Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 10:15   #1
Resting In Peace

Pineapple pub?

Was talking to my 81 yr old cousin just now and she said one of her grandparents used to run the Pineapple pub in Accy. She would like to know where it was, thinks it might have been in the Abbey Street/Manchester Road area.

Has anyone heard of this pub or does anyone know where it might have been?

Thanks

Sue
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-02-2012, 11:12   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Pineapple pub?

Was a pineapple in Blackburn Susie, seem to recall n accy landlady taking it in 60s, went oer once to see her, but can't remember were it was. was a lion house i think.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:23   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Was talking to my 81 yr old cousin just now and she said one of her grandparents used to run the Pineapple pub in Accy. She would like to know where it was, thinks it might have been in the Abbey Street/Manchester Road area.

Has anyone heard of this pub or does anyone know where it might have been?

Thanks

Sue
The Pine Apple Inn was 4&6 Elephant St, Accrington. Ann Mile was the landlady in 1891.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:27   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The Pine Apple Inn was 4&6 Elephant St, Accrington. Ann Mile was the landlady in 1891.

Retlaw.
What a coincidence,twas Eileen the landlady of the Welcome Inn on Elephant St, took the Pineapple in Blackburn, The Welcome wouldn't be the same Spot as the Accy Pineapple was walter?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:51   #5
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What a coincidence,twas Eileen the landlady of the Welcome Inn on Elephant St, took the Pineapple in Blackburn, The Welcome wouldn't be the same Spot as the Accy Pineapple was walter?
Have been away too long! Please can someone remind me where Elephant street is?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:06   #6
God Member

Google maps wont show you, because it it was pulled down long ago.
I found this in another thread - see post #20
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...-a-2869-2.html

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:42   #7
Resting In Peace

Thank you Walter for the info on the pub and thanks Margaret for pointing me to the Elephant street thread. What a helpful lot you are on Acccyweb!

I knew the name but couldn't place the street but if it was near Plantation St/Birtwistle St I must have walked past it hundreds of times in the 50s on my way to/from Central Prep school in Hargreaves St from the hospital area.

Sadly I couldn't see the pic associated with that thread but am speculating as Cashy did as to whether the Welcome Inn used to be the Pineapple.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:47   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Thank you Walter for the info on the pub and thanks Margaret for pointing me to the Elephant street thread. What a helpful lot you are on Acccyweb!

I knew the name but couldn't place the street but if it was near Plantation St/Birtwistle St I must have walked past it hundreds of times in the 50s on my way to/from Central Prep school in Hargreaves St from the hospital area.

Sadly I couldn't see the pic associated with that thread but am speculating as Cashy did as to whether the Welcome Inn used to be the Pineapple.
If yeh went up Plantation St susie, Elephant St was on the right hand side, It actually ran just 1 block, From Plantation St to Birtwistle St. if they were the same pubs in same place, What a coincidence the landlady goin to the blackburn one.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:52   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
If yeh went up Plantation St susie, Elephant St was on the right hand side, It actually ran just 1 block, From Plantation St to Birtwistle St. if they were the same pubs in same place, What a coincidence the landlady goin to the blackburn one.

I do vaguely remember it being a very short street, which lends support to the idea that there was only one pub, with different names at different times.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:54   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I do vaguely remember it being a very short street, which lends support to the idea that there was only one pub, with different names at different times.
Yeh but on the other thread someone says the welcome was no7, Yet walters info says pineapple was 4-6, which suggests opposite side of street?
Old 08-02-2012, 13:18   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Yeh but on the other thread someone says the welcome was no7, Yet walters info says pineapple was 4-6, which suggests opposite side of street?
That is true Cashy, amazing how many pubs there must have been way back
Old 08-02-2012, 13:29   #12
Resting In Peace

My cousin will be pleased to have located the Pineapple at least.

Her maiden surname was Tattersall and on Rootsweb I found mention of a John Tattersall living in Elephant street, don't know what number, at the 1851 census, not a publican but a calico printer. He was born in 1820 so would be quite a few generations before my cousin who was born in 1930. Will have to research this further.

*JOHN2 TATTERSALL (*JOHN1)1 was born September 18, 1820 in
Accrington, Lancs. England1. He married *ELLEN WELCH January 01, 1845
in St. James Parish, Accrington, Lancs. England, daughter of THOMAS
WELCH. She was born Abt. 1822 in Accrington, Lancs. England1.

Notes for *JOHN TATTERSALL:
Address: Elephant Street, New Accrington, Lanc., England on the 1851
Census, Age given as 30 years old.

More About *JOHN TATTERSALL:
Baptism: November 19, 1820, St. James Parish, Accrington, Lancs. England
Occupation: Calico Printer on 1851 census. Listed as printer prior to
1854, after 1857 listed as labourer.
Residence: Born at New Row, Accrington
Old 08-02-2012, 13:57   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
The Welcome was 7&9 Elephant St, across the street, Thomas Kenyon was the Landlord in 1891

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-02-2012 at 14:00.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 14:05   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The Welcome was 7&9 Elephant St, across the street, Thomas Kenyon was the Landlord in 1891
Thanks for another nugget of information.
Old 08-02-2012, 17:51   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Was a pineapple in Blackburn Susie, seem to recall n accy landlady taking it in 60s, went oer once to see her, but can't remember were it was. was a lion house i think.
Ya cashy used to go in there with my mate who lived round the corner, the pub was on Johnson Street

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..