Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2012, 13:55   #1

Private Arthur Cheetham

One for Retlaw!
There's a signed "special" copy of Bill Turner's book together with a letter from Bill for sale on eBay. I can't find any record of Arthur Cheetham on the Pals' website.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2012, 14:05   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Private Arthur Cheetham

It would be easier for others if you posted the link to the actual page on ebay rather than than just the ebay home page.

I have searched for Bill Turner with no luck and have no idea what Private Arthur Cheetham has to do with this - his name returned no results either.
Old 14-06-2012, 14:37   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
One for Retlaw!
There's a signed "special" copy of Bill Turner's book together with a letter from Bill for sale on eBay. I can't find any record of Arthur Cheetham on the Pals' website.
Two reason's why you can't find Arthur Cheetham in Bills Book, & on that Web Site.
1 Arthur Cheetham ws not an original Accrington Pal
2 There are loads of names of original Pals missing from that web site, and several men who never served in the 11th East Lancs.

So far I have the names and details of 1698 original Accrington Pals, many of them were discharged before the list in the Accy Observer Feb 23rd was printed and 100's more who were discharged or transferred before they left for Egypt.
4292 men eventually served in the 11th East Lancs before they were disbanded in October 1919.
By the way Bill signed dozens of copies of his book
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 14-06-2012 at 14:44.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 14:40   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
It would be easier for others if you posted the link to the actual page on ebay rather than than just the ebay home page.

I have searched for Bill Turner with no luck and have no idea what Private Arthur Cheetham has to do with this - his name returned no results either.
Try William Turner Accrington Pals that might work.
Retlaw
Old 14-06-2012, 14:47   #5
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Try William Turner Accrington Pals that might work.
Retlaw
Yep changing the Bill to William did the trick. Still don't know why this thread is called Private Arthur Cheetham.
Old 14-06-2012, 14:57   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Yep changing the Bill to William did the trick. Still don't know why this thread is called Private Arthur Cheetham.
Don't worry about, it Balbus will be back, with more on the subject, after a fruitless search on the internet.
Retlaw
Old 14-06-2012, 15:25   #7

Quote:
Because it's a query about him!
Little info on Google. He was involved in the battle for the village of Ayette on March 27th 1918 when the Pals (2nd Lt Horsfall) won their only VC.
He died in 1989 with a bullet still in his chest from the battle.
Bill Turner interviewed him about the battle, for the Observer, in 1986.
Old 14-06-2012, 16:00   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Because it's a query about him!
Little info on Google. He was involved in the battle for the village of Ayette on March 27th 1918 when the Pals (2nd Lt Horsfall) won their only VC.
He died in 1989 with a bullet still in his chest from the battle.
Bill Turner interviewed him about the battle, for the Observer, in 1986.
I know all that, I have a picture of him on the display at the Haworth Art Gallery but whats the query.
Just one small thing the Accrington Pals were NOT at Ayette, the 11th Battalion East Lancs was.
After July 1st 1916 they were no longer Accrington Pals, less than 100 of the fighting strength of the battalion, walked off the battle field, when they were withdrawn at midnight 4/5th July 1916. The battalion was eventually restored to its full compliment by December 1916

Retlaw
Old 14-06-2012, 16:23   #9

In the Observer article, Bill Turner refers to the Pals being at Ayette. I quoted from his article. He doesn't seem to have drawn the same distinction as you.
You've answered my query - Arthur Cheetham, like 2/Lt Horsfall, was not an original Accrington Pal.

Last edited by Balbus; 14-06-2012 at 16:30. Reason: Addition
Old 14-06-2012, 17:14   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
In the Observer article, Bill Turner refers to the Pals being at Ayette. I quoted from his article. He doesn't seem to have drawn the same distinction as you.
You've answered my query - Arthur Cheetham, like 2/Lt Horsfall, was not an original Accrington Pal.
Bill Turner could not have written a book about the Accrington Pals, for it to cease on July 5th 1916, of course he made the same distinction as I have, we worked together on the men of the 11th East Lancs since his book was first published.
But he was writing a book, so he had to keep refering to them as the Accrington Pals although by Nov 11th 1918 there were less that 50 of the original Pals still serving in the 11th East Lancs.
When the jerries started their big push in March 1918, by the end of April the 11th Battation, had near as many casualties as they did on July 1st 1916.
On mens attestation papers, those who were original Pals, had Accrington Battalion written on them, those who joined later just had East Lancs.
Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..