widow Elizabeth Pickup would have inherited some, or all of it.

Can anyone point me to some reference material about the history of the house - all google refs are more recent when it was a restaurant and care home.
Thanks
Rozalia
rossendalerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2014, 10:29   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Pickups of Spring Hill House

I am sure there is stuff to be found in Accrington Library - books such as An Accrington Chronology & Men of Mark / Accrington Captains of Industry spring to mind. The family had a pub and a street named after them. They owned land. Lancashire Archives will have stuff too. Newspaper cuttings in the library.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 18:37   #3

Thanks . Am at The Straits tomorrow doing some other look ups so will go to library as well.
rossendalerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 14:25   #4
Junior Member+

William Pickup's widow, Nancy, married James Shaw in 1875 and she and her son, George, went to live with James in Liverpool. James Shaw was a Superintendent for the London and North Western Railway. James Shaw was based at Accrington railway station in the 1850s and 60s. He was an uncle to Samuel Crossley, station master at Accrington and later Bolton stations and also uncle to Richard S Crossley, editor and proprietor of the "Accrington Observer & Times" newspaper. I am just off to visit my own 91-year-old uncle who is a resident in Springhill House.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 10:44   #5
I am Banned

Just stumbled on this post.
I have an extract somewhere from Lancashire Life entitled "Is your name Pickup" which makes mention of Spring Hill House, will try to find it.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 14:15   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossendalerose View Post
Trying to find out how long the Pickups owned Springhill and the surrounding estate. I am guessing that my friends family were still linked to the estate in 1911 when, I am assuming, George's widow Elizabeth Pickup would have inherited some, or all of it.

Thanks
Rozalia
Found it Rozalia, have emailed you.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..