Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2009, 11:56   #106
I am Banned

Re: Puzzle for kaytex

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Gonna' try this again ...

I have a friend who lived in what could be the above house in Eaton Bank. The previous owner was an artist and may have painted the picture you seek.

My friend, coincidentally, lived very close, before moving to Eaton Bank, to Atarah. (and yerself by the sound of it)

Does that make any more sense Retalw ?? Earth to Retlaw.
Sarcastic beggar, I've lived here near 45 years,
don't know any one who moved from here to live up Eaton Bank.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2009, 12:22   #107

The Watson family who lived on Bishop St.,moved to Eaton bank circa 1950 to about 1961
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 17:25   #108
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyLes View Post
The Watson family who lived on Bishop St.,moved to Eaton bank circa 1950 to about 1961
Hahaha .. even before your time Retlaw ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 17:34   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
You will never get it, without indexing the 1841, 1851 census and merging them to see who was still occupying the same premises.

Retlaw.
Haven't forgotten this one ... contacts not proving too helpful. Will not give up ... !

Working the above system won't work, and was doing this before you mentioned it, you need a name ! Putting in addresses only brings up about 10 million options .. even the official Haslingden Registration references doesn't help. Any little hints would help though. Ok ... I know you will let me suffer.
Old 26-10-2009, 18:40   #110
I am Banned

Quote:
Haven't forgotten this one ... contacts not proving too helpful. Will not give up ... !

Working the above system won't work, and was doing this before you mentioned it, you need a name ! Putting in addresses only brings up about 10 million options .. even the official Haslingden Registration references doesn't help. Any little hints would help though. Ok ... I know you will let me suffer.
To right you are going to suffer, You need the census returns in your hands not on some one eyed goggle box.
The census returns need to be indexed in the right program for it to work. Thats why I can go back to 1828, which is before the census's, but I have a list of ratepayers from that year.
Keep the tears flowing typical female reaction when all else fails try tears.

I'm enjoying this, that teach you for the remark about manipulating men.
Retlaw.
Old 26-10-2009, 19:06   #111
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I'm enjoying this, that teach you for the remark about manipulating men.
Retlaw.

Eeew . you don't half bear a grudge...

So it's the library then ? Don't know whether I dare step in that domain ... might come across this gentleman sat in a corner covered in cobwebs.
Old 26-10-2009, 19:20   #112
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Is this still the question?

"I asked what was the name of the Railway Pub, before the railways were completed in Acc in 1847".

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 19:23   #113
I am Banned

Quote:
Eeew . you don't half bear a grudge...

So it's the library then ? Don't know whether I dare step in that domain ... might come across this gentleman sat in a corner covered in cobwebs.
Even going to the library may not help if you have no experience of navigating census returns.
And less of the gentleman, when you refer to me, and theres no cobwebs either.
Found a couple of pictures that will drive you even more crazy trying to identify them.

Retlaw.
Old 26-10-2009, 19:25   #114
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post

Yes
"I asked what was the name of the Railway Pub, before the railways were completed in Acc in 1847".
Retlaw.
Old 26-10-2009, 19:26   #115
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Great LOL's Bagpuss .. yes, this is still the last question on this thread that still hasn't been answered yet. Was a slight digression somewhere along the lines.

If you have any clues p l- eee- se feel free to post them ... I will give you some karma if you get it, 'cause Retlaw won't.....
Old 26-10-2009, 19:31   #116
Accy Red

I will ask my mum who was/is involved in the indexing of the census's.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 26-10-2009, 19:33   #117
Resting in Peace

Quote:
And less of the gentleman, when you refer to me,

Retlaw.
Wasn't what I was thinking
Old 27-10-2009, 18:35   #118
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I will ask my mum who was/is involved in the indexing of the census's.
Now that's a useful contact ...
Old 27-10-2009, 18:46   #119
Accy Red

Quote:
Now that's a useful contact ...
Not seen her yet but Retlaw seems to think she didn't do the years needed.

Old 10-11-2009, 19:45   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You will never get it, without indexing the 1841, 1851 census and merging them to see who was still occupying the same premises.

Retlaw.
Do not accuse me of not being a tenacious apprentice of this research into this matter of the pre-Railway Hotel name. Have just spent over 2 hours in the Local Studies of the library. Seemingly, "Retlaw had just left the building !" so we are not destined to meet, unless you were the gentleman with the walking stick I held the door open for ...

So far, the occupant of the Railway Hotel in 1851 was a John Stevenson and his family. I know I am correct ... was in your records.

Did cross reference with 1841 records .. he was a coachman then. Only person I could find with the title of Innkeeper on Blackburn Street/Road was a George Kendall ... no name of establishment ... damn

Back to the drawing board.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..