Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveinGermany

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2012, 20:51   #1

Platt Brothers of Oldham

I know I should get a life but I thought you might like this

Souvenir booklet by Platt Brothers of Oldham, showing how the firm of Platt Brothers and Company Ltd. has grown with the industry it serves

Spinning the Web > Overview > Search Results
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2012, 17:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Platt Brothers of Oldham

er, the connection with ACCYWEB being? You have lost me on this one Wadey.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 18:03   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
er, the connection with ACCYWEB being? You have lost me on this one Wadey.
Platts took over Bulloughs.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 21:24   #4
Senior Member+

But IS IT the same Platts?. There's nothing SAYING its connected to Accy.
Old 14-07-2012, 21:43   #5
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Well that booklet dates from 1929. The merger of Howard and Bullough with Platts and other companies dates from the early thirties.

history
Old 14-07-2012, 21:43   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
There's only ever been one Platts Brothers of Oldham, they used to purchase a lot of stuff from Bulloughs, until they decide to tap the supply at its source.
Lang Bridges also made stuff for Platts Bros.
Retlaw
Old 15-07-2012, 08:10   #7
Senior Member+

I think I have learnt enough about Accrington's history to know the connection with H & B's anbd Platts, but my point was, the thread DOESNT say what the connection is! So anyone from out of the area doesnt understand the heading i.e. "Platt Brothers of Oldham"!!!!!!

Last edited by Atarah; 15-07-2012 at 08:13.
Old 15-07-2012, 10:54   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I think I have learnt enough about Accrington's history to know the connection with H & B's anbd Platts, but my point was, the thread DOESNT say what the connection is! So anyone from out of the area doesnt understand the heading i.e. "Platt Brothers of Oldham"!!!!!!
Well you obviously didn't make your point clearly enough. I won't bother trying to be helpful in future.
Old 15-07-2012, 11:44   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Aren't we tetchy today ? I'm from outside the area but being a curious soul I looked at the thread, then the attachment, saw it was about the cotton industry & could work out the inferred link between both regions as both were very dependent on cotton & it's manufacture in their heydays.

But then again I like to think that I'm intelligent enough to think things through & come up with answers for myself & not have to rely on some outside agency or department to do my thinking for me.

Many other threads have begun with outlandish titles that those not in the know couldn't understand, but folk aren't getting worked up over it. Relax a little, believe me you'll feel better for it.
Old 15-07-2012, 12:07   #10
I am Banned

[quote=DaveinGermany;1002899]Aren't we tetchy today ?
No she's not, being tetchy, I've known Atarah near 40 years, she is an avid local historian, and like me, gets a bit fed up wi folk coming on with 1/2 a tale, and the gobsheites who mouth off, about somat they know little about, without thinking it through

Retlaw
Old 15-07-2012, 12:20   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

[quote=Retlaw;1002909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Aren't we tetchy today ?
No she's not, being tetchy, I've known Atarah near 40 years, she is an avid local historian, and like me, gets a bit fed up wi folk coming on with 1/2 a tale, and the gobsheites who mouth off, about somat they know little about, without thinking it through

Retlaw
I can appreciate that & I've read through the stuff you 2 often put up, but he didn't come on declaring his input to be some kind of new revelation or history, just an interesting aside that concerned the cotton industry & no challenge to the in depth knowledge & information supplied often & freely by yourself or Atarah.

I'd of though encouragement would've been better because surely the more that's handed on can only be better for the knowledge & understanding of generations to come.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 15-07-2012, 12:51   #12
Resting In Peace

[quote=DaveinGermany;1002910]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

I can appreciate that & I've read through the stuff you 2 often put up, but he didn't come on declaring his input to be some kind of new revelation or history, just an interesting aside that concerned the cotton industry & no challenge to the in depth knowledge & information supplied often & freely by yourself or Atarah.

I'd of though encouragement would've been better because surely the more that's handed on can only be better for the knowledge & understanding of generations to come.
Quite so, Dave, thanks for voicing my thoughts exactly.
Old 16-07-2012, 13:36   #13

I know some of the members on here worked at Platt's research facility in Helmshore, it has now been demolished and the site cleared for housing

Airtours-Platt Saco Lowell (TMM) "Holmefield House" Holcombe Road, Helmshore, Lancashire | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 04:53   #14

I am doing some research on the Platt Brothers.I would like to know please if they are connected to Plattsburgh N.Y.? Where did they come from?Did they come from the U.S.?Thank you.
Ed Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..