Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2007, 09:38   #1
Junior Member+

Request for pics / info

Hi All - new to site
I am one of your local dentists (boo hiss) and trying to research our property - it's the one on Whalley Rd at the traffic lights with Queens Rd, also known as Glenlyon.
We know it was built in 1888, with a postwar extension, and we know it was a dentist during WW2.
In all the pics of old Accy Ive seen, + in several presentations by local historians, these premise have never shown up. Somebody out there must have old pics of this building, and if anyone has any pre-war info on the building's history I would love to hear from you.
Incidentally, we have just had some big trees coppiced and the tree rings suggested theyve been in for about 80 years
wilky188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2007, 11:44   #2
God Member

Re: Request for pics / info

hi wilky welcome to accyweb... and good luck with the research..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 18:41   #3

If you go to the Annex in the Accrington library reference room(upstairs),they have one of the best collections of local history in the county.The assistants are very helpful.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 20:03   #4
God Member

That was Horsefield Cookson & Robinson's dentists -I was a patient about 20 years ago - I don't know more than that - the property deeds should tell you a lot.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 19:13   #5

Just a small point, was it really necessary to chop down an eighty year old tree? No doubt there was a reason. Just asking because they are all slowly dissappearingin that area. Noticed another couple secretly removed from around the Mount car park recently, also root damage due to trench works. Will have to see what impact that has in the future!
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:19   #6
Junior Member+

The trees were cut down cos the Council keep having a go at us about overhanging branches hitting passing vehicles. They are also not very patient if you tell them that your tree surgeon is busy and cant come for 3 months - they tell you they will bring their own dept round and do it for you ( no doubt at exorbitant expense - to me ). The trees concerned had no preservation orders on them, and they were coppiced - they will sprout again from their bases so they have not been killed
Old 11-05-2007, 12:10   #7

Councillors, don't give a toss do they. There's probably loads of trees where they live (in the Ribble Valley no doubt). Personally I would've trimmed the branches back.
Equate it to removing a tooth, not the full set!
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 13:59   #8
Junior Member+

No it was my call to cut them - it was too big a job for me personally, but when they sprout again and grow they will make more of a hedge type arrangement that I can trim myself then. We trimmed them a few years ago and it didnt last too long. Coppicing will prolong the life and usefulness of the trees...and I get lots of lovely firewood for my stove into the bargain !
Old 11-05-2007, 16:08   #9
Resident Waffler

It sounds like you opted for an excellent compromise regarding the trees Wilky. Chopped back to suit council requirements but didn't kill them off so they will continue to grow.

I used to go to that dentists when it was Horsefield and Cookson. Not a happy experience for me I am sorry to say. Have you been there long? There was a sort of porch on the front of the building which I think has been removed.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 21:16   #10

I Welcome To The Web And Good Luck With Your Resurch
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 15:10   #11
Full Member+

Just been doing some digging at the library and found the following
From 1878 to 1893 Thomas Tritton Lever a retired tailor/draper from Deal, Kent was living at 118 Whalley Road.
In 1894, John Peters an oil merchant from Scotland moved there until 1901.
In 1902, Edward Lewis Lever, son of Thomas moved in and lived there until 1906 when..
1907 John Peters moved back, living there until 1925.
In 1925 Henry Heys Duckworth and his wife Elizabeth lived there until 1932.
From 1932 Stanley and Gwendolyn Horsfield arrived. The premises were shown to be a dentists under Mr Horsfield in the Barretts directory of 1942, and the rest is history!
I may be asking for discount on my next treatment!!
Old 14-05-2007, 07:14   #12
Junior Member+

Willow - Ive been here 19 years, and there has NEVER been a porch on the front while Ive been here - so you are going back a long way mate.

Uncle Mick - thanks for that, but one of your references dates to 1878 (we have the deeds which date to 1888) and is regarding 118 WR not 188. Horsefield obviously is correct - the others I dont know
Old 14-05-2007, 19:10   #13
Full Member+

Ooops, I am due an eye test! John Peters lived at Glenlyon ( Then classed as 100 Whalley Road, counting back from The Crown ) from 1891 until 1928. He worked for Baron, Peters and Co oil merchants which became John Peters and Co oil and tallow merchants. In 1929 Hannah Baron Pickup, Edith Whittaker and Annie McGrath moved in until 1932. In the late 1890`s the next door neighbour was the grandly named Hannibal Ramsbottom.
Old 26-01-2008, 09:19   #14

Re 118 Whalley Road residency.

You have quoted that from 1925 to 1932, these premises were occupied by Henry Heys Duckworth and Elizabeth.

These are distant relatives of mine. Henry (born Accrington 28th September 1901 - died St. Brelade, Crown Dependency of Jersey 5th August 1995) rose from humble origins (father John Thomas Duckworth was a Blacksmith) to be a financier that bought Forboys Newsagents. He was Provincial Grand Master of Jersey.

He endowed a Trent Class All Weather Lifeboat 14-15 Henry Heys Duckworth ON1213 for the RNLI. This is normally stationed at Whitby, but stands in elsewhere when another vessel is out of service.

He married Lilian Dorothy Scott; Elizabeth, that was his sister - not his wife, was one of several other siblings.

After the death of his first wife on 19th July 1978, Harry, as he preferred to be known, married Lilian Ethel Rorrison nee Davis, widow of Alfred Ward Rorrison, on 9th December 1978 at St. Helier. One of his step-daughters was married to the son of Dorothy Leigh Sayers. There are other household names linked to this branch of his acquired family.
JohnIGoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 20:45   #15
Senior Member+

Request for pics / info

There you go!

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dentists.JPG (227.4 KB, 109 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..