Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2009, 18:35   #46
Junior Member+

Re: Roughlee Nursing Home Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHLEE View Post
Just joined yesterday evening. I was born in Roughlee Nursing Home in 1941, and then lived at 32 Burnley Lane Huncoat until just before the end of the war. My earliest childhood memories are feeding hens in the back garden with my father. My job was to feed the blind hen from a bucket of slop. I have memories of quarry buckets travelling on overhead wires, and a small iron railed grassed memorial garden within walking distance of Burnley Lane. My mother pushed me to my grandparents who lived at 22 Station Road for me to have a tuppa tea with my Nan. One day, my mother couldn't find me and searched everywhere. I was eventually found sitting on a door step with one Amy Bracewell eating beetroot and baked potato. I came home with fleas! Sorry Amy if you're still around. I wore clogs and used to tap dance on the stone kitchen floor. The roof leaked. My parents returned to Liverpool before 1945, because I have a photograph of me at a VE day street party in Liverpool. I remember, in Liverpool, having the mickey taken whenever I used the expression "Give Over!"

I believe Roughlee was demolished. Anyone have any photos of Roughlee?
Does 32 Burnley Lane Huncoat exist? Any photos ? Am working hard on a mammoth family ancestry project at the moment. Any help would be very very gratefully appreciated. I now live in South Oxfordshire

Best wishes to all
to roughlee nursing wanting information about burnley lane i have all information that you need would like you to get into contact so i can show the information
from amy bracewell who live at 21 burnley lane almost across the road from you hope to hear something.
Amy Bracewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2009, 18:36   #47
Junior Member+

to roughlee nursing wanting information about burnley lane i have all information that you need would like you to get into contact so i can show the information
from amy bracewell who live at 21 burnley lane almost across the road from you hope to hear something.
Amy Bracewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 13:27   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I was born there in 1957. It is indeed still a Residential Care Home for the Disabled. The Old Building was demolished, but part of the old wall is still standing.

Best Regards - Taggy

I was born there in 1960 - anyone out there after that?
Old 01-02-2009, 15:08   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rose View Post
I was born there in 1960 - anyone out there after that?
Me in 1970. though how many more there is or likely to admit it then pass.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 19:42   #50

I am coming up to stay in Burnley for two nights on Narch 2nd and 3rd. I'll be staying at the Rosehill House Hotel Burnley to meet up with my cousin. I will take a bus or taxi to Burnley Lane to photograph No. 32
Want to meet up ?

Kind regards

Paul
ROUGHLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 00:16   #51

My youngest daughter was born at Rough Lee on 2nd Dec 1970 - does she get the prize?
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 20:16   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
My youngest daughter was born at Rough Lee on 2nd Dec 1970 - does she get the prize?
14th May 70

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 20:23   #53
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post

Prize for what, have I missed summat?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:32   #54
Senior Member+

I have just come across a card printed for the Municipal Nursing Home, Rough Lee, by the Corporation. It is probably from the 30s. Details include:-

Near Christ Church St, Manchester Rd. One penny stage from the centre on the Baxenden bus route....Visiting (Weekdays) Each evening 8pm to 8.30pm (Sundays 3.30pm to 4.15pm......Antenatal clinic on Fridays 10am to 12. ....Rate of fees:- Residents of the borough 9s per day, Non-residents 10/6d per day. Booking fee included in the above charges of 10/6d to be paid in advance.....Requisits for patients:- brush and comb,tooth brush and paste,sponge or flannel, elastic belt, 1pr stockings,1pr bedroom slippers. Optional are:- 3 nightgowns,dressing gown,bed jacket, towels......For further particulars, see the matron

The fees would still be payable unti 1948 when the NHS was started.

I am giving this item to the library.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 16:29   #55
Senior Member+

I ws born there 22 July 1939 - middle of Accrington Wakes. Up until reading this thread I have never seen either a picture or th place itself. I think we lived in the last house towards Church on the North side of Countess St at the time. Thank you all.
Old 01-02-2010, 16:34   #56
God Member

is it an urban legend about a nurse killing babies at roughlee hospital in baxenden or did it actually happen , i recall been told about it a long long time ago but never realy looked into it .

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 17:52   #57
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
is it an urban legend about a nurse killing babies at roughlee hospital in baxenden or did it actually happen , i recall been told about it a long long time ago but never realy looked into it .
Rough Lee Maternity Hospital was never in Baxenden, its the last property at the top of the paved area of Rough Lee Rd.
It was the old home of the Nutter family. During WW1 the Slingers were living there when their son George was killed in November 1916.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:56   #58

Rough lee house was demolished and a pourpose built home for handicaped built about 1982. It it is now run by the Alex group(A body of volunters)and has fourteen residents living there including my daughter,it has the highest standards rating award possible and is a very nice home ,if you wish to visit or want further information contact me on [email protected] or ring the home . Denbo
denbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:48   #59
God Member

I was born there in 1963 -my Great-Aunt Lucy used to live just across the road from one entrance -on Lydia Street (I think). I remember seeing the old place -quite an impressive building.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 13:11   #60
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I was born there in 1963 -my Great-Aunt Lucy used to live just across the road from one entrance -on Lydia Street (I think). I remember seeing the old place -quite an impressive building.
Lydia St is well over 1/2 mile from Rough Lee, there is only one entrance & thats into Rough Lee Rd.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..