Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 22:49   #31
I am Banned

Re: Pineapple pub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hope they research well n actually doin so are 2 different things susie, as i'm sure retlaw can attest to.
That I can Cashy, I also spend a lot of time rechecking that I've got things right, to me if its a thou out its a scrapper. I hate errors & try my best to be as accurate as possible.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2012, 11:05   #32
Senior Member+

Naa then Retlaw. I DO look at old newspapers etc., and I have to question the location of the Pineapple - in an 1898 newspaper article on the "Re-assessment of licensed houses", it states the address was - 31 Birtwhistle Street, so...........who knows for sure?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Naa then Retlaw. I DO look at old newspapers etc., and I have to question the location of the Pineapple - in an 1898 newspaper article on the "Re-assessment of licensed houses", it states the address was - 31 Birtwhistle Street, so...........who knows for sure?
No bodies questioning that, I know you look at loads of stuff in the library, I also found the Pineapple in Elephant St, the Colliers at 31 Birtwistle St.
The Colliers at 34 Bank St, and the Colliers at Bedlam, so pubs and ale houses did change their names in those days, especially if the landlord lost his licience, and some one else took over.
It's just that some people seem to think all my research should be handed over to them.
I do it because I want too. Just as you do, curiosity.
Some are too bone idle to do their own research, and think every thing should be made available just for them. They get up my nose, especially when they start to question things, just because I won't make it available to them.

Rant over.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-02-2012 at 12:47.
Old 03-09-2012, 19:10   #34
I am Banned

Spoken to Pam Waring (Marsden as was) who lived in the shop on the corner of Plantation Street and Elephant Street. She tells me the pub was the "Come and Welcome" and remembers across the street judging by the frontage there may well have been another pub. Methinks this is the missing Pineapple?
She also confirms the Colliers was on Plantation Street.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 21:53   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Spoken to Pam Waring (Marsden as was) who lived in the shop on the corner of Plantation Street and Elephant Street. She tells me the pub was the "Come and Welcome" and remembers across the street judging by the frontage there may well have been another pub. Methinks this is the missing Pineapple?
She also confirms the Colliers was on Plantation Street.
There is no pub missing, I suggest you read some of the previous posts, but just in case you haven't here is the list again.

In the block staring at Adelaide St, to Plantation St, from Abbey St, to Cobham Rd.
There were the 12 places to get plastered.
Swan Inn Abbey St.
Kings Arms Lee St.
Gardeners Arms Chapel St.
Oak Tree Inn Abbey St.
Red Lion Abbey St.
Peels Arms Birtwistle St.
Pine Apple Elephant St.
Prince of Wales Higher Pitt St.
Royal Oak Plantation St.
St Ledger Plantation St.
Weavers Arms Abbey St.
Welcome Inn Elephant St.
Two church's, Wesley & New Jerusalem, more supped than prayed.
That pub never had a sign which read Come & Welcome, when those pubs were selling stagger juice, I lived for over 20 years round the other corner in Hargreaves St.

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-09-2012 at 22:01.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44   #36
I am Banned

OK I'll revise my post to read "Methinks this is the Pineapple"
And with just a sprinkle of pedant dust..is it Pine Apple or t'other"

Pam says it was known as the "Come and Welcome" as you say pub names change overtime and there may well have never been a sign specifically to that effect and in the records of course I see it always referred to as the Welcome.
What about the Colliers on Plantation Street missing off the list you so kindly sent me?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The Colliers was not on Plantation St mate, twas a Lion House on Birtwistle St, n round the corner on Elephant St was another Lion House The Welcome Inn, both of those were watering holes of mine. That would be early 60s. The other pub on Elephant St was gone then.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46   #38
I am Banned

Thanks cashman..was it the St Ledger then on Plantation Street? Thwaites ales as I recall.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Thanks cashman..was it the St Ledger then on Plantation Street? Thwaites ales as I recall.
Yep to both, another of me haunts.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34   #40
I am Banned

Cheers cashman.
Found this on the www London Gazette.... "Isaac Dixon, formerly of Bank-street, Accrington, in the
county of Lancaster, then of BricUcliffe-row, Whal'eyroad,
Accrington aforesaid, Journeyman Joiner, and late
of the St. Ledger, Plantation-street, Accrington aforesaid,
Licensed Victualler and Journeyman Joiner.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu.../1659/page.pdf

Entry for John Mayes on there also illuminating in respect of posts about the Farriers Arms on Bank Street too.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:03   #41
I am Banned

Quote:
OK I'll revise my post to read "Methinks this is the Pineapple"
And with just a sprinkle of pedant dust..is it Pine Apple or t'other"

Pam says it was known as the "Come and Welcome" as you say pub names change overtime and there may well have never been a sign specifically to that effect and in the records of course I see it always referred to as the Welcome.
What about the Colliers on Plantation Street missing off the list you so kindly sent me?
The Colliers was at on time No. 31 Birtwistle St.
Old 30-09-2012, 19:54   #42

The Colliers Arms pub was in Birtwistle St not Plantation Street I can remember Ruby who was the landlady when I was a little girl
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 19:59   #43

The St Ledger pub was in plantation Street Elephant street and Law street were two of the Streets which were demolished to make way for the flats that were built that are now called Ledger Court.
Old 30-09-2012, 20:02   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Can't remember the Colliers landlady, But remember Eileen at the Welcome very well, funnily enough she took the Pineapple in Blackburn when she left. seem to think her husband died when he fell down the cellar, which was directly under the bar.
Old 01-10-2012, 13:28   #45

I can remember the pub on elephant street don't recall landlord or landlady tho.I was born in Midland Street at the bottom right hand side that side of the St was demolished to make way for the flats called Ledger Court in fact Higher Pitt St Wesley St Chapel St Elephant St and Law St were all demolished to make way for the flats.Wonder if anyone remembers my uncle Jack ? he and my Aunt Emma had an hardware shop it was situated on Plantation St in between Colliers back and the bottom of Law St.My lovely Aunt Emma was killed crossing the road at the bottom of Plantation St she was going to Thorntons Chemist which was situated across the road next to Fosters paper shop.My uncle was called Jack Briggs he was my mums older brother he never got over Emma's death and sadly passed away soon after her they had no children it was a sad time for my mum and her siblings.Also does anyone remember the row of little cottages at the bottom of Birtwistle St I for one was very sad that they were demolished to make way for the flats an old lady by the name of Bertha Street lived in one of the cottages and she never got over losing her little cottage it was so sad wonder if anyone remembers her.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..