Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2009, 13:15   #166
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Puzzle for kaytex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
The Government banned spitting in pubs and he couldn't afford to build a spitting shelter so he lost all of his customers
Very good Jeff

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2009, 18:38   #167
Senior Member+

I wonder if Retlaw knows that there is a beerhouse, the style of which leads me to think it was built in the pre-railway era, further along Blackburn road. It is called The Spread Eagle. Is it likely that there would be two pubs in close proximity with the same name? There may well have been a building on the Railway Hotel site, pre 1848, but I am not convinced it was a pub called The Spread Eagle. We don't know just when The Railway pub was built. I am wanting to admit that Retlaw is correct. He often, but not always, is.He seldom is temperate in presenting his pints,preferring to accuse others of blinkered viewing and playing mind games. If he didn't have some good qualities I would go round and break his windows.Them as lives in glasshouses......

Between the Railway Hotel and the Spread Eagle was another pub, though I don't know when it was built Not as early as the Spread Eagle I think. It was called The Albion ( Albion St is nearby) but since the 1870s (?) it has been called the Imperial.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 19:16   #168
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
but I am not convinced it was a pub called The Spread Eagle.
I am wanting to admit that Retlaw is correct. He often, but not always, is.
He seldom is temperate in presenting his pints,preferring to accuse others of blinkered viewing and playing mind games. If he didn't have some good qualities I would go round and break his windows.Them as lives in glasshouses......
You and who else Dobo, I'l have you for threatening behaviour

Between the Railway Hotel and the Spread Eagle was another pub, though I don't know when it was built Not as early as the Spread Eagle I think. It was called The Albion ( Albion St is nearby) but since the 1870s (?) it has been called the Imperial.
Your not joining the gang with the childish behavour of na na na nana prove it, and because you don't know where to look, and didn't find it first I'm wrong. Grow up.

Along Blackburn Rd/St, since it was built in 1827,
there has been 13 pubs, ale houses, call them what you will, in some sort of order are as follows.

Albion, Antley, Commercial, Crown, Free Trade. Gardners Arms, Hyndburn, Nags Head, Odd Fellows, Roundabout, Seven Stars, Thwaites Arms, Volunteer Arms and last but not least Ring o Feathers.

Remind me to ignore next time your in the Library. By the way read post 160 the building is a near enough copy of the Red Lion in Abbey St, but the opposite hand. When Blackburn Rd was built the stage coaches changed their route and no longer went past Court Farm to the Warner Arms, but stopped at the Spread eagle instead.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 13-11-2009 at 19:24.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 09:51   #169

Hi.
I'd like to add a bit to this thread, so here goes. As an historian I'm on the same level as Katex. This is what I've got to say.
I'm siding with Retlaw on this mainly because he has documents to prove that The Railway Hotel was known under a different name and the "stange"name of Eagle St. and pubs and churches were the satnavs of our yesterdays.
Why was it called Eagle St. ? There must be an explanation somewhere, the names of streets, usually, came from the names of Mayors, Landowners,Churches etc.. Before the railway came to Accy. Eagle St. would not have exsisted, I dont think it was called after the name of the bird because they nested round there, it's not their type of habitat.So, after the decision to build the station, land acquired etc., word would have spread to outlying districts and people would arrive in Accy. looking for work, when they asked for directions to the site they would have been told to turn left/right at the Eagle and go up "yon track", or the workers after a hard days work wanting to refresh their thirst went down the "road to the Eagle" . When this track became the access road to the station it already had a name Eagle Road/ St. Later on when it became fashionable to be associated with anything "railway" the owner of the Eagle changed its name to The Railway Hotel. If the pub had been a church it would have been called St Whatevers St.. Though I can't see the workers wanting "refresh their thirst" with holy water.
Though it may not be the correct explanation and a long one it seems a logical one.
Tetti
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 12:09   #170
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetti View Post
Hi.
I'd like to add a bit to this thread, so here goes. As an historian I'm on the same level as Katex. This is what I've got to say.
I'm siding with Retlaw on this mainly because he has documents to prove that The Railway Hotel was known under a different name and the "stange"name of Eagle St. and pubs and churches were the satnavs of our yesterdays.
Why was it called Eagle St. ? There must be an explanation somewhere, the names of streets, usually, came from the names of Mayors, Landowners,Churches etc.. Before the railway came to Accy. Eagle St. would not have exsisted, I dont think it was called after the name of the bird because they nested round there, it's not their type of habitat.So, after the decision to build the station, land acquired etc., word would have spread to outlying districts and people would arrive in Accy. looking for work, when they asked for directions to the site they would have been told to turn left/right at the Eagle and go up "yon track", or the workers after a hard days work wanting to refresh their thirst went down the "road to the Eagle" . When this track became the access road to the station it already had a name Eagle Road/ St. Later on when it became fashionable to be associated with anything "railway" the owner of the Eagle changed its name to The Railway Hotel. If the pub had been a church it would have been called St Whatevers St.. Though I can't see the workers wanting "refresh their thirst" with holy water.
Though it may not be the correct explanation and a long one it seems a logical one.
Tetti
There is no accounting for some of the names for streets in Accrington. One of the names I've never fathomed out is Lemonius St, and take Fox St for another, Foxes? behind the railway station?.
Then you have Cannon St, that is the 2nd street of that name in Acc, and there was a Water St before the one that runs paralell with Avenue Parade was created.
Retlaw
Old 14-11-2009, 14:14   #171

Hi. The impression I get is that there are people who do not seem to believe that there was a pub called The Spread Eagle before it was renamed The Railway Hotel, I was trying to make the point that there is evidence to back up your documentation. I dont have these documents nor do I have the census forms from 1841/51 and I am not in a position to visit the library I closed my eyes and tried to visualise that area of Accy.. The other thing I thought it could have been is that there was a Bank or other company that had an eagle as an emblem though I thought that very unlikely. There are probably other streets named after pubs, next quest for Katex perhaps!
Tetti
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 14:40   #172
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetti View Post
Hi. The impression I get is that there are people who do not seem to believe that there was a pub called The Spread Eagle before it was renamed The Railway Hotel, I was trying to make the point that there is evidence to back up your documentation. I dont have these documents nor do I have the census forms from 1841/51 and I am not in a position to visit the library I closed my eyes and tried to visualise that area of Accy.. The other thing I thought it could have been is that there was a Bank or other company that had an eagle as an emblem though I thought that very unlikely. There are probably other streets named after pubs, next quest for Katex perhaps!
Tetti
There were two families living in Eagle St in 1841.
Hutchinson's and the Hilton's.
So it was Eagle St before the railways came.

Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..