Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 11:54   #1
Junior Member+

Railway Terrace

Does anyone know if the part of Eagle Street between Paradise St. and Scaitcliffe bridge was ever known as Railway Terrace? I found the name 'Railway Terrace', on an 1853 baptism record from St James Church.

Cyril.
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2011, 19:39   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Railway Terrace

Not heard it so far as this street is concerned- there are no terraces in it. I wonder if the terrace between Edgar St and the railway viaduct has a name. Retlaw has a very good knowledge of terraces' names. I think there may be one in Huncoat, though the inhabitants there would be more likely to use Altham church. In 1853, the railway was still in its infancy ( the viaduct over King St is dated 1848) Knowing the name and looking at the 1851 census and subsequernt ones may throw light on the actual location.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 20:11   #3

There is a Railway Terrace in Gt.Harwood off Moss St. and Prospect St.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 21:27   #4
Senior Member+

Have to say, never heard of it, but ..... it does make sense, eh?
Will have a mooch and ask some questions .....
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 21:59   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Have to say, never heard of it, but ..... it does make sense, eh?
Will have a mooch and ask some questions .....
There is no property in that street on the 1848 map, there is nothing in the 1851 census, and it was only partially built on by 1866. Can't say I've ever heard of a Railway Terrace in Accrington. The only place I could imagine is Crawshaw St, but that was'nt there in 1853 either.
never seen any record refering to a Railway Terrace in Accrington.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-03-2011 at 22:05.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 22:00   #6
God Member

When I was little I lived on Railway Terrace but that was in Brierfield
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30   #7
Senior Member+

Cyril - please reveal the name of the child so as to help get to the bottom of this. Once that is known, we can learn where the parents lived from the census,and line it up with Railway Terrace.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:20   #8
Junior Member+

Thanks for the replies. I'll gather the info. re vital records and post asap.
Old 06-03-2011, 14:49   #9
Junior Member+

Please don’t bother doing any research. The reason I wondered if Railway Terrace was part of Eagle St. is just curiosity, brought about by what I have already found out, as follows.

In 1845, Henry Duxbury married Susannah Stansfield of Pendleton, in Eccles Parish Church near Manchester. Their son John was born later that year at Chapel Street, Accrington, and was Baptised in the same year in St. James Church, Accrington; their abode was still Chapel Street.

In 1848, their son Robert was born at 3, Lords Buildings (Oldfield Road), Salford. In July the same year, Henry died of TB. His death cert. shows his address as Mount Pleasant, Salford.

By 1851 the remaining family seem to have split up. John was living in Accrington with the Dawsons (his mother re-married in 1832) at a place known as Back Warner Arms; his brother, Robert, appears to be living nearby with his “father” (probably Uncle) John, at Union Street. The whereabouts of Susannah is not known. .

In 1853 Robert was Baptised at St. James Church, Accrington. He was given the additional name “Henry”, possibly in honour of his dead father. His abode was shown as Railway Terrace (Accrington?) but as coming from Manchester.

By 1861, John, aged 15, seems to be living with his uncle Robert Crabtree, at Grange Street, Accrington. He married, seven years later and his residence is shown as Grange Street. Meanwhile, Robert Henry was still living with his “father” but now at 49 Eagle Street, Accrington.

In 1869 Robert Henry married whilst living at Eagle St. He then lived at various addresses in Accrington till his death in 1923. He was buried in the same grave as his brother who had died in 1894.

Thanks again,
Cyril.
Old 19-02-2012, 21:51   #10
Give, give, give member

From the Illustrated London News, 1867.

Caption reads 'Schoolhouse at Accrington, where nine children were burnt to death'.

Mention two of the names of the dead children being James Duckworth, and Robert Wilson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1297.jpg (63.0 KB, 37 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 09:47   #11
Senior Member+

I have sent a PM to Cyril to say that I can put him in touch with a chap researching Duxburys.
Have just checked my 1951 directory: there were 5 houses on Eagle St between Cannon St & Paradise St ,then a lot miore up to Scaitcliffe St, and this incluided Eagle Yard,where there were 4 dwellings, numberd 4,5,6,7. (were others planned?) At No 41 Eagle St, between Cannon & Scaitcliffe Sts lived a T Duxbury, printer.
Old 20-02-2012, 16:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
From the Illustrated London News, 1867.

Caption reads 'Schoolhouse at Accrington, where nine children were burnt to death'.

Mention two of the names of the dead children being James Duckworth, and Robert Wilson.
Does anyone have any more information about this tragedy?
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 17:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
There are quite a few newspaper articles on line which you can access through Lancahire Library site. Just had a quick look and it quite in depth.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 17:38   #14

Thank you, I'll have a look.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 22:12   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Just found this, in the Telegraph.

'Then there was the fire in Accrington in 1867, which claimed the lives of nine children at James Duckworth’s knitting place under the railway arches of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.

The works were on the ground floor, with a catholic school for 100 pupils above.

An inquest at the Crown Hotel gave the verdict of the children being burnt to death, but there was no evidence to show how the fire started.'

The dark side of the Red Rose county (From Lancashire Telegraph)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..