Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tealeaf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2011, 14:03   #1

Question Roman Lamp?

Apologies if this has been explored before - I searched and couldn't find it.

I was doing some research recently and found two articles that mentioned a Roman Lamp being found in Baxenden. Take a look at this one on the Lancashire County Site (pg7), and this one on the Hyndburn Council Site (pg6). Roman artifacts found "near Oak Hill Park" are also referred to, but it's all very vague. I wasn't aware of any Roman artifacts being found in Accrington.

I know that this doesn't neceserily indicate a settlement of any kind, but most info I've read says pretty firmly that the Romans weren't present in Accrington at all; in any capacity. Can anyone shed any light on it?
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2011, 15:08   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Roman Lamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
Apologies if this has been explored before - I searched and couldn't find it.

I was doing some research recently and found two articles that mentioned a Roman Lamp being found in Baxenden. Take a look at this one on the Lancashire County Site (pg7), and this one on the Hyndburn Council Site (pg6). Roman artifacts found "near Oak Hill Park" are also referred to, but it's all very vague. I wasn't aware of any Roman artifacts being found in Accrington.

I know that this doesn't neceserily indicate a settlement of any kind, but most info I've read says pretty firmly that the Romans weren't present in Accrington at all; in any capacity. Can anyone shed any light on it?
This site confirms there are no known Roman settlement remains in the area, though there have been many coins found. On the link below, in the conclusion, it raises the question whether the Kings Highway could have been a Roman road.

Lancashire County Council: Environment Directorate: Historic Highways

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 15:51   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

While not large settlements in the area stated (Hyndburn) Manchester, Chester in the North west were major centres during Roman times & to the East York & the Humber. So I would assume the finds to be from single independent outposts/fortified farms & suchlike probably on a major thoroughfare used for trade between opposite sides of the Country.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 16:14   #4

So am I right in saying that the general consensus is that Accrington probably lies near a trade/travel route or remote farmstead; but no-ones 100% sure? I suppose that it would be almost impossible to know anything more conclusive without years of digging.

Does anyone know if the local finds are exhibited somewhere?

Last edited by Pudwoppa; 28-02-2011 at 16:17.
Old 28-02-2011, 16:50   #5
Senior Member+

I am not aware of any Roman finds. Certainly there was no Roman encampment opr presence nearer than Ribchester and Accrington isn't
on a recognised Roman road. The King's Highway is thought to be medieval at least. It gets a mention in 'Leading the Way' by Alan Crosby, a series of essays. Mary Higham touches on this road.
Aty the back end of the year, the County Archaeology Dept run a day of lectures in Preston. I will post about it when the date is known.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 22:03   #6
Senior Member+

Roman Lamp

Pudwoppa - Can I just say thanks a million for posting this Lancashire County site link. I didnt even know it existed. A heck of a lot of reading to do, but ..... fascinating to know the site exists. Thank you so much!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 18:55   #7

The Romans used the prehistoric fort at Portfield Bar(junction of Accrington/Whalley/Padiam roads) as a look-out post close to the Roman road which went through Simonstone in the Burnley direction.This is not that far from Accrington and there would have been much hunting and looking for food in the area so there would have been lost property. Also the local Brits. would have small farms which would have been visited by Romans.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 15:52   #8

Doing some reading this weekend and found this map (page 93). It shows the specific sites of Roman finds in Accrington/Baxenden.

There's also a section on page 21 "4.2 Romano-British" that discusses. I'd post the map and text but I'm unsure on copyright??!
Old 05-11-2012, 19:31   #9
God Member

Don't suppose anyone had a link to an image of the lamp anywhere?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 20:58   #10
I am Banned

Just bacause a Roman Lamp has been found in Accrington, doesn't mean the Romans left it here, it could have come into the possession of any one in the last 2000 years, found and lost many times, may even have been part of some ones private collection, and dumped on their death by unknowing relatives. Some folk are too willing to believe owt.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 21:18   #11
God Member

Retlaw it matters not for what I need the image for, that it is Roman and was found near here is enough for my requirements, sometimes threw is note to a request than could be visible to the passing observe r

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 16:34   #12
Senior Member+

It's possible that the County Archaeology Dept at County Hall keep an index of locations where stuff has been found. Ask'em
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 17:42   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
It's possible that the County Archaeology Dept at County Hall keep an index of locations where stuff has been found. Ask'em
Pudwoppa has already done this, Bob. See #8.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 18:56   #14
God Member

I seem to recall examining this lamp quite some years ago. If I recollect correctly, the lamp was inscribed with the following:

"Aladdinus Accyae Stan - stuffat Dinglae et Rovus"

..or summat like that anyway.
Frank T likes this.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
archeology, history, lamp, roman

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..