Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nsledden
  • 2 Post By ossy kid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2017, 13:45   #1
Junior Member+

Pollard family accrington

I've been researching a boer war soldier who was 5398 Pte john Richard pollard from Accrington born about 1879 I believe he had a daughter in 1915 who then married and became a Jackson , I would be interested to know if anyone recognises him as family , as I am also related to the pollards

Atb
Nath
nsledden is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-10-2017, 16:17   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Pollard family accrington

A Pollard pal of mine, who is not interested in family history thinks that POSSIBLY his grandfather Jim had 3 brothers Tom and Bob and perhaps John being one of them. Jim was born 1880. No address known. A sken at the 1881 and 1891 and fo0llowing censuses should help.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:26   #3
Senior Member+

Clement St may be worth a search, as this is where my pal's dad was brought up. Maybe his father lived nearby.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 23:00   #4
Senior Member+

Sorry Nath, can't find any info on John Richard after his marriage, or a daughter. I believe he lived in Whitewell Bottom in 1911 with his wife Mary Alice, married in 1906, after that no info. If you have any other info I will give it another shot. I did find his parents with lots of kids in the 1891 census. He was in the East Lancs reg. # 5398.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 13:39   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Sorry Nath, can't find any info on John Richard after his marriage, or a daughter. I believe he lived in Whitewell Bottom in 1911 with his wife Mary Alice, married in 1906, after that no info. If you have any other info I will give it another shot. I did find his parents with lots of kids in the 1891 census. He was in the East Lancs reg. # 5398.
Ossy, yer wasting your time, he's already asked these questons about Pte. 5398 Pollard & Co: on the Great War Forum and got all answers he's going to get. 5398 is a pre WW1 number.

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-10-2017 at 13:41.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 15:28   #6
Senior Member+

Never a waste of time to try and help someone Walter, I wasn't concerned about his army record, more to help with his family tree and as I'm in the Yukon for a week I have more than a little spare time, and, of course, you know I like a challenge.
Old 31-10-2017, 15:44   #7

Also seems to be in 1881 census in Newchurch with Bacup- parents James and Annie
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 21:00   #8
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Ossy, yer wasting your time, he's already asked these questons about Pte. 5398 Pollard & Co: on the Great War Forum and got all answers he's going to get. 5398 is a pre WW1 number.
Your attitude puzzles me Walter , forgive me but am I asking for research help ? I think not and if that is not clear allow me to clear it up I'm trying to establish if any family are on here as i am a sledden my fathers mother was Emily Harriet pollard , so I'm curious weather anyone knows of the pollard family as I have no contact with any , to clarify I have asked questions on the Great War forum to which I have received much appreciated answers but please read what I am asking before loosely commenting
Many thanks
Bob Dobson likes this.
nsledden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:03   #9
Senior Member+

Here are your family Nathaniel, your gt grandparents are Annie Charlotte Rolfe and David Pollard, they married in 1892 at St James Church Kirk. They had nine children,
1- Alice Charlotte born 1898 married Alfred Gamson 1922.
2-Walter Richard born 1896 died July 1917 1st WW # 27139 & 17175
3- Margaret Harriet born 1894 died 1897
4-Herbert born 1892 died 1892
5-David Herbert born 1903 died 1986 married Elsie Jackson 1926 Church Kirk.
6-Ann Evelyn born 1905
7-Emily Harriet born 1907, as you say married William Sledden.
If you would like me to follow this up please say so. Regards. Bryan.
8-Wm. George born 1909 died 1981.
9-Rose Margaret Robina born 1913.
Most of them were born in Oswaldtwistle
cashman and Bob Dobson like this.
Old 08-11-2017, 16:19   #10
Senior Member+

Hi Nath.there is a Graham Pollard and his wife Sheila living in Blackburn, he is the son of your dads uncle William George Pollard. They also have two sons possibly living in Blackburn or Darwen, Stuart Graham and Stephen James Pollard. Good luck.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..