Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 14:16   #1

Pubs in Oswaldtwistle

I've just come across this walk leaflet listing the public house from Church Commercial to the Black Dog whilst clearing out an old set of drawers. I don't have the date it was drawn up, although I think it is around 1983, judging by the present uses of some of the buildings. I guess not many people will remember ALL of the pubs but a few may know of some. I found it quite fascinating. No pictures though unfortunately.
1. Commercial Hotel, built in 1834
2. Conservative Club, moved to roughly the present site in 1896 when they obtained a lease on the stone building at the rear, which was formerly Mrs Jacksons school (note angle bracket on wall). Pesent building dates from 1927.
3. Greyhound Inn, 45 Market St, Church. Built in the 1850's, with a number of typical victorian features, (note ashlar facade)
4. Rose Bud, 53 Market St, Church. Demolished end of 1960's
5. Musicians Inn, 61 Market St, Church. One of the licensed premises that few can recall. Original building lease 1820 shown on 1848 map, lost it's license between 1906 - 9 remained as a house until at least 1937.
6. Railway Hotel, 63 Market St, Church. A very substantial building erected in the 1850's by a local builder. Closed in the 1970's.
7. Railway Inn, 77 Market St, Church. Original building lease 1852, shown as a beerhouse in 1906, lost it's license prior to WW 1.
8. Royal Arms, 6 Union Rd, Oswaltwistle. This was built just after the turn of the century on the site of the old Thwaites Arms.
9. Fishermans Arms. 7 Union Rd, Oswaldtwistle. On corner of Clayton St, building shown on map of 1848, lost it's license prior to WW 1.
10. The Startled Fox, 17 Union Rd, Oswaldtwistle. A mid 19th Century beerhouse, now Famenco Cafe, lost it's license prior to WW 1.
11. Castle Inn, 23 Union Rd. A substantial three storey building only reduced to it's present state in 1980. (Water shot stone coursing).
12. The Printers Arms, 47 Union Rd. Early 19th century, shown as licensed premises in 1840 rate book. Owned at some by James Simpson, Calico Printers, Foxhill Bank. Story handed down that he paid his workers, when possible, in sovereigns-so that they had to change them in the Printers! Rear is Duncan Square, properties built by the Peel family to house there workers. (Named after Admiral Duncan, a colleague of Nelson's) Later known as The Green when property cleared.
13. Cricketers Arms, 52/54 Union Rd. Site now occupied by Badge Brow Service Station.
14. Carters Arms, 61 Union Rd. Now A second hand shop, note substantial buildings to the rear. Possibly stabling facilities for horses used at Moscow Mill, (or horse drawn tramway that passed down Collier St next to pub?)
15. Skinners Arms, 74 Union Rd, Built 1820's as speculative building by John Barlow, in 1837 shown as a beerhouse, lost it's license in 1905. Now J A Coliiers, Solicitors.
16. Rising Sun, 96/98 Union Rd, Lost it's license in 1903, later converted to shops. Demolished 1970's.
17. Prince of Wales, 97 Union Rd, Original building lease 1846, victim of 1960's clearance scheme, now St Mary's Court.
18. Masons Arms, 110 Union Rd, Formerly a beerhouse, now Wheels garage.
19. Horse Shoe, 111 Union Rd, Built 1851/2, demolished along with Prince of Wales.
20. Foxhill Hotel, 136/138 Union Rd, Built circa 1850.
(No licenced premises ever built between Straits & Tinker & Budget, ??covenants on land to prevent building licensed premises??.
21. Tinker and Budget, 218 Union Rd. Building lease 1820. (Origin of name never explained)
22. Bay Horse, 226 Union Rd. Former posting house.
23. Plane Tree, 236 Union Rd, Beerhouse. Property still standing 1981, now empty shop.
24. Grey Horse, 240/246 Union Rd, Built 1820, lost license 1903, demolished late 1970's.
25. Golden Cross, 251 Union Rd, Public house been on this site from 1780's, Known as Three Crowns in 1848.
26. Rose Bud, 253/254 Union Rd, demolished along with Grey Horse.
27. Old House At Home, 285 Union Rd, Early 19th Century, demolished 1913 to provide site for library.
28. Black Lion, 296 Union Rd, Lost license in 19112. Later became Irish Democratic League, now Royal British Legion.
29. Queens Head, 322/324 Union Rd, now Hothersalls chemist.
30. Miners Arms. 329 Union Rd, Built 1860's beerhouse, now private house.
31. Royal Oak, 334 Union Rd, One of the few licensed premises with date stones incorporated into building (185632. Star Inn, 336 Union Rd, Lost licence in 1903, has had numerous uses since.
32. Rose and Crown, 372 uUnion Rd, Built mid-19th century.
34. Black Dog, 384 Union Rd.Built 1820's

I hope some of you find this interesting,
tinker n budget likes this.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2004, 15:29   #2

Re: Pubs in Oswaldtwistle

I've supped in a few of them, and even had a mate who's dad was the landlord of the Rose Bud!

