Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2009, 12:00   #61
I am Banned

Re: Puzzle for kaytex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The artist might have altered the scene a little to get a balanced composition
The artist who drew that picture must have had some draughtsmanship training as well. The picture is spot on in detail and position of the background buildings.
The other church is definitely NEW Jerusalem on Abbey St, it was finished in 1847/8. Oak St Congy's was'nt built until 1861.
As for Katy's complaint about compass directions, and the left a bit etc, depends which way your looking when you say left a bit.

Retlaw.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2009, 12:07   #62
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I agree, it's that one that was on Oak Street, wish I could find my books for names of places.

Ged away wi th Oak St Chapel wernt built then.

Retlaw.
Old 18-10-2009, 12:36   #63
I am Banned

This is a picture of Accrington from the air taken some time around 1933, you can see that Grange lane has been raised to meet the bottom of Timber St, Welly St and Manchester Rd, the Toll House has gone and the site
where the Fire Station was built has been cleared.
I've labeled some of the main buildings, so Katy will know which way to look with her left a bit directions.

Whoever took that picture was about 250 yrds to the right of where the 1848 picture was taken from, but he had the advantage of wings, the 1848 artist did'nt.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accy pre 1933.jpg (403.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 18-10-2009, 13:07   #64
Senior Member+

Tra la la la, tra la la - I still think you are W-R-O-N-G! and that I know the REAL answer Tra la la la la.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 13:26   #65
Senior Member+

Phew, having trouble scanning. Only doing half a picture, but .. better than nothing. ARE YOU READY FOR MY RESPONSE ....... (and if you tell me this building wasnt built then, I will CRY!) - i dont think the second building is a church at all ......

BANK HOUSE, thats what I think the building in the background of the Christ Church photo is ..... BANK HOUSE!

This view would also be in the artists sight I am sure. What we see here is the side wall of Bank House and a "tower" which I think is what can be seen on your sketch.
Well ..........??????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bankhouse.jpg (257.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 18-10-2009 at 13:29.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 13:54   #66
Resting in Peace

Have a funny feeling that you are both talking about different buildings on the picture ..

I'm looking at the one in the middle ?

Last edited by katex; 18-10-2009 at 13:58.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 14:58   #67
I am Banned

quote=Atarah;754680]Tra la la la, tra la la - I still think you are W-R-O-N-G! and that I know the REAL answer Tra la la la la.[/quote]

Tra la la la be blowed you only know the real answer cause I told you one hour ago.

And it Is THE NEW Jerusalm you skenning bat.
Get the street plan of 1848 I once gave you, and use a ruler from the position I gave you, and all will be revealed, and put your glasses on and think 1848 not 1948. Oak St Chapel didn't exist in 1848 how many times do you have to be told.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 18-10-2009 at 15:00.
Old 18-10-2009, 15:03   #68
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Have a funny feeling that you are both talking about different buildings on the picture ..

I'm looking at the one in the middle ?
Middle of what.

Retlaw.
Old 18-10-2009, 15:12   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Middle of what.

Retlaw.
Middle of the picture of course !! Left of Christ Church, then up a bit.

Do we actually know who painted this ? .. we only know that Enoch Bowker 'published' it.
Old 18-10-2009, 15:27   #70
I am Banned

Quote:
Middle of the picture of course !! Left of Christ Church, then up a bit.

Do we actually know who painted this ? .. we only know that Enoch Bowker 'published' it.
Do you mean this bit. Enlarged just for you.
Its the New Jerusalem on Abbey St, Oak St had one tall spire similar to the Wesleys on Spring Gardens.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1848-inset.jpg (40.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 18-10-2009, 15:50   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Do you mean this bit. Enlarged just for you.
Its the New Jerusalem on Abbey St, Oak St had one tall spire similar to the Wesleys on Spring Gardens.

Retlaw.

Yes .. but Atarah thought you were talking about the building on the right of Christ Church...right? Which is clearly Bank House. Oak Street never came into the equation..

Oh Blooming hek Retlaw .. just tell us where you think it was taken from ... LOL. The 100 yards answer was near enough ... go on then .. Royds Street. Is it possible to mark the spot for posterity ?
Old 18-10-2009, 16:01   #72
Resting in Peace

Aaah .. think you are getting mixed up with your answers to Bagpuss ..... this gets funnier ......
Old 18-10-2009, 16:22   #73
God Member

Retlaw - I can sense the rise in your blood pressure - best to give the answer before it gets worse

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 16:32   #74
I am Banned

Quote:
Yes .. butAtarah thought you were talking about the building on the right of Christ Church...right? Which is clearly Bank House. Oak Street never came into the equation..
Oh yes it did, who said Oak St Chapel.

Oh Blooming hek Retlaw .. just tell us where you think it was taken from ... LOL. The 100 yards answer was near enough ... go on then .. Royds Street. Is it possible to mark the spot for posterity ?
Give ore even she does'nt sken that much.

Your improving, thats near enough, the artist was stood where the houses would be built on Eaton Bank near the juction with Royds St. Thats the reason I could'nt duplicate the picture with the camera, all the buildings and the trees in front of Eaton Bank are in the way, but 60 ft up in the air above that house and all is revealed, then the viewing angle changes.

Retlaw.

There is supposed to be a similar picture some where that was painted from the bedroom of that house, but I've never seen it, but I'm going to make enquiries.

Last edited by Retlaw; 18-10-2009 at 16:40.
Old 18-10-2009, 17:48   #75
Resting in Peace

To finalise then .. we are talking round about here:-

Eaton Bank.jpg

That is, of course, if the artist did not embellish his/her painting.

I'm off now >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank's for an entertaining thread.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..