Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 20:13   #121
I am Banned

Re: Puzzle for kaytex

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Do not accuse me of not being a tenacious apprentice of this research into this matter of the pre-Railway Hotel name. Have just spent over 2 hours in the Local Studies of the library. Seemingly, "Retlaw had just left the building !" so we are not destined to meet, unless you were the gentleman with the walking stick I held the door open for ...
No you did'nt hold the door open for me, you would have run if you'd seen me, Freddy Kreuger looked like a saint compared to me, by the way leess of the gentleman when you refer to me.
So far, the occupant of the Railway Hotel in 1851 was a John Stevenson and his family. I know I am correct ... was in your records.

Did cross reference with 1841 records .. he was a coachman then. Only person I could find with the title of Innkeeper on Blackburn Street/Road was a George Kendall ... no name of establishment ... damn

Back to the drawing board.
were you looking at my index of the 1841 census and came across George Kendal. If so he is the man I didn't enter the name of the establishment when I printed that out for the library, its on the version in my computer though.
Knew you were no good as a detective, I was trained by my great uncle Sherlock of Baker St.

So carry on gnashing your teeth, and so much for your ability to control men.
Now who's laughing. ME.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-11-2009 at 20:17.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2009, 20:52   #122
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
were you looking at my index of the 1841 census and came across George Kendal. If so he is the man I didn't enter the name of the establishment when I printed that out for the library, its on the version in my computer though.

Retlaw.

Unfortunately .. no idea how to hack a computer...

Found this on the micro film for 1841. No name of establishment.

So, George Kendal is the correct Innkeeper then in 1841 ? So why did you say the 1851 and 1841 linked up then, seeing it was a John Stevenson in 1851 who was the Innkeeper ?

That blooming Ancestry site is a real rip off .. know tis showing him .. but not putting any more money on that one .. lost some with not using my £6.95 within 14 days ... arrrgh.

Just give us a clue .. when was it built ? The library seem to have a few years missing in their trade directories, had inns for 1821, then nothing up until it was called the Railway.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 23:47   #123
I am Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately .. no idea how to hack a computer...

So, George Kendal is the correct Innkeeper then in 1841 ? So why did you say the 1851 and 1841 linked up then, seeing it was a John Stevenson in 1851 who was the Innkeeper ?
Because you just looked for one particular building, check the other properties and the people to get the location.
That blooming Ancestry site is a real rip off .. know tis showing him .. but not putting any more money on that one .. lost some with not using my £6.95 within 14 days ... arrrgh.
I use Ancestry every time I'm in the library, that way you don't have to pay, the research I'm doing would cost a fortune, so far I've got the records of 196 men who served in the 11th Battalion East Lancs, plus 330 others and I've just started on the letter D. done A's & B's, not looked at the pension records yet.
Your a daft beggar, paying some Septic, for what are British records.
(and before you ask, Septic Tanks is rhyming slang for Yanks)
Just give us a clue .. when was it built ? The library seem to have a few years missing in their trade directories, had inns for 1821, then nothing up until it was called the Railway.
If you stand at the front door of that pub, and look south, the answer is right in front of you.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-11-2009 at 23:53.
Old 10-11-2009, 23:51   #124
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Not having a sense of direction i would guess "The Railway Bridge" or Aqueduct
Old 11-11-2009, 00:03   #125
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not having a sense of direction i would guess "The Railway Bridge" or Aqueduct
Your looking West,
I give up, I always thought men would know where they were at any given time, sober ones that is.

You've been drinking Lager, thats got female hormones in it, 10 pints of that and you talk daft and can't drive.
Women have an excuse as always. Any way Katex is supposed to find the answer if you do it she'l start swanking about women controlling men again.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-11-2009 at 00:08.
Old 11-11-2009, 00:12   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If you stand at the front door of that pub, and look south, the answer is right in front of you.

Retlaw
The Eagle ?

Was George Kendal(l) the proprietor/innkeeper of Kendall's Hotel then ?
Old 11-11-2009, 00:21   #127
I am Banned

Quote:
Your looking West,
I give up, I always thought men would know where they were at any given time, sober ones that is.

You've been drinking Lager, thats got female hormones in it, 10 pints of that and you talk daft and can't drive.
Women have an excuse as always. Any way Katex is supposed to find the answer if you do it she'l start swanking about women controlling men again.
Retlaw.
a
Old 11-11-2009, 00:26   #128
I am Banned

Quote:
The Eagle ?

Was George Kendal(l) the proprietor/innkeeper of Kendall's Hotel then ?
NO

Who told you where South was.
Thats only part of the name.
I hope you've been really frustrated with the answer. I've been enjoying it.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-11-2009 at 00:31. Reason: spell
Old 11-11-2009, 00:39   #129
God Member

Eagle and Child?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 00:40   #130
Resting in Peace

Spread Eagle ??
Golden Eagle ??
White Eagle ???
Black Eagle ???????
Lion and Eagle. ??

Last edited by katex; 11-11-2009 at 00:42.
Old 11-11-2009, 00:50   #131
I am Banned

Quote:
Spread Eagle ??
Golden Eagle ??
White Eagle ???
Black Eagle ???????
Lion and Eagle. ??
One of them is the right name, but now your just using the female scattergun ploy.
Why don't you try the old favourite female ploy.

When all else fails try tears.

I can hear you now bluudy men.

Ha Ha.

Retlaw.
By the way you left out Eagle & Child, Eagle & Crown & a few more but its not them either.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:17   #132
Resting in Peace

I'll go for either The Spread Eagle or Golden Eagle. Can I ask the audience ?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:34   #133
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I'll go for either The Spread Eagle or Golden Eagle. Can I ask the audience ?
don't reckon its spread eagle cos theres one approx 150 yds up blackburn rd.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:06   #134
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
don't reckon its spread eagle cos theres one approx 150 yds up blackburn rd.
Were talking back in the 1840's that Spread Eagle wasn't there then. The buildings along Blackburn Rd, didn't all appear at once, they were built at different times starting from the Peel building.

Retlaw
Old 11-11-2009, 12:24   #135
Senior Member+

Retlaw, you have absolutely LOST me on this thread. I do hope you have a good answer!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..