They use to say that if you started at the Commercial with a thimble-full of beer and doubled it at every pub up to the Balck Dog you would have to give up before you got to the Town Hall. When you look at that list...you know why it was true!!
tinker n budget likes this.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 15:34   #3
Junior Member+

My dad used to tell me that! I didn't believe him either 'til I saw the list.
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 17:46   #4

not sure if its still there but they used to have a pub history list for ossy in the tinker and budget pool room
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 17:55   #5
God Member

One peculiar thing that stands out is the number of pubs that lost their license prior to WW1 / around 1905. Does anyone have any idea why this was the case? Was it possibly competition from the Working Mens Clubs? Or possibly were some of the pubs being built at the time the equivalent of a Witherspoons establisment, thus putting the ale houses out of business?

The list does say "lost" their license; was there a temperance movement revival at the time? Anyone know the answer? I don't.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
One peculiar thing that stands out is the number of pubs that lost their license prior to WW1 / around 1905. Does anyone have any idea why this was the case? Was it possibly competition from the Working Mens Clubs? Or possibly were some of the pubs being built at the time the equivalent of a Witherspoons establisment, thus putting the ale houses out of business?

The list does say "lost" their license; was there a temperance movement revival at the time? Anyone know the answer? I don't.
I know that there was a very big Temperance Revival just before and after the turn of the century (19th / 20th).

Sorry Tealeaf, but I digress;

As a little aside, and in memory to those pubs now long forgotten and gone to the brewery in the sky:

Just before the turn of the 19th century, my maternal Grandad use to live in Chorley. He got married at about 22 years of age and at this particular time had 1 daughter (my Auntie Bertha). When he was about 24 / 25 he drank quite a bit and was the worse for wear on many occasions. He also got stroppy after taking a drink and was wont to take off his coat and offer the other person "to go outside and fight like a man".
Well, one day in a pub in Chorley he'd had a couple too many and got into an argument with a fellow standing nearby. The result was a fight started outside the pub and my Grandad hit this bloke in the face and knocked his eye out. The bloke fell to the ground unconscious. The crowd that had gathered all groaned and told my Grandad that he'd killed the bloke.

Grandad was terrified and thought that he would go to jail for the rest of his life. He ran home, gathered up his wife, daughter, their possessions, put them on a hand cart and made his way along the canal to Burnley, to start a new life. A "moonlight flit" if ever there was one.

He swore that he would never drink in his life again! And joined the Temperance Band of Hope. He formally took an oath, made a pledge before the assembly and swore: "never to touch a drop of demon drink again or he would go to enternal damnation"

For several years all went well and my Grandad prospered. Then one day he was on the Cattle Market in Burnley when a man from the crowd called out his name and said "Tommy Platt, you are the man that knocked his eye out and nearly killed old John in such and such a pub in Chorley". The crowd stopped and all stared at Grandad..who was by now full of remorse and sweating profusely. "Oh it's alright" said the man in the crowd " It was only a glass eye"!!!!

As a testament to his dedication and honesty my Grandad never touched a drop of alcohol again in his life. He said "I took the pledge, and I meant it, so there's no reason to change my promise"

I've a few more stories about Grandad that my dad told me when I was but a toddler (I can remember those days as if they were yesterday - but forget where I've put mi glasses).

But they will wait untill another day
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 23:53   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just dug this up,fascinating breakdown of the union rd pubs, ive supped in 15 of em and thats not even half the list,the rest before my time, ANY advance on 15? still no answer to tealeafs question, perhaps someone knows who wern't a member when it was raised?
Old 13-07-2007, 08:09   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just dug this up,fascinating breakdown of the union rd pubs, ive supped in 15 of em and thats not even half the list,the rest before my time, ANY advance on 15? still no answer to tealeafs question, perhaps someone knows who wern't a member when it was raised?
When you consider that the population was smaller, and that half the town were good chapel goers, and therefore didn't drink, it's quite amazing just how many public houses there were in Ossy.

I suppose when you'd spent ten hours in a noisey mill you either found solace in the Lord, or the bottom of a glass.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 08:25   #9

i didnt realise there were that many
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 08:52   #10
God Member

Perhaps at that time beer was safer to drink than water

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 10:29   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Nowhere near Cashy, only 8 for me!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 11:57   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Nowhere near Cashy, only 8 for me!
i would have claimed 16 if the (Irish League) had been included,unfortunately the enterance was on the side street so it dont count.
Old 13-07-2007, 17:44   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

what a pub crawl that would have been!!
now theres only 7, thats a lot less than before!
Old 13-07-2007, 18:30   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
what a pub crawl that would have been!!
now theres only 7, thats a lot less than before!
it was n now i cant sodding drink.lol
Old 13-07-2007, 18:41   #15
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
it was n now i cant sodding drink.lol
why can ya not drink cashman?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..