Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2011, 22:40   #1
Resting in Peace

Plaques in Clayton.

On a walk around Clayton tonight, noticed some plaques I hadn't seen before. Well, maybe have had my head down watching my step.

One is on the Arthur Wilson's centre on Pickup Street which states "Accrington Pals signed up here".

The other I spotted was at the top of Barnes Street "Eric Morecambe lived here".

Sorry, didn't have my camera with me.

Are they new ? Wondered if any more around the borough ?

They are circular in a light stone.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-03-2011, 22:52   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Plaques in Clayton.

good spot kate, doubt if there new, would be sighted up "New Lane"
Old 30-03-2011, 08:08   #3
Beacon of light

Kate there is one at the Hare and Hounds pub, and also one on the wall of All saints church.........I will post a pic of the one at All saints, just so that you can tell us if they are similar.
The one on the wall of All Saints has been there for over a year.....maybe two........there must be someone out there who will tell us.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 08:12   #4
Beacon of light

Plaque Outside All Saints Church Clayton le moors | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is a link to the picture on Flickr.
Old 30-03-2011, 16:03   #5

Is the Arthur Wilson Centre named after the same person as Wilson's Playing fields? I remember an Arthur and Margaret Wilson who were friends of my dad's and lived on Whalley road, think he was town clerk? Where in Pickup Street is it? I moved from Clayton in 1977 and it wasn't there then......
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 17:08   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
good spot kate, doubt if there new, would be sighted up "New Lane"
Tut, tut, Cashy, do you reckon there will eventually be one then 'Peter Britcliffe lived here' ? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclaytonian View Post
Is the Arthur Wilson Centre named after the same person as Wilson's Playing fields? I remember an Arthur and Margaret Wilson who were friends of my dad's and lived on Whalley road, think he was town clerk? Where in Pickup Street is it? I moved from Clayton in 1977 and it wasn't there then......
Yes, both the playing fields and the centre were both named after ex. town clerk Arthur Wilson .. must be the same person you knew.

It is directly across from the library .. can't remember when it was built, but obviously not the same building as the Pals signed up in.. must have been the one previous.

Yes, thank you, Margaret ... they look just like that only circular. Must open my eyes more often. Wonder if there are any more than those mentioned ? Was going to call in the library this afternoon, but think is shut on Wednesday p.m.

Wonder who put them there ? Somebody like the Prospect Foundation do you think ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 17:55   #7

Thanks for that, I remember it as the old library and where we used to get our various jabs (and clinic orange juice) when we had to walk over from the old St Mary's school. I think it was also the council offices before they went to Blackburn Road. I believe it fell down after the library moved across the road. Must have a look next time I visit, last time I'm sure it was a car park for the co-op.

While I am on, does anyone know where I can find a picture of the old Clayton Urban District Coucil crest. I had to visit the new Blackburn Royal a while ago and there are windows in there showing the crests of all the local councils except Clayton.

Last edited by claytonheath; 30-03-2011 at 17:59.
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 17:58   #8
Beacon of light

I had a good look at the one by the church today and could see nothing on it to say who put it up.
To be honest, I thought there might have been more of a response from the folk on the forum...........I know we have some very knowledgeable members....perhaps they haven't seen the thread yet.
Old 30-03-2011, 19:25   #9
I am Banned

While I am on, does anyone know where I can find a picture of the old Clayton Urban District Coucil crest. I had to visit the new Blackburn Royal a while ago and there are windows in there showing the crests of all the local councils except Clayton.[/quote]
Those stained glass panels are from the War Memorial Wing at the old meat factory, the crests are of the local councils who contibuted to the cost of the building, they were removed from the infirmary, and mounted into light boxes along the main corrider in the new meat factory.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 20:29   #10
Senior Member+

I am not all that familiar with Clayton history, but know that Henry Leach Wilson ( he a partner in Taywils and big in the world of washing machines) was a prominent Claytonian and public benefactor. . He died in 1917 aged 75. He could be the man the park is named after.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 13:18   #11
Beacon of light

Plaque on the Wall of the Hare and Hounds | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Another picture of one of the plaques.
Old 31-03-2011, 13:19   #12
Beacon of light

On The Arthur Wilson Centre | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
A third picture for you to peruse.
Old 31-03-2011, 13:21   #13
Beacon of light

I have taken those two photo's today.......if anyone has seen anymore, please let me know and I will seek them out. ThanQ.
Old 31-03-2011, 15:01   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Tut, tut, Cashy, do you reckon there will eventually be one then 'Peter Britcliffe lived here' ? ...
well if such a plaque was required next week, i would pay fer it meself.
Old 26-08-2012, 16:01   #15
Senior Member+

Here are the plaques you are talking about

Record of Clayton-le-Moors | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